• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ pulling a 25 ft sea ray

I'm pretty sure my Jeep manual says my 95 country tow package XJ is rated at 5000lbs. I would think gearing and break upgrades would add a little as well. I would think with trailer brakes and no big grades you should do fine.

You guys would pull this behind your XJs?

IMG_0828.jpg

I'm pretty sure my Jeep manual says my 95 country tow package XJ is rated at 5000lbs. I would think gearing and break upgrades would add a little as well. I would think with trailer brakes and no big grades you should do fine.
And 7" lift with 33" tires takes a lot away. It's not just a matter of can I pull it and stop it, it's a matter of can I control it. A 7" lift makes the XJ less stable to begin with, throw in a 5-6000 lb trailer, and I know I'd give you a wide berth if I saw you coming down the road.

if you leave the driveway with a 25' footer behind your xj your an idiot... i used to be in the the marine business so ive hauled a lot of boats.... 25 is doable with a 1/2 ton but anywhere out of town i took the deisel. if you only get one thing out of this please take this DO NOT DO THIS PLEASE!!!!!! YOU WILL HURT SOMEONE!!

ps to the guy who said xj is rated at 5k its probably 5k TOTAL (xj and trailer) it only weighs 3800 pounds before you put a trailer on it

after continuing to read the thread and seeing people giving advice on what to do should you tow it with the xj let me reiterate.....

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WEIGHS MORE THAN THE XJ THERE IS NO SAFE WAY THIS IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!

IF you bought the boat and thought your xj was a responsible means to move it sorry your wrong, find a buddy with at least a 1/2 ton, im not trying to be an ass but i have a lot of experience with boats.

Don't listen to doug. My recommendation is to hook 'er all up and let 'er rip. Then post in the 'Top Speed' thread that was just floating around here.

Make sure you do all this on the salt flats so you can hit 88mph.

sure, but get some really big parachutes so you can stop.

Nope, this is a terrible idea. Getting it moving is one thing, getting it to turn or stop moving again is another thing entirely and an XJ simply can't do it safely.

a d35 with duallies is just as good as a d70 with singles

sure, but get some really big parachutes so you can stop.

Nope, this is a terrible idea. Getting it moving is one thing, getting it to turn or stop moving again is another thing entirely and an XJ simply can't do it safely.

not that I would ever tow that boat with an XJ but stopping would be the least of my concerns! I assume it has trailer brakes and if set up right it would stop fine!

maybe on flat roads. say bye to ur leafs.... and any decline or incline you tackle.especially on a boat ramp when u need to pull the boat out of the water ur jeep wont handle it...I agree with the previous posts, u need at least a 1500 series truck to tow that boat SAFELY

ps to the guy who said xj is rated at 5k its probably 5k TOTAL (xj and trailer) it only weighs 3800 pounds before you put a trailer on it
Tow capacity is the capacity which can be towed. ;)

I think you are thinking of GVWR, which is weight of vehicle plus load.

Yeah uh NO, NO, and HELL NO!

Towing a 25' boat behind an XJ unless its down the street is an EXTREMELY unwise move...

it is down the street....then the next street and the next street and the next street

I plan on towing my 17ft glastron around but it weighs under 1500lb with trailer. And when i was scouting hitches for my 95 im sure i read somewhere about not exceeding a 750lb tongue weight.

Zero

By the time you get to around 450 you will probably have the rear axle on the bumpstops.

I've towed around 3k (2k trailer plus some building materials) and it went pretty ok, just had to remember stopping distance. It was about as much as I would tow though.

Back