• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winter (can we really call this winter?) projects

Well, I'm doing some body work. Installed half doors on the front and gutted the rear doors, and am putting on two newer front fenders and a newer hood. Got the hood louvered, 72 louvers ought to help keep it cooler under there. While I have the fenders off I added a hood hoop to the front bumper and tied the under fender bars to it. All four doors got diamond plate up to and including the break right under the door handles........it was that or do body work to all four doors. Still need to cut out the rear wheel wells to clean them up and put new diamond plate on the rear quarters. Also replaced my totally thrashed rock rails with some Super Nerfs, sort of a project since everything is welded and they're tied into the cage. I have four new doors for street use that need to be installed and painted, but that's going to have to wait a month.

Should be ready for vacation in two weeks.

Goatman said:
Well, I'm doing some body work. Installed half doors on the front and gutted the rear doors, and am putting on two newer front fenders and a newer hood. Got the hood louvered, 72 louvers ought to help keep it cooler under there. While I have the fenders off I added a hood hoop to the front bumper and tied the under fender bars to it. All four doors got diamond plate up to and including the break right under the door handles........it was that or do body work to all four doors. Still need to cut out the rear wheel wells to clean them up and put new diamond plate on the rear quarters. Also replaced my totally thrashed rock rails with some Super Nerfs, sort of a project since everything is welded and they're tied into the cage. I have four new doors for street use that need to be installed and painted, but that's going to have to wait a month.

Should be ready for vacation in two weeks.

Got pics of this louvered hood? Did you get it done at a shop out in Bakersfield? How much was it and how long did it take? How thinck was the diamond plate you used? 3/16"? Thanks.

-Mike

Im building a trailer out of a MJ bed. So far its all tacked together. I need to make some adjustments and weld her up.

I brushed three inches of snow off the 88 this morning. I unhooked the trickle charger and started it up. I let it warm up while I pumped up the tires. I moved it forward and back to get it unstuck from the ice and snow, and I found the 2005 tag in the center console. It was too cold to put the sticker on the plate. The road off the mountain to JV is washed out.

I shut it down and locked it back up, and drove the truck down the hill with sleet sprinkles chasing me to Corona.

What was the question?

Finished the gears and tires that I got for an Xmas present
Finished hombrew swaybar links.
Got to work on the front fender clearence/bumstop issue that I discovered out in DV
Figure out what the howl/hum is coming from my t-case in 4Hi
Design/build new rear bumper/tire carrier. 200+ miles of washboard/DV trails makes things crack.
Go wheeling next weekend in Calico

Kejtar said:

Why, sure...

AX1.jpg

AX2.jpg

I know it's only a 30, but it's purty one, with super duper special metal inside, full circle deelie whoppers, a Detroit with all the parts, and a jagged ring thing with more jagged edges.

--ron

Captain Ron said:
Why, sure...

AX1.jpg

AX2.jpg

I know it's only a 30, but it's purty one, with super duper special metal inside, full circle deelie whoppers, a Detroit with all the parts, and a jagged ring thing with more jagged edges.

--ron
what did you do with the old one? take it appart for spares?

Let’s see, winter projects.

Finally made a decision on a rack, got it on already. The front and rear lights for it though are still sitting in the box.

Front and rear bumpers are on order and should ship in about a week and a half.

Winch for the new front bumper ordered yesterday and should be here plenty ahead of the bumpers.

New battery and a few wiring upgrades to keep my fire extinguisher a virgin.

If that ground hog was correct, there should be enough winter left ahead for me to avoid having to call these spring projects!

:D

Bent said:
Front and rear bumpers are on order and should ship in about a week and a half.
What did you order?

Winch for the new front bumper ordered yesterday and should be here plenty ahead of the bumpers.
:twak: not that winch is a bad idea, but when are you going to get your gears and axles setup? :D

Kejtar said:
What did you order?

:twak: not that winch is a bad idea, but when are you going to get your gears and axles setup? :D

Front (low profile)and rear bumpers are from C-Rok.
Wasn't going to do the winch so soon, but this last Sunday kinda changed my mind. :D

As far as the axles go, I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want to do. :scratch head:

replaced brake pads, battery, water pump. Now I need to diagnose the overheating and drain a little oil (had it done by a place on base and they put in 6 instead of 5.5 qts)
Installed a BB (details in sig and thanks Stephan, Johnny, and Matt) and 30x9.5 MTs. Bridgestone front and Enforcer rear. smushed my front bumper cap (does that count as trail damage? :) ), have tow hooks and brackets ready to install and no time/place to do it. Put on fog/driving lights (thanks Matt for the hookup).
Otherwise I'm too poor to have winter projects... :(

Re: winter (can we really call this winter?) projects **Kudos to RIGIDCO*

I got the rock rails on finally (a couple of weeks ago) and I just got my bumper from RIGIDCO, I'd have to say his custom boxes, very nice instructions, and detailed parts list in seperate baggies!!

For being a home brew company out of his garage, the quality is well worth the wait! And Quite reasonable also. :wave:

Scott Suyeto

RisingSun said:
I got the rock rails on finally (a couple of weeks ago) and I just got my bumper from RIGIDCO, I'd have to say his custom boxes, very nice instructions, and detailed parts list in seperate baggies!!

For being a home brew company out of his garage, the quality is well worth the wait! And Quite reasonable also. :wave:

Scott Suyeto

Any pics? What kind of rails?

-Mike

Mike L said:
Any pics? What kind of rails?

-Mike

I got Kevins offroad rock rails, they come with self taping bolts to thread thru the unibody, but I decided to just bolt them all the way thru the frame... As for the bumper, still painting it. It came with "C-rok type" steering box side mounts, I'm still waiting on picking a new power steering pump, ZJ pitman arm. I have a steering box from a 96 XJ in my garage to mount it on.

Mike - Want to give me hand when I'm ready to put it on? I'll probably need a hand. Maybe sometime towards the end of the month, or in March. Funds are short since I missed a week between jobs.

Scott

RisingSun said:
I got Kevins offroad rock rails, they come with self taping bolts to thread thru the unibody, but I decided to just bolt them all the way thru the frame... As for the bumper, still painting it. It came with "C-rok type" steering box side mounts, I'm still waiting on picking a new power steering pump, ZJ pitman arm. I have a steering box from a 96 XJ in my garage to mount it on.

Mike - Want to give me hand when I'm ready to put it on? I'll probably need a hand. Maybe sometime towards the end of the month, or in March. Funds are short since I missed a week between jobs.

Scott

Sure, bring your rig over and we can take a look at it. We can trim your fenders at the same time. When you bolted them all the way through the frame, did you sleeve it? I hope you did.

-Mike

Mike L said:
Sure, bring your rig over and we can take a look at it. We can trim your fenders at the same time. When you bolted them all the way through the frame, did you sleeve it? I hope you did.

-Mike
yeah what he said :D IF you didn't sleeve the bolts, pull the rails off and sleeve them.

RisingSun said:

Scott
i also recently got a rigidco bumper and managed to install it in just over 3 hours, working by myself. i painted it the day before and already had the fenders cut, so i had a bit of a head start :D If you need an extra pair of hands, or just want to use mine for reference let me know!

cbremer said:
i also recently got a rigidco bumper and managed to install it in just over 3 hours, working by myself. i painted it the day before and already had the fenders cut, so i had a bit of a head start :D If you need an extra pair of hands, or just want to use mine for reference let me know!

Very Cool! I am working with Terry on ordering my front bumper this weekend. I will need some help getting it installed when it come in. I don't think it will be in until mid-to late March.

I will also be adding a shackle in the rear, poly spacs up front, SYE/driveshaft, and a powertrax "locker" in the rear.

Does the flood repair count? LOL

Oh yeah, just had front pinion bearing & seal replaced. nice and quiet now. Thanks MR.

Robert

Hi :wave:

As our winter means there is a lot of snow - i will do it in spring. What I wanna do:

Customize my rock rails so that i can mount/unmount them quickly.

A new hood with ventilation grille to get the heat out in summer. (My XJ 2,5TD Diesel engine is known for cylinder head cracks when it gets too hot.) Still wasn't too hot but better to be prepared.

Additional water pump (electrical). And a timer to run it after stopping the engine. So the water flow can cool the engine after it stopped.

Car service (Changing all oils, filters).

And today i have to find a shortage in the wiring. The starter fuse is blown every time i try to start. :repair:

greetings from Austria
Rainer

:wave: hi Sequoia - don'T you have to repair your swaybar? or is it already done?

Back