• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wife wants a hand gun

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
question is what would be good for her. she is large like me (fat) but kinda feminine in the hands so I dont want her to have a cannon but Im thinking a 9mm compact would be appropriate. any sugestions???

For any one with limited experience I'd suggest a wheel gun. The reasoning is this..... It is ready to fire. period. treat it that way. period. no safety. period. This provides more safety for the user because there is nothing to worry about. You don't need to spend an hour at the gun range each week to maintain your skills in Loading, reloading, clearing jams, etc.

Models I'd look at
Taurus 617. light weight, but not too light. 7 shots. inexpensive. .38 to practice with .357 mag to carry for personal protection.

If your dead set on a auto loader. I'd go for the Springfield XD in 9mm
Sub Compact/Compact/Full size??? no one can know. Take her to the gun store and find the one that fits. This is one of the simplest autoloaders made. No outward safety to fumble with. But it'll never be as solid as a revolver.

Revolver. She will throw it in her purse and under her seat getting an auto dirty. She will have to learn how to operate a much more complex gun with a safty if you go automatic. All she has to know is a long smooth trigger pull with a revolver. A .38 is a great low kick small gun and you will have a lot of choices. My ex carried a Charter Arms .38 and it was allways one of my favorite guns. Put shinny tip hollow points in it because if she points it at sombody they will see all those bullets in the chamber and crap before she has to use it. Revolvers rule for reliability and simplicity period. Why would she actually need to carry a gun anyway?

I have a Taurus 617 Stainless. If the wife is going to practice with it frequently, I HIGHLY reccomend it. I keep it in the house loaded with .38+P 125 Gr JHP loads.

I carry the same weapon with full house .357 125gr JHP rounds.

It depends on what your wife can handle. I'm still getting used to the weapon, but can hit pretty good groups with it in .38+P. My wife prefers .38 130gr FMJ loads, but knows what it would do in a home defense situation.

The best advice is to take her out, find what she is comfortable with and can shoot well. And is willing to carry.

The 617 I have, has gone through a 250 round session (38, 38+P and .357) without a single malfunction. It's just a damn good piece.

Check this thread for me shooting it. Can post or PM some of the wifes targets if interested. http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9476

Stumpalump said:
Revolver. She will throw it in her purse and under her seat getting an auto dirty. She will have to learn how to operate a much more complex gun with a safty if you go automatic. All she has to know is a long smooth trigger pull with a revolver. A .38 is a great low kick small gun and you will have a lot of choices. My ex carried a Charter Arms .38 and it was allways one of my favorite guns. Put shinny tip hollow points in it because if she points it at sombody they will see all those bullets in the chamber and crap before she has to use it. Revolvers rule for reliability and simplicity period. Why would she actually need to carry a gun anyway?

Um I don't agree with any of that. I guess if you buy a crappy auto. My Sig is always ready to fire. No safeties to worry about and nothing but a sweet trigger pull.

And no someone is not going to see the silvered tipped bullets and run..

Robber 1: Lets jack this lady
Lady pulls gun
Robber 2: Um dude are thos shinny tipped bullets in that gun
Robber 1: Hang on let me look closer, crap man they are shinny tipped bullets
Robber 2: Man lets get out of here..

Depends. Revolvers have a much shallower learning curve - for the reasons mentioned.

If it's going to get carried about, just teach her "five beans in a wheel" - the chamber under the hammer, when stored, should be empty. This helps to prevent NDs. When the hammer is actually cocked (by the thumb or the trigger,) the cylinder will advance one, and there will be a round under it when it's done.

There is no safety. Don't want the gun to fire? Keep your finger off the trigger.

Revolvers don't jam, stovepipe, fail to feet, fail to extract, or fail to eject. No IA drills to teach.

The grip on a revolver tends to be smaller, since there's no magazine.

I'd suggest getting a revolver chambered for .357 - you can do initial training with .38's, then carry it with .38 wadcutters, soft-alloy .38 hollowpoints (I like Winchester Silvertips or Federal Hydra-Shok,) or Glaser Safety Slugs. When she's comfortable, you can move up to .357 hollowpoints or wadcutters for "full power."

The .38/.357 is a nice compromise - if you get a .22, you're going to have to train on marksmanship under stress more intensively (if you carry a gun without the intent to fire it, you're going to get shot with it someday...) and the bullet is large enough to do some of your job for you. But, it's not such a heavy hitter that the average shooter can't handle it - unlike, say, the .44 Spl/Mag or .45 Colt/.454 Casull.

I agree with getting her a revolver. I would like to add that I would get her one of the hammerless models. Its going to be in and out of her purse along with other items such as key rings, makeup, checkbook, scarf, ect. The hammerless models wont tend to get hung up on these items or on the purse straps like a revolver with a hook sticking out of it. Obviously the accuracy of single action wont be there but in a self defense situation, she wont be using single action anyway.

well she wont be carrying it its more for the home actually we are rarely apart away from the home (except when I drop her off at work and go to work my self)so Id be more comfortable if she didn't carry it. She basically wants it for home defense and for plinking. I offered to get her the shot gun my mom had but shes not interested in some thing that bulky. She nor I are inexperienced with shooting its just been about 5 years since we had a gun of any type and since our peaceful home here in the boonies is being over ran by new construction and the bad elements from the urban areas I think it is time for a little more protection than our dogs afford. (on 10 acres they tend to not notice everyone coming or going)

I'm definatly liking the idea of a compact revolver that can go .357 or .38 and that Taurus 617 looks sweet

I'm gonna bring the shot gun home soon cuz theres some thing to be said about the fact it was my Mom's and it is has some sentimental value. Any sugestions on good rounds for a remington short barrel (cant remember model right now) My mom was partial to the defenders (3 inch shell with 4 projectiles) till she actually shot at some thing with them and ended up almost on her ass and I wouldnt want that to happen in a inopportune moment.

Last edited:
I carry a Smith & Wesson 38 snub nose, its small easy to handle, I have a Glock but its a little big to conceal but it does fire and handle better. If your serious about carring a gun and its been a while since you two have fired one, go take a NRA class or just go out and practice. You have to feel comfortable and know your gun in and out, and know your local gun laws. States vary on whats considered "self defense", and when and where and how you can carry a concealed weapon.
Good luck

DAZYDG said:
I carry a Smith & Wesson 38 snub nose, its small easy to handle, I have a Glock but its a little big to conceal but it does fire and handle better. If your serious about carring a gun and its been a while since you two have fired one, go take a NRA class or just go out and practice. You have to feel comfortable and know your gun in and out, and know your local gun laws. States vary on whats considered "self defense", and when and where and how you can carry a concealed weapon.
Good luck
I carry a Smith snub in .44 special. A discontinued variation of the Chiefs Special. Smith has the new Air Lite series, that may just the thing in .357 or .44 special. Pricey, more of a one buy, lifetime type gun. My Chiefs Special is actually worth about twice now of what I paid for it. If you buy quality it doesn't depreciate much.
The Charter Arms Bulldog has been around forever, tried, proven and reasonable.
One thing I like about the .44 special, short barrel (Special, not magnum) it is a real show stopper. I fire it at the range and pretty much all the shooting stops while everybody stops to look where all the noise and flames came from. The Special with magnum loads is kind of hard to hold on to. The .44 special actually is a bit milder than a .357 magnum.
Don't discount a .45 ACP revolver, which may actually be the best of all choices for a woman.

I will echo what was said: a wheel gun is probably your best choice as it does offer simplicity of use. Now here's another thing: take her to a range where they rent guns. Have her try couple different ones and see what she likes best. Buyin a gun without testing it out it's like buying a cat in the bag. You take it home, open the bag and you decide you don't like it and it's not for you. If she is to have any use out of it, she should be familiar with it and like to shoot it (however frequently or infrequently it might be).

On the other hand: if you guys will start shooting occasionaly then start considering semi autos. Why? The shorter pull of a single action (ok, if you go DA/SA first pull will be like a wheel gun but rest will be short) will make you more accurate of a shot then a double pull. There is something to consider though: under stress you don't want to accidently shoot too early but on the flip side under stress you don't want to miss by accident.

Anyways, if you want to go shooting and can make it to OC, gimme a holler. I got a membership @ a range where they have a wide variety of handguns to try. All it'll cost you is the price of their ammo (you can't bring your ammo if you want to shoot their guns).

Weasel said:
Um I don't agree with any of that. I guess if you buy a crappy auto. My Sig is always ready to fire. No safeties to worry about and nothing but a sweet trigger pull.

And no someone is not going to see the silvered tipped bullets and run..

Robber 1: Lets jack this lady
Lady pulls gun
Robber 2: Um dude are thos shinny tipped bullets in that gun
Robber 1: Hang on let me look closer, crap man they are shinny tipped bullets
Robber 2: Man lets get out of here..
You don't know guns and chicks. They pull them a lot faster than a guy would. Like when a drunk comes up to the car window. It's better that the drunk see the gun and leave than having a steathy small auto hidden from them till it's too late. Have you ever stared down the cylinders of a revolver? It's scarier than a .45. I still thinks only a fool totes a gun around to be misused. 185 perps killed by guns and over 8000 killed by misuse. Hmmm. Do you think if they were invented today they would be leagal? No. Why? Because you are 100 times more likly to have a handgun kill a non criminal than you are a till kill a criminal. Math and numbers are way against handguns. But they are leagal and pussys,gang members and criminals carry them to make them feel like a man. Chicks carry because they at times put themselfs in harms way. Teach them and yourself how to avoid hot spots and lock you weopons of death away because you play with fire long enough and you may get burned.

Stumpalump said:
You don't know guns and chicks. They pull them a lot faster than a guy would. Like when a drunk comes up to the car window. It's better that the drunk see the gun and leave than having a steathy small auto hidden from them till it's too late. Have you ever stared down the cylinders of a revolver? It's scarier than a .45. I still thinks only a fool totes a gun around to be misused. 185 perps killed by guns and over 8000 killed by misuse. Hmmm. Do you think if they were invented today they would be leagal? No. Why? Because you are 100 times more likly to have a handgun kill a non criminal than you are a till kill a criminal. Math and numbers are way against handguns. But they are leagal and pussys,gang members and criminals carry them to make them feel like a man. Chicks carry because they at times put themselfs in harms way. Teach them and yourself how to avoid hot spots and lock you weopons of death away because you play with fire long enough and you may get burned.
Stumpalump: I will make a very polite request. Please refrain from citing statistic or commenting on likelyhood of people's actions in regards to firearms. You come from a different world then the rest of us and your view is slightly tainted. You make everyone with a gun look like a blood thirsty idiot and I don't appreciate that either. Actually quite a few folks take offense to that. Also your wisdom on "don't put yourself in harms way" is BS. Shit happens. It's as simple as that. You can't avoid certain things no matter what you try. Oh yeah, and speaking of math and numbers: do more research, cause the stats say that you're more likely to die in a car accident then get killed with a handgun.

My wife has a S&W 638 Bodyguard revolver. Lightweight, reliable, and when it comes to protecting the kids or herself. I wouldn't want to get in her way.

Kejtar said:
Stumpalump: I will make a very polite request. Please refrain from citing statistic or commenting on likelyhood of people's actions in regards to firearms. You come from a different world then the rest of us and your view is slightly tainted. You make everyone with a gun look like a blood thirsty idiot and I don't appreciate that either. Actually quite a few folks take offense to that. Also your wisdom on "don't put yourself in harms way" is BS. Shit happens. It's as simple as that. You can't avoid certain things no matter what you try. Oh yeah, and speaking of math and numbers: do more research, cause the stats say that you're more likely to die in a car accident then get killed with a handgun.
Dang Kej you put it so nice like that and you almost got my tounge. It must be true that they pump the buildings full of ozone oxegenated air in Vegas. I'm sure all you guys are more than qualified and safe to carry. In fact people like you guys lurking around with your thousand dollar firestorms in your pocket make it safer for me and my family to be out. Guns in the hands of the likes of you do in fact put the fear of god into criminals. But having seen the death, destruction, suicide and misuse I will allways feel inclind to remind those that are thinking about a gun what can and often does happen.

Taurus M85, 2" snubby, 5 shot, rubber grips, good price, surprisingly accurate. Cheap enough to buy 3 of and have them in handy out of the way places around the house. Couple of extra speed loaders and you are set.

Stumpalump said:
Dang Kej you put it so nice like that and you almost got my tounge. It must be true that they pump the buildings full of ozone oxegenated air in Vegas. I'm sure all you guys are more than qualified and safe to carry. In fact people like you guys lurking around with your thousand dollar firestorms in your pocket make it safer for me and my family to be out. Guns in the hands of the likes of you do in fact put the fear of god into criminals. But having seen the death, destruction, suicide and misuse I will allways feel inclind to remind those that are thinking about a gun what can and often does happen.
Wow,

Is it possible to disown someone from the Colorado chapter?

Back