• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

White Jeep Build

After some wheeling

I didn't do to much
But on a snow run

My Dana 30 gave up the good fight again.

So I have a Dana 44 and 8.8 laying around so I figured it was time to put them in

Ran in to an issue with shafts so I went ahead and orders some RCVs

Let me tell you. These are not fun to install...

You're making me so jelly I might just go buy a f-ing jk....
Does your 44 have Chevy outers?
If so you're gonna help me install my rcv's right????

Got the rear axle in and new tabs welded on.

She is sitting on her own weight, just a have a logging things to button up.

My steering didn't work out for the time being, I had to lower my tie rod to clear the track bar.

Awesome build! Just curious if there is a specific year the ZJ gas tank has to be for a swap? Thanks!

We have done two now, with 96-98 ZJ tanks.

I don't know if 93-95 Zj tanks use the same fuel pump, and this will only
Work on a late model 97-01 xj

We have done two now, with 96-98 ZJ tanks.

I don't know if 93-95 Zj tanks use the same fuel pump, and this will only
Work on a late model 97-01 xj

Do you have more info on the gas tank swap? Will it fit an XJ skid tank? Do the stock j-hook bolts that hold up the tank work? I'd love to get 5 more gallons of fuel.

Do you have more info on the gas tank swap? Will it fit an XJ skid tank? Do the stock j-hook bolts that hold up the tank work? I'd love to get 5 more gallons of fuel.

On my 2001 I used the Cherokee j hooks and a ZJ skid ( drilled new mouthing holes)
On my 97 I got a XJ tank skid and I have run a spacer to lower the skid about 1.5 inches

That tank swap has got me thinking, for sure!

*I have VERY little Jeep experience!!!* That said, I have changed around fuel pumps on various cars, and unless they are heavily modified (triple the stock horsepower), you can pretty much change fuel pump part numbers, fuel pump styles, fuel pump locations, from model year to model year. They generally have the same flow, and they generally all operate on the same 12V power. So, I have a feeling even a different fuel pump style/part/location would work fine, so long as the flow is similar and it's powered on with the same 12V.

My main concern is tank fitment under the XJ. But it sounds like you guys know for a fact the 96-98 ZJ tanks fit. What other years in that chassis have the same fuel capacity? That should tell us which tanks are the same physical dimensions.

Then it's just verifying flow, and also resistance at the sender/sender styles (the fuel gauge might not match if the sending unit is different), but the sender resistance vs tank level information should be in a manual somewhere.

I think this will be on my mod list for sure! :)

EDIT: Are we sure it's a 5 gallon gain? I'm showing 20.2 gals for the base, and 23 gals for the grand...??? For only ~2.5 gals, I don't know if I'll bother, personally. We own 5 jerry cans, so meh.

Last edited:
That tank swap has got me thinking, for sure!

*I have VERY little Jeep experience!!!* That said, I have changed around fuel pumps on various cars, and unless they are heavily modified (triple the stock horsepower), you can pretty much change fuel pump part numbers, fuel pump styles, fuel pump locations, from model year to model year. They generally have the same flow, and they generally all operate on the same 12V power. So, I have a feeling even a different fuel pump style/part/location would work fine, so long as the flow is similar and it's powered on with the same 12V.

My main concern is tank fitment under the XJ. But it sounds like you guys know for a fact the 96-98 ZJ tanks fit. What other years in that chassis have the same fuel capacity? That should tell us which tanks are the same physical dimensions.

Then it's just verifying flow, and also resistance at the sender/sender styles (the fuel gauge might not match if the sending unit is different), but the sender resistance vs tank level information should be in a manual somewhere.

I think this will be on my mod list for sure! :)

EDIT: Are we sure it's a 5 gallon gain? I'm showing 20.2 gals for the base, and 23 gals for the grand...??? For only ~2.5 gals, I don't know if I'll bother, personally. We own 5 jerry cans, so meh.

The issue is I have never fit more then 17 gallons when filling my jeep
I now get 22 gallons at gas light all the time.

:scared::worship::worship:

Back