• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Damn, have not seen them in like...20+ years

They were in Greenville Friday night. Kevn Kenny is touring a lot lately and from what he said last night he just wants to rock. IF they come around go see them. The opening band is from Charleston. Travlin Klin were a Marshal Tucker Allman Brothers feel to them. They had a mandalin and harmonica player. They are categorized as an alt country band. I plan on getting their cd when it comes out.

Took a ride up to Rich Mountain yesterday. I haven't been up there in over 10 years when the good section was gated off. I really hated to see it closed because I loved riding there. Not too hard, not too easy, just an in-and-out day trip kinda place that wasn't too far from home. I was hoping against hope that since the place had been off the radar for a decade that maybe it would be open again. No such luck. Once I got about a mile in, I met the gate that blocked the road just before the area where it used to start getting good.

I remembered there being a rock quarry or some other type of open pit mining operation going on just by the entrance to the trails, but what I saw yesterday seemed pretty extreme considering the location. Other than the "private ownership" issue, it is absolutely mind boggling to me how this is allowed to be done on one side of the mountain, but four wheelers are no longer allowed to ride on .01% of the dirt on the other side of the ridge.

Here's the Google satellite view of the mine.

Just to the northeast is where the trail used to be

This picture was taken from the edge of the open pit. Pictures don't do this giant hole in the ground any justice at all, but to give it a little bit of scale, see the red circle in the upper right? Inside that, if you can blow up the pic big enough, you'll see an excavator's boom that is parked up there.

The other end of the area road is apparently still open, so I will try and take a ride on it some other time in the near future, but as I remember it was pretty passable with a 2wd so it'll just be a nice ride in the woods, but that's still a whole lot better than wasting another Saturday working on something.

:peace:

I started working on a CAN bus conversion for stock 1997+ gauge clusters. I plan to switch from the stock PCM to a Haltech which communicates over CAN bus. Since the stock gauge clusters use Chrysler's proprietary bus they are obviously incompatible. The gauge clusters are just six bipolar stepper motors and a bunch of light bulbs. All I have to do is piggy back on the stock circuit board and cut the traces in a few places. I also plan to add PWM to the illumination circuit so that LEDs can be put in place of the bulbs and be fully dimmable.

So far I have test code abusing one of the stepper motors to see what voltage they run out. Looks like 5V is the sweet spot so running these off the PCB's power supply will be easy.

Last edited:
I started working on a CAN bus conversion for stock 1997+ gauge clusters. I plan to switch from the stock PCM to a Haltech which communicates over CAN bus. Since the stock gauge clusters use Chrysler's proprietary bus they are obviously incompatible. The gauge clusters are just six bipolar stepper motors and a bunch of light bulbs. All I have to do is piggy back on the stock circuit board and cut the traces in a few places. I also plan to add PWM to the illumination circuit so that LEDs can be put in place of the bulbs and be fully dimmable.

So far I have test code abusing one of the stepper motors to see what voltage they run out. Looks like 5V is the sweet spot so running these off the PCB's power supply will be easy.

Now I know how my wife feels when I start talking about car repairs......lost lol :looney:

I unloaded the newest parts Jeep off my trailer then loaded what's left of the oldest parts Jeep on the trailer. I guess I'll take it to the scrap yard and get my $16 in scrap for it...

I replaced all the plugs and coils on the MoHo so now maybe it'll get better than 5mpg on the way to the Crawl this year...

Found this surfing off-road memes during a conference call....

0EE8F210-9A9A-45DA-ACFD-20B398705A45_zps8mmdxprv.jpg

CAN? Bus conversion? You building a bus hauler? :gee:

Now I know how my wife feels when I start talking about car repairs......lost lol :looney:

Yea now I know what Deanna feels like.

I also drug this POS out of the corner of my yard where it's been sitting since July...

20151212_134950_zpsfnn77fyv.jpg

Detailed the interior...
20151212_141622_zpsdwi0qcnn.jpg

Got a few more things to do to it.

20151212_143831_zpsymkpaw8p.jpg

Loading the scrap was fun.
20151212_172244_zps2nu3d1f9.jpg

Be jealous that my scrap metal has no rust.
20151212_172505_zpsoroksixx.jpg

Starting working towards a tag for Ghost. Anyone see an 17" 8 lug wheels for cheap let me know. Almost got Greenie fixed with LG last night. Then we built a go cart for my coworkers son. Today I'll go pick up the 95 from Lenny. Tomorrow I need to look at what I think is a cracked weld on my 3 link. Sunday I might go to a new park and help cut trails.....

They were in Greenville Friday night. Kevn Kenny is touring a lot lately and from what he said last night he just wants to rock. IF they come around go see them. The opening band is from Charleston. Travlin Klin were a Marshal Tucker Allman Brothers feel to them. They had a mandalin and harmonica player. They are categorized as an alt country band. I plan on getting their cd when it comes out.
Keep your eyes n ears peeled for a chick named Heather Luttrell. If you dig DBT you'll probably like her act. :)

I replaced a leaking fuel line in the 1994 XJ tonight. Lately it's always something.

Got the 98 back together today. Went to drive it home and it was acting funny. Turned around on 151 and headed back to the shop. She stalled at a light and would not start back. Almost got rear-ended by an idiot while trying to restart it. ended up getting it started and back to the shop. I thik this used motor I bought was on its way out. I see wetness at the head block union. I'm about tired of buying used shit and trusting people.... I think a new build may be in the future.

Back