• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

0f908851b337e017752100c89053f3cf.jpg

Umm yeah that just happened.

No not mine but after 7 months of waiting a friend just brought a Nissan r32 Skyline GTR twin turbo home. It's a beautiful machine. Going out for a drive tomorrow.

I have driven one back in 2008. Takes about 20 mins to get use to the shifting, but its a blast. Also drove a RHD Evo III, love them both.

Installed a new Curt reciever hitch and a new OEM front skid plate...was going to install a new gas tank skid, but I am guessing it is for a 97+ cause it wont fit over my tank...bummer...

Went back to basics today and fixed the steering issue I was fighting. It was a simple toe adjustment. I thought I had set it a while back but must have forgotten to do it. It was toed out bad. It took roughly two full turns of the adjuster sleeve to get it as close at it'll ever get unless I buy new tires lol. Took it for a drive afterward and it was like driving a totally different XJ.

Mostly I threw up money at the internet this weekend. (Click the links for pictures because for some reason I can't attach them to this post)

Figured I should maybe fix this issue...

And then I did a temporary fix for the heater core issue.

At least the windows won't be fogged up while I'm waiting on the parts to come in. :gee:

Everything should be here by next Friday...then the real work begins. Replacing the heater core and evap core while I'm at it.

Last edited:
Needed to put the WJ in the garage spot where I usually park the XJ so that I could diagnose a power issue.

Backed the XJ out and all of a sudden the steering wheel shot right and jerked right out of my hands.

I hopped out and everything looked fine. I ended up getting it down the driveway and took it to the end of my cul de sac and back. It kept yanking out of my hands, the steering wheel moved back and forth on its own, kept heading towards neighbors curbs.

I got it back in the garage and started looking at the steering components again. I happened to notice my fuel tank skid and rear axle were all spotty with grease.

Popped under the back half of the truck and my SYE hack and tap had lost it's bolt and the SYE came as far off the output shaft as it could and bottomed out my rear drive shaft. Thought I could maybe reinstall it, but I realized that I had drilled the hole a little off center and it had started wallowing out. Maybe that is the source of all the t-case, pulling right, and vibration noises I've had.

I reckon that I've had that H&T SYE on there off kilter for close to 3 years. Suppose all that driving could have caused any internal issues???

Guess that's next on my to do list....

Last edited:
That's why I've never liked the H&T design. That output shaft isn't meant to be drilled and tapped. I've seen several do what yours is doing.

That still doesn't explain the steering issue. What caused that?

I don't know Andy. I attributed the steering to the H&T giving away.

Obviously I can't revisit the steering issue until the SYE is addressed.

Seems a little far fetched that it would be coincidence that my steering went bad the same time the SYE decided it was done...

Last edited:
I don't know Andy. I attributed the steering to the H&T giving away.

Obviously I can't revisit the steering issue until the SYE is addressed.

Seems a little far fetched that it would be coincidence that my steering went bad the same time the SYE decided it was done...

I think I have a 231 output shaft if you need it. Let me know.

I think I have a 231 output shaft if you need it. Let me know.

x2 I actually have one in my parts box that goes wheeling with me every year at the crawl.....

Thanks Ed and Glenn. Think I'll go the route of a full SYE, so the output shaft goes bye bye anyway. If I decide to go back with another H&T I'll let y'all know.

Andy, I can't see any immediate correlation either...but it seems to odd that the steering went wonky at the exact same time the SYE detached. All I can think is that it put some funny tork on the t-case that put some funny tork on the front shaft that put some funny tork on the front axle and pushed it off-center and caused the steering to wobble.

Yep. Only in a Jeep family would one Jeep break while backing it out of the garage to clear room to fix a different broken Jeep.

And, for some reason, every time my wife drives the ZJ I end up with an O2 sensor check engine code!

I have 3 Jeeps and all of them are "down" at once. Yep, about par for the course.

Last edited:
Back