• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Finished my JP29 build...
23268991033_2f4ca2e2ec_b.jpg

That's hot.

Was down in Taylor MS over the weekend and stopped at a restaurant that lets you write on the walls and stuff, so I made a little NAXJA ad on the wiring next to the front door.

FED9CBCF-2AA3-44F4-8ACF-68634F3153E0_zpsscctsmhr.jpg

Took the jeep out to the Outer Banks at Corolla to see the wild horses this past weekend. The whole place is 4x4-only, the roads are all sand and you have to drive the beach to get there at all.

picture.php

The beach is alright, but the back trails have some interesting tidbits in the bush.

picture.php

The wild horses were kind of a bust though. This lazy guy is the only one I spotted. So much for majestic.

picture.php

All that said, this place would be awesome to come camp (or rent a cabin) in summer.

Took the jeep out to the Outer Banks at Corolla to see the wild horses this past weekend. The whole place is 4x4-only, the roads are all sand and you have to drive the beach to get there at all.

picture.php

The beach is alright, but the back trails have some interesting tidbits in the bush.

picture.php

The wild horses were kind of a bust though. This lazy guy is the only one I spotted. So much for majestic.

picture.php

All that said, this place would be awesome to come camp (or rent a cabin) in summer.

I've really been wanting to make a trip up there and do just what you've done. I'd prefer do it during off season though. I'd be driving my RV up there and pulling my Jeep behind it.

Lowrange I dig that XJ thing is oh so clean!

Thanks!

I've really been wanting to make a trip up there and do just what you've done. I'd prefer do it during off season though. I'd be driving my RV up there and pulling my Jeep behind it.

That would be a good trip in the fall or spring for sure. Just don't trust the Cedar Island - Ocracoke ferry if you're planning the outer banks route. They are notorious for canceling runs for 'mechanical reasons'.

It's had a skip/miss sense we put it in. Was not very common but was there periodically. I thought it just needed new plugs and wires and a general tune up. When I replaced the engine mounts Friday one was toast. So that is why the engine was moving forward I guess. I'll do a compression test and more detailed look at it later.

An skip/miss can sometimes be caused by a sticking or burnt valve. An easy check for this is to let it idle and hold a piece of notebook paper up to the exhaust tip. If it sucks the paper back onto the tip of the tailpipe occasionally, it's a good indication of this problem. If this happens, a leakdown test should be performed to confirm it.

Compression test is also a good idea, and another area of concern for the skip could be a worn out distributor.

Last edited:
An skip/miss can sometimes be caused by a sticking or burnt valve. An easy check for this is to let it idle and hold a piece of notebook paper up to the exhaust tip. If it sucks the paper back onto the tip of the tailpipe occasionally, it's a good indication of this problem. If this happens, a leakdown test should be performed to confirm it.

Compression test is also a good idea, and another area of concern for the skip could be a worn out distributor.

We always used a dollar bill........................

I spent the day working on my wife's 1998 Grand Cherokee. After reviewing the condition of the knuckles, I think I'm going to order a new set from Dorman. The ones on it now will take a lot of welding to fill in all of the groves.

After bailing on the knuckles, I decided to hit the front driveshaft u-joints. The didn't want to spit their clips. Seemingly simple tasks seem to turn into major fiascos for me. I worked and beat on them until they finally gave up.

I then removed and replaced the joints in the rear driveshaft. Fought that until I won. Reinstalled the driveshaft and called it a day.

Once the knuckles arrive, the Grand will get all new unit bearings, knuckles and u-joints plus a radio to help keep the kids and wife happy. I may even see how good it looks with a set of 33/1050R15 KM2's.

I spent the day working on my wife's 1998 Grand Cherokee. After reviewing the condition of the knuckles, I think I'm going to order a new set from Dorman. The ones on it now will take a lot of welding to fill in all of the groves.

After bailing on the knuckles, I decided to hit the front driveshaft u-joints. The didn't want to spit their clips. Seemingly simple tasks seem to turn into major fiascos for me. I worked and beat on them until they finally gave up.

I then removed and replaced the joints in the rear driveshaft. Fought that until I won. Reinstalled the driveshaft and called it a day.

Once the knuckles arrive, the Grand will get all new unit bearings, knuckles and u-joints plus a radio to help keep the kids and wife happy. I may even see how good it looks with a set of 33/1050R15 KM2's.

It's not just you. We've had two ZJ's. A '97 and a '95. The '97 was a good car for many years until it started having electrical issues. The '95 was a thorn in my side from the word go. I hated that car with a passion. I was always having to do something to it. No matter how close I ever got to "putting out all the fires" something else would come along that needed fixing. When the transmission started screwing up again and needed to be pulled for a third time.....I put a fire sale price on it, told the buyer what was wrong with it and danced in the driveway as the drove it away. Good riddance!!!

The Grand has been pretty trouble free for the most part. It just needs some general maintenance and neglected issues worked on. The only other big item that I need to replace is a cracked exhaust manifold. I'm dreading that job.

Back