• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

They came stock on all years of renix xj's. This one is a 9O. I've had them on an 84,87,88,89, and this one. All of them came with the wheels. They have center caps that say jeep on them, but the way I wheel I know I'll damage or lose them.

EDIT: the 84 4 cylinder I had was carberated so I guess that would be pre-renix. Still, they're my favorite stocker xj wheels

Last edited:
installed a snorkel and some projector headlights, both donated by friends who bought them and decided not to use them. gotta love free stuff!

2AAEE33C-B7E3-4893-B5E8-5FEF5570B996-5390-000006538BBE41EC.jpg

8FC6923F-474C-4CB4-9741-524147B79B56-5390-00000653A52739BD.jpg

Dang dude you have some nice friends! haha Good luck with those headlights. I bought a set just like those and they were awful. Not real projectors just some projector lenses held out in space not doing anything. I then cut up the housing to use for a real projector HID conversion.

Dang dude you have some nice friends! haha Good luck with those headlights. I bought a set just like those and they were awful. Not real projectors just some projector lenses held out in space not doing anything. I then cut up the housing to use for a real projector HID conversion.

Did you finish the retrofit? Details?

Yeah, these aren't true projectors I guess, but with some nice h4 bulbs they're still 10x better than my 22 yr old sealed beams were. I drive home from work on some rural back roads, and it's a lot easier to hit the deer if I see them first. Gotta love bumper hunting!
No spacer on those wheels, btw. Wish I had some! The 32's rub on the control arms when turned too far :(

Did you finish the retrofit? Details?

Sure did about 8 months ago! Been loving it ever since! There is no comparison between halogen and HID projectors. I used parts from TheRetofitSource.com. They are local to ATL and they had a meet and greet event where they had a "garage sale" where they sold left over parts and pieces that people could still use for dirt cheap. All in all I paid $75 for what normally would have cost me $250! I used their Morimoto wiring harness, Morimoto 5Five (50 watt) ballasts, their budget Morimoto style Mini H1 projectors that come with mini gatling gun shrouds, Morimoto CCFL Angel Eyes, and finally some Rampage H4 conversion housings.

I have done this exact same install on two different XJs with minor differences between the two. The housings on my Jeep were some Rampage housings that I picked up used locally. The Rampage housings have an all aluminum back with glass lenses. The other set were some cheap fake projector ebay housings with an all plastic back and glass lenses. The plastic housings were easier to cut that the aluminum. The aluminum is really tough to cut to the point that it wore out my dremel and I had to go get a replacement.

I am not going to go through the whole thing step by step but here are a few pictures of how they turned out. If you have any questions ask away or PM me.

Finished Product
7996f8ce.jpg

Just the angel eyes On. I know Angel Eyes might seem out of place on a Jeep but I really liked the way they turned out and it is something you don't see everyday
IMG_1738.jpg

What the back side of the housing looked like when I got done
IMG_1737.jpg

And finally a really cool picture I took early morning with just the angel eyes On
48ED479E-1736-4F15-BB83-F563E5ED29F0-158-00000003FCD934DE.jpg

Flew to Baltimore this morning. Picked up a car and drove a couple hours south to Cambridge for a field install. Of course they didn't have everything ready today so it was 4 hours of standing around and talking crap with the utility company engineers.

Now to cram a days worth of work onto about 5 hours tomorrow morning, then drive a couple hours back to Baltimore to pick up my return flight...

Well in an effort to make it out to URE again I tackled the motor mounts tonight. Old mounts were shot to hell.

photo-9_zps37dfc140.jpg

photo2-4_zps443bf5c4.jpg

photo1-1_zps90c1d64f.jpg

Yup. Nothing out of the ordinary here...lol.

can't argue with the "Del" and 'Mar' part, but the "Va" woulda been ready!!

And they still weren't ready when I hit the site at 7:30 this morning. Needed to leave the site by 1:30 to allow myself enough time to negotiate construction traffic and the beginnings of rush hour on 1.5 hour drive back to Baltimore for my 5:30 flight. Yeah...didn't leave till after 2:00, got caught in construction gridlock, and damn near became part of a pile up on the bay bridge that happened right behind me.

Still managed to make it to the gate with about 10 minutes to spare for a bite to eat! I was actually pretty impressed with that little Mazda 3 I had for a rental...

Mine looked like that when I took them out, the free Brown dogs went in Nicely! :)

Back