• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Well I'm leaving work tomorrow at 3:30 so I can hopefully leave around 5ish

Heading to Harlan with a few buds I can't wait should have plenty of pics

welcome back! 3 weeks in San Diego doesn't count as "work"..... but funerals suck-- come see us when you're recuperated and we'll get caught up.

P.S. I still think you coulda found me a "mission critical job" that woulda gotten me to CA!:sunshine:

Them 3 weeks were filled with 12 hour days and weird west coast people. To make it better, SD had the coldest temps in the county for two of those weeks.

Well I'm leaving work tomorrow at 3:30 so I can hopefully leave around 5ish

Heading to Harlan with a few buds I can't wait should have plenty of pics

Nice! Make sure you do it again in July with the rest of us!

Got the Subie all wrapped up.

As promised, here is the weight of this thing. NOTE: this is WITHOUT the mounts and hardware, wich should probably add another 5 or 6 pounds. Id call the whole thing 45 pounds, which is quite a bit lighter than I though it would be. It shouldnt even be noticeable as the skin probably weighed 8-10 pounds, and the plastic bumper behind the skin weighed in at 12 pounds.

IMG_20120405_080842.jpg

Ok... I think it looks pretty badass. :D

IMG_20120405_100941.jpg

IMG_20120405_100959.jpg

IMG_20120405_101009.jpg

IMG_20120405_101050.jpg

Got the Subie all wrapped up.

As promised, here is the weight of this thing. NOTE: this is WITHOUT the mounts and hardware, wich should probably add another 5 or 6 pounds. Id call the whole thing 45 pounds, which is quite a bit lighter than I though it would be. It shouldnt even be noticeable as the skin probably weighed 8-10 pounds, and the plastic bumper behind the skin weighed in at 12 pounds.

IMG_20120405_080842.jpg

Ok... I think it looks pretty badass. :D

IMG_20120405_100941.jpg

IMG_20120405_100959.jpg

IMG_20120405_101009.jpg

IMG_20120405_101050.jpg

question professor.... how do you get your plate joints so clean? i built sams bumper from plate and i know i used too strong a flap wheel on it and made it look like poo, but what are you doing to smooth the weld so sharp?

Yeah, you got to do it in stages. I start off with 60 grit, then to 80, then to 120, and finally, I hit with the DA sander. Good thick etching primer also helps fill in the scratches. Just have to not go too 'deep' with the rougher grits...Takes a little patience, and a few times of screwing it up before you get it down. :D

Guess who's got 2 thumbs and going to work next week! This guy!
Going to be a jet ski tech for the summer, then look for a retail job for the holidays.. graduate in may and work for my stepdads business services firm.

Going to be a jet ski tech for the summer, then look for a retail job for the holidays.. graduate in may and work for my stepdads business services firm.

Congrats!

Sweet and congrats! When you figure out the ins and outs of an early (1990?) Sea-Doo SP let me know :) I know one that has been sitting for years and begs attention, I hear it's call all the time.

Sweet and congrats! When you figure out the ins and outs of an early (1990?) Sea-Doo SP let me know :) I know one that has been sitting for years and begs attention, I hear it's call all the time.

will do.... they're pretty basic 2 stroke motors, that's why they wanted me so bad for the tech job, i used to work on 2 stroke outboards from age 14-18.

.... however if it has block issues the repower long blocks aren't too pricey and they ship to your door

In a former life, I was the service manager/lead tech at a large Yamaha/Honda/BMW dealership in Charleston for 8 years. Im certified on Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and BMW....hated skis the most! Especially the newer stuff (Turbo/4 strokes etc) thats out these days. What a pain in the arse to work on.

Glad you got a job Doug, hope it works out for you!!

~ Stump

In a former life, I was the service manager/lead tech at a large Yamaha/Honda/BMW dealership in Charleston for 8 years. Im certified on Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and BMW....hated skis the most! Especially the newer stuff (Turbo/4 strokes etc) thats out these days. What a pain in the arse to work on.

Glad you got a job Doug, hope it works out for you!!

~ Stump

yeah they warned me id start seeing more 4 strokes.... but my buddy Brian knows a lot about skis (he got me the job thanks again man!) he said he could have me up to speed in a weekend

Congrats Doug!

That would be a fun job, especially during the summer. "Yeah, I need to go test drive this jet ski...you know, make sure it's good to go for the customer." Two hours later....:D

Back