• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Dude, I'm coming from a locked F&R, 5" lift, armored to the hill, winch, etc etc and all XJ and I'm now in a stock 4wd XJ. That wittle land cwuser with lockers and Pro Comp XTs pulled right down to the cabin in 8" of snow on a steep grade (where my Jeep was not moving from) and proceeded to back up into the turn around, and pulled right out without slipping a tire. Yes, it showed me up and NO we cannot have that! :D

I cannot express the hurt I felt while this happened. I lost a little piece of my manhood that night. I never want to feel that again.

In all seriousness, I'm used to being in a vehicle that I had every ounce of confidence in the world in it not leaving me stuck somewhere and now, well, I don't have that. It really is not a pleasant feeling...so I will change that.

I know what you mean...

This time last year my R&P was busted in my XJ and all I had to drive in the snow at the cabin was my stock 4wd Explorer. Talk about a disappointment! As soon as the snow melted that was the first thing that I fixed!

I've got a Waggy 44 almost ready to go in but I'm scared to take the 30 out long enough to put the other one in for fear of wanting to go riding. I want to make sure I have the 44 COMPLETELY finished so I can pull the 30 out and have the 44 back in that day or the next day. I don't want the XJ on jack stands for 2 months like it has been before...

The problem is that I'll have to make the drag link and tracbar AFTER it's under my junk.

man what a dramatic day: got a call at lunch time about a leaking faucet, ran home to fix that, on my way back to work a little old lady hit me with her car in my rear passenger fender (not much damage to the jeep but crumpled her fender) it was an honest mistake (most people cross four lanes of traffic to try and make a turn into the parking lot) then found out im driving to NC tomorrow and back again yay!

Where in NC?

In all seriousness, I'm used to being in a vehicle that I had every ounce of confidence in the world in it not leaving me stuck somewhere and now, well, I don't have that. It really is not a pleasant feeling...so I will change that.

That's the spirit!!

I've got no lockers in my 96 and it actually does pretty decent in the snow.

Got stuck twice while snow wheeling Saturday. Once I was on a 30 degree slope with my rear hatch glass leaning on a tree (seriously, I was looking back when I slid down into it and the glass flexed a bit) after making it up a hill climb / series of obstacles I had no business even attempting, had to get strapped out. Second time was really lame, only reason I got stuck was because I'd ripped a valve stem off one of my rear tires and was on my spare. A good tread 33" AT and a really close to bald 32" MT on an open axle = hell in the snow, I was driving everywhere at a 45 degree angle till I gave up and put a new valve stem in the original.

The spot I was stuck was probably about a 30* slope. I was parked at our cabin which has a long downhill driveway straight to the cabin. The spot I was parked was on a hill as there is not a flat spot at the bottom. I just couldn't get moving again once I was stopped down there. The Land Cruiser made it seem like it was dry ground. I know most of my issue is my tires (Dayton Timberline AT) because they are a very weak AT and the tread just filled with snow. Although watching one wheel spin and then stop to let the other wheel spin was very frustrating.

The spot I was stuck was probably about a 30* slope. I was parked at our cabin which has a long downhill driveway straight to the cabin. The spot I was parked was on a hill as there is not a flat spot at the bottom. I just couldn't get moving again once I was stopped down there. The Land Cruiser made it seem like it was dry ground. I know most of my issue is my tires (Dayton Timberline AT) because they are a very weak AT and the tread just filled with snow. Although watching one wheel spin and then stop to let the other wheel spin was very frustrating.

Zip tie the spider gears together! Then they'll both turn at the same time!

Got my MJ running right now.

It had a blown head gasket but the head was straight. So had a valve job done (needed 2 intakes and 1 exhaust).

Replaced the water pump, ALL hoses, battery cables and terminals, replaced the dummy light cluster with a gauge cluster (broke the speedo though). Now I just need to have the radiator rodded out and put in a 16" electric fan (it's a 4 bngr not the 4.0L) and under the hood is pretty much done.
Now it purrs like a kitten. Even with 200K miles on the bottom end!

Then I need seats and to treat/paint the floorboards. After that it's suspension and axle time.

I spent today ripping out one of our bathrooms for its remodel. Tomorrow I'm doing the 30k service to my wife's JK POS Wrangler LOL!

Stupid "Gutless" V-6 and time bomb 42RLE automatic. Jeep should be ashamed of these things:twak:.

They call for a tranny service at 60k, no way I'll let it go that far and then die from cooking the fluid. They call for changing the plugs at 102k, are you kiddin, the electrodes are already showing wear on ours so they are getting swapped too before the plugs keep increasing resistance, causing us poor mileage and putting more stress on the coils

I spent today ripping out one of our bathrooms for its remodel. Tomorrow I'm doing the 30k service to my wife's JK POS Wrangler LOL!

Stupid "Gutless" V-6 and time bomb 42RLE automatic. Jeep should be ashamed of these things:twak:.

They call for a tranny service at 60k, no way I'll let it go that far and then die from cooking the fluid. They call for changing the plugs at 102k, are you kiddin, the electrodes are already showing wear on ours so they are getting swapped too before the plugs keep increasing resistance, causing us poor mileage and putting more stress on the coils

Yeah mom's 3.7 called for plugs at 30K and a differential service at 30K too if I'm not mistaken, then again every 30K. I did both then and haven't really touched it since. She just hit 100K on her Jeep not too long ago so it's getting a 100K service as soon as the weather warms up a bit (serp belt, plugs, coolant flush, diff service again as it needs a front pinion seal in a bad way, may knock out the tcase as well). She's also got the 42RLE and it is a bit quirky..especially cold. Fluid still looks great in it so I think i'm going to leave it alone.

The last domestic transmission I serviced at over 100K (Silverado 1500 trans at 120K), died 4K later.

Somebody broke the #1 rule: No yaking in the XJ. There will be hell to pay:flamemad::flamemad:.

Somebody broke the #1 rule: No yaking in the XJ. There will be hell to pay:flamemad::flamemad:.

Lol, that's not good.

I wasn't far from you last night around midnight. As a matter of fact I stayed there last night and im in charlotte now on the way home! I got the new family member!

Ohhh not good. I've had people come really close to doing that in mine before....not cool!!!

As long as it hits the floor and they clean it up i'm cool. Herculiner FTW!

Moved up to Charlotte last weekend and unpacked this week, also started work. Need to do a once over on the jeep after the ride up and see what the new noises are all about. Also waiting (going on 2 weeks now) for some parts I ordered from jeepers den in Orlando to come in so they can ship my swaybar disconnects. I try to support local business but those people take TOO LONG getting parts in...

That's what I was going to ask.

If you need a hand on the Jeep sometime just holler!

Currently sitting in the airport waiting to head to Italy for a week. Not looking forward to the 12 hours ot flight time but very ready to take in the sights during my free time (business trip)

Man oh man it feels so good to be back out in the garage! Haven't taken care of things in the garage the past 3 months. It had just become a dumb! The fam helped me out today and now it's cleaned up a lot and I was able to get the land cruiser and xj in there. Even got a couple of things knocked out on the cruiser.

Back