• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wait to do taxes?

I am just waiting on my W-2s from the AF. I am interested to see how it will work out. My wife does not work down here, so I think I should get an OK return. I am not sure how the finance flight set up everything though.

Close Randy, but not quite. The First Time Home Buyers Tax Credit <--click is good from April 9, 2008 to 7/1/09 and can be claimed on your 2008 tax return.

Jeepm@n, your good to go.

I've already claimed mine, and we don't close on our house until Feb. 25th. :D

The stimulus bill changes it as it is currently written (of course, that could change before it goes through).

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/29/real_estate/tax_credit_near/index.htm?postve

The credit that you already claimed needs to be paid back....this one won't.

I closed on my house a week ago....and I'm going to hold out and see what happens with this stimulus bill before I file my taxes. Either way, I'm going to get the $7500....but I'd prefer not to have to pay it back ;)

Last edited:
I'm hoping it passes. I'm eyeing a new outdoor wood boiler to heat the house and garage. Then I can sleep in my garage when I get in trouble. Probably be more comfortable then my couch in the living room. :gee:

I'm hoping it passes. I'm eyeing a new outdoor wood boiler to heat the house and garage. Then I can sleep in my garage when I get in trouble. Probably be more comfortable then my couch in the living room. :gee:

hey hold on... whos house is it? yours or hers? and who pays the payment on it?... i think you guys need to come to an understanding, its your house you pay the bills, you make the money, shes sleeping on the couch!:clap:

The stimulus bill changes it as it is currently written (of course, that could change before it goes through).

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/29/real_estate/tax_credit_near/index.htm?postve

The credit that you already claimed needs to be paid back....this one won't.

I closed on my house a week ago....and I'm going to hold out and see what happens with this stimulus bill before I file my taxes. Either way, I'm going to get the $7500....but I'd prefer not to have to pay it back ;)

Nice. I hadn't seen that version. Luckily for me, both versions currently in Congress show that the non-payment version would be retroactive to the first of the year.

hey hold on... whos house is it? yours or hers? and who pays the payment on it?... i think you guys need to come to an understanding, its your house you pay the bills, you make the money, shes sleeping on the couch!:clap:

I'm a push over when the woman starts tearing up. You could say I give in way too much. :gag: Not only that I'm old school hell I even open doors for her and use "sir" when talking to her Dad.

I am just waiting on my W-2s from the AF. I am interested to see how it will work out. My wife does not work down here, so I think I should get an OK return. I am not sure how the finance flight set up everything though.

Why are you waiting for your W-2's? They're online.... http://mypay.dfas.mil unless the AF does some crazy ass shit or you're a contractor, it should be on there. My sister is in the AF in London and already filed her taxes too.

You guys that receive a ton of money back why don't you claim more so you get it back thru the year rather then give the gov't an interest free loan. If that's the case hook me up I'll give you 2% back and I'll still make a minimum of 7% on your cash lol:twak:

Its much easier to claim less (pay more through out the year) and then not end up owing on your taxes than it is to claim more and have to fork over a few hundred. Even with as little as I make, its hardly noticeable month to month...we're talking a few trips out to eat, a few tanks of gas worth of extra pocket cash each month vrs. a few grand at the start of the year. The majority of us wouldn't put the cash into a savings account each month anyways and would squander it by just extending your comfort zone and adjust to the new paycheck rather quickly. Its all fine and dandy to say you wouldn't live up to your means but lets be honest.

True, you're not getting interest on it and you're giving the Fed's an interest free loan, but at the same time, its like a savings account that you draw from once a year. Its easier to throw that into savings all at one time than it is to do it each month. Not to mention, it comes in handy when you've got expensive parts you'd like to buy and don't want to budget it in!

Why are you waiting for your W-2's? They're online.... http://mypay.dfas.mil unless the AF does some crazy ass shit or you're a contractor, it should be on there. My sister is in the AF in London and already filed her taxes too.

I was waiting because I have been having problems grabbing them online. Mypay has been acting weird for me lately. I got onto a DOD computer today and managed to print them off. Ill probably go ahead and file soon.

Not owning a home, with my non-working spouse as a dependant and no children, is there any advantage to using turbotax or any of the other online tax software, or should I just go to the IRS webpage and do it there?

Aren't the Services giving monthly statements anymore. They started that back in the late 70s in the Corps, Leave and Earnings Statement or something? If you have your year end totals and you file electronic you won't need the paper W-2 to file.

Also, don't wait. If anything gets passed you can file an amended return.

Also, if you own a home and pay real estate taxes for 2008 you can claim those taxes even if you don't itemize. Up to $500 single/$1000 MFJ, you get to add that to the standard deduction, and this is already law.

I was waiting because I have been having problems grabbing them online. Mypay has been acting weird for me lately. I got onto a DOD computer today and managed to print them off. Ill probably go ahead and file soon.

Not owning a home, with my non-working spouse as a dependant and no children, is there any advantage to using turbotax or any of the other online tax software, or should I just go to the IRS webpage and do it there?

I promise no bull, jarhead to flyboy. ;) You could easily do those taxes yourself, oooor...

I just used h&r block's online prep for the fed and e-filed, same as I've been doing for years. Online thru them its free(unless you really want to give them money for a handholding session) and you still have an extra set of eyes, so to speak. Granted its not a person, so go figure how exacting that error checking is. If you wanted to go through them for any state taxes, they charge you for that but you can usually get those forms online thru a state website for free and just do that yourself. I had H&R calculate my state without any details, just a monetary amount, for free and checked myself against that when I was done. It was pretty painless, all things considered.

But I also remember there being people on base or provided by the command to help us with our taxes for free each year. Maybe its because we have a hard time counting past 10 with our boots on. Don't you smart fellas get issued an abacus or some other fancy thing?

I got a nice whiz wheel for calculating winds and time over targets, but I do not know how helpful it will be for taxes.

FL resident FTW. No state taxes, however vehicle insurance is a little higher, so i probably evens out.

Close Randy, but not quite. The First Time Home Buyers Tax Credit <--click is good from April 9, 2008 to 7/1/09 and can be claimed on your 2008 tax return.

Jeepm@n, your good to go.

I've already claimed mine, and we don't close on our house until Feb. 25th. :D

Wonder why they picked April 9th, 2008...I closed on my first house on or around April 2nd, 2008...

mac 'if you could only tell the future' gyvr

Back