• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 Electronic Control Module - Can these be purchased new anymore?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 XJ 4.0 with auto trans. There is a electronic control module (ECM) in the engine bay on the driver's side just behind the radiator and next to the air box.
My ECM is working now but it is 32 years old. Someday it will die. When this happens, can a new ECM be purchased? How about a repaired unit? I should get one from a junk yard now I suppose, but of course anything from junk will also be 32 years old. What can be done? Can you provide any links to obtain new or repaired units?

Thanks!

Yes they are available on Rockauto.com. I actually purchased a spare that I keep in my RV for our off-road trips should mine go bad. I too was worried about key parts being discontinued like this which is why I purchased a spare about a year ago.

Hope this helps.

Yes they are available on Rockauto.com. I actually purchased a spare that I keep in my RV for our off-road trips should mine go bad. I too was worried about key parts being discontinued like this which is why I purchased a spare about a year ago.

Hope this helps.

Only a 1 year warranty though!!!

Only a 1 year warranty though!!!
I wasn't worried about the warranty, I was trying to get one in before they were discontinued so it didn't bother me. Of course they are all over the junkyards as well.

I grab these kind of parts from the local pick and pull. I put the part in temporarily to test it and then have a known good spare. Last PCM was about 65 bucks. The sand dune XJ has a nice little parts store under the back seat and in the motor home.

Ron

I don't know of any truly being sold NEW, but you can get remanufactured and rebuilt ones pretty easily on rockauto and other places.

So far all I can tell you is that the one known failure mode for 1991-1995 SBEC units tends to be 3 electrolytic capacitors going dry/open circuit. The typical symptoms are you will start to hear a very quiet high pitched sort of squeaking or buzzing noise from the ECU with key on engine off. It may or may not also fail to boot - the first sign of this will generally be the occasional fail to start, accompanied by the MIL and generator failure lamps not functioning as they should at key-on bulb check. Eventually this will become a constant failure and the jeep will not start. However the SBECs seem to be pretty easy to repair, plenty of people have done it now as it started happening about 10 to 15 years ago. When it strikes a given ECU is somewhat up to chance, average ambient temps where the vehicle has spent its life, operating hours, etc etc. But it is only a few bucks for the parts to fix the ECU (the correct capacitors as well as a tube of electronics safe RTV like MG Chemicals 1035) and takes less than an hour if you know how to solder already. I've never really worried much about it. My recommendation is to find an ECU for your correct year range (not all 91-95 are identical, features vary slightly), engine, and transmission, put new capacitors in it and test it, then keep it as a shelf spare and when your original starts showing signs, swap them out and re-cap the original.

Back