• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The "What I need to get done BECAUSE of Winterfest" thread!

I just realized literally everything I broke happened in 30 seconds coming out of those damn tubes. Not doing that again.

Yep.

Swap front CV shafts with u-joint shafts.
Replace front LCA bushings or swap LCAs.
231 t'case.
Sliders would be nice.

I haven't looked real close at it, but it appears nothing is broken that wasn't broken before WF ;)

Need to lube the chassis and DSs and get ready for the next outing...

I might even change the oil ;)

Other than that, I believe I will be looking to find more MPGs. 12 against the wind and 15 with a crosswind... Cost me $220 for fuel, a real cheap motel, and admission to BORP, most of that was fuel.

Bob, don't go GP just yet, unless you don't ever want to go in a National Forest. They make some nice welded mufflers that will do the job NF legal, just weld them on instead of clamping.

Straighten out a bent rear tire carrier, and nothing else.

Straighten out a bent rear tire carrier, and nothing else.

Ahh I think that was you right in front of me on Saturday, the red 2 door 5 speed? I couldn't grab my cb fast enough to tell you to stop!

Bob, don't go GP just yet, unless you don't ever want to go in a National Forest. They make some nice welded mufflers that will do the job NF legal, just weld them on instead of clamping.

Thanks Ron...sounds like good advise.
I enjoyed running Orange with you guys!

Maybe we can find a Wisconsin wheeling outing some day.

BOB

Yah, following, or rather *NOT* following BLOOSE into that mudpit. That doggoned tree just jumped right behind me....

Even though I didnt get to wheel MY Jeep this year, I was a passenger.

I found I need to fix my rustbucket before next WF. Ahhh who am I kidding, even if its not running I can still have fun.

All of my johnny joints are loose. My front axle needs torn apart, serviced and greased from the water crossings on Friday. I have to bang out the driver's rear quarter and put the flare back on.

Then go beat on it. Don't wait until the next WF to go wheeling.

Made it 500 miles back to La Crosse, everything appears to be together...

Replace cotter pin with snap ring on RC disconnect (passenger side)
Look for different Disconnects
Decide whether or not to sell the roof rack...

All of my johnny joints are loose.

you need some of these.....

IMAG0151.jpg

Time for a Novak cable shifter for the 242. Long arms worked great but the new cross member put everything up so high that stubid "Z" bracket is not going to cut it. Orange and Green can be done in 4 high in first gear but i would rather crawl. Rest of parts working great.

Oh hell who am I kidding time to build axels and go to 35's :roll:

I made it home (270 miles) driving the XJ so I guess I didn't break anything ;)

I had around 260 mile drive to Roscoe, IL (IL/WI border) with little brake pressure since I pulled a front pass brake line out just starting the red trail Sat morning. I did orange trail Sunday before the bikes/quads invaded.

I prob just new HP60 brake calipers so I can use my front brakes again...get a bigger trailer and adequate tow truck now that I have a MJ to wheel, can't use my YJ buggy trailer for it.

I saw some very interesting tow rigs at WF including a airport bus, school bus red/orange, etc, :laugh2: :eyes:

Maybe I can just tow with my 98' 5.9L ZJ on 5" and 33" ats.

I saw way more highly modified XJ including lots of original XJ buggies!
I got into XJs around 2000 when I hydrolocked the 4.0L in my 91' YJ and some Jeepers (2 yjs on 35s and 1 XJ on 31s rescued my bro and I) I couldn't believe the stuff the XJ was doing with only 31" MTs following his YJ buddies around with me having shot gun.
I have been hooked on XJ/MJ ever since! Very capable and cheap to buy/mod Jeep, prob best 1 even with it being a unibody!

Last edited:
Rear driveshaft vibes need to be worked out, get the winch rope installed, shorter rear shocks...not a whole lot of bad from WF.

But there's still more to do just because it needs to be done.

Rear driveshaft vibes need to be worked out, get the winch rope installed, shorter rear shocks...not a whole lot of bad from WF.

But there's still more to do just because it needs to be done.

Did you sync the flange on the axle with the drive-shaft? I've heard that can cause vibes...

My 8.8 also has vibes, and I just threw it together... Could be related...

Huh?

Replace or repair all the peripheral components on my rig, like the snorkle, CB antenna, FRS antenna, mirrors, etc after Rev's Run on Friday. :)

Drove it off the trailer and I haven't gone over it yet to see what else got damaged. Must drain all fluids due to swimming in the pond right next to the orange trail start.

We'll see what it looks like this weekend.

How the adapter that bolts to the 8.8 flange and the other side holds the u-joint, needs to be 'synced' with the Flange (reason that flange has multiple sets of bolt holes...)

Apparently you can't just bolt it on any which way, or you get vibrations... I have a piece of an old bolt rusted in one of mine which is why I haven't tried rotating to the next set of mounting holes to see if vibes go away...

Back