• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The "What I need to get done BECAUSE of Winterfest" thread!

How the adapter that bolts to the 8.8 flange and the other side holds the u-joint, needs to be 'synced' with the Flange (reason that flange has multiple sets of bolt holes...)

Apparently you can't just bolt it on any which way, or you get vibrations... I have a piece of an old bolt rusted in one of mine which is why I haven't tried rotating to the next set of mounting holes to see if vibes go away...

Sounds like internet hogwash to me.

Nate and I have 5000 miles on the 8.8 swap and we've never paid any attention to how it bolts up. It's a flat flange attached to a pinion gear.

I agree Josh. I have delt with a few 8.8's and have not had a vibe caused by how the driveshaft bolts to the flange. for Joshes vibration problems I would start with the replacing the driveshaft with the one that is rebuilt and balanced. He picked out a driveshaft from my pile of parts and took the best one. It is good for wheeling but not the road.

I have heard both side of the "synching" of a DS. The DS shops have told me that you need to synch u-jounts/shafts to keep the vibes down, but I have honestly never intentionally synched one and my junk is ...well, still junk and I would not be able to tell if it was the DS or something else making it vibrate and shake. A buddy of mine has a built 4Runner and he actually had a driveline issue and he watched the shop fix it by supposedly synching the DS/joints etc. Who knows...I like nachos.

Tyler, if you get a farm implement PTO out of phase, especially a 1,000 RPM PTO, you'll know it.

true that, my 4840 has the large 1000 on it and it will rock your world if it is out of synch.....it will really screw stuff up if you think you can just "power" through it and it will correct itself...

Any driveshaft that has a standard u-joint at both ends need to be in phase. If one end is a constant velocity type joint, then the phasing is done at that end, and the other end should customarily be straight on and no speed changes based on operating angles should be observed.

Kimmer, even the high HP buggies have pretty spindly little driveshafts compared to some farm equipment. The PTO shaft on the orchard sprayer back home is fully supported by ball bearings thoughout the shaft on each spline. This is an EXPENSIVE driveshaft.

Any driveshaft that has a standard u-joint at both ends need to be in phase. If one end is a constant velocity type joint, then the phasing is done at that end, and the other end should customarily be straight on and no speed changes based on operating angles should be observed.

Agreed 'cause it's right.

The pinion flange has nothing to do with it, it is the ujoints on the shaft that have to be synched, and as noted, only on a shaft with SCs at each end.

You can actually avoid vibes on an sc-sc shaft by having the pinion point above the ds by the same angle as between the tcase output and the shaft just the same as you can by pointing it below the shaft by the same amount, but that is not common since it would result in screwy behavior and breakage when the springs compress.

I totally agree.

But unless you're disassembling your driveshaft and moving the yokes around, where you bolt it to an 8.8 doesn't mean a hill of beans. The u-joints don't change their mounting because you take 4 bolts out, spin the pinion flange one bolt hole and then bolt them back up.

That's why I was saying that "where" you bolt it to the pinion flange on an 8.8 doesn't matter. It doesn't affect the relationship that the u-joints have with each other.

Unless I'm not understanding where you're coming from. I work on airplanes that have sync shafts that spin at 25k rpm.

Dump auto locking hubs.
Trim fenders.

I must disagree, the best advice molly has ever given was at the campfire when she said "pleeeese eat more turkey".

:D

I missed that part. That wind made me hide out in the Jeep and I fell asleep before the turkey was done! :(

I must disagree, the best advice molly has ever given was at the campfire when she said "pleeeese eat more turkey".

:D

Quoted for truth.

Aaron, if I had a twoplace I would have already bought your mj on the way home. I am a sucker for MJs.

There is definitely something wrong here...

1dd85c23.jpg

mac 'still need to figure out what is going on with it' gyvr

Back