• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Nail Salon

Care to give me a GREAT deal on your current axles when you pull them?

We will be going to koh again. Let me know if you want to setup a Naxja camping area.
Good to know, Tim. I'm going to try my best to make it down. It would be nice to meet up with the NAXJA crew while down there.
Care to give me a GREAT deal on your current axles when you pull them?
That depends if you won big in Vegas or not? :D

No, hopefully in Jan when we go again.

I would just like it to be publicly known, that I have been fully neglecting The Nail Salon. (n)

I did bring it out to the annual Thanksgiving Run at TSF back in November. I ran it hard, and it performed like a champ all weekend.

Photo cred to Nightfoam.
dustinbatesraod.jpg

torxrockyuphill.jpg

Ran good ole Waterfall. Video cred to RJ2.0

It was a really fun run this year!

A few weeks then past, and The Nail Salon literally sat in the driveway for 21 days and didn't move. After a brief snowfall in town one day I hit up BPB for an impromptu "snow" run that evening after work. Much to my suprise after sitting through the week of freezing weather, The Nail Salon fired right up.

The snow run was pretty uneventful. Didn't air down, and sported 2Low pretty much the whole time. It was a disappointment.

Since then (early Dec), it's once again sitting in the driveway doing nothing.

I didn't pull the trigger on any items for Phase2 during the Thanksgiving sales, nor the Christmas sales, nor the New Years sales. I'm kind of at a cross roads as to what to do. The 4500 MJ is pretty much my main focus right now. It's a great learning experience for Nail Salon 2.0.

Until that's finished, I just don't have the motivation or time to start tearing into the Nail Salon. In the meantime it could definitely use some maintenance for winter wheeling which I've been neglecting badly.

-Motor mounts (Brown Dog or TORXfab?)
-Tranny mount (Poly or OEM?)
-Suspension bushings (LCA's, front lower shocks)
-Oil change (meh, about that time again)
-Rear main, valve cover, oil filter gaskets (seems to be leaking more)
-Ballast resistor for HVAC controls (fried that awhile ago, winter is here)
-Possible LF unit-bearing (slight play in it)
-Good thorough once-over of bolts/joints
-CO2 exchange

That's the New Year's update on my junk.

Tracked down a 150PSI preset regulator. Western Enterprises #RP320150.
P1070537.jpg

Pretty simple setup. Tank, regulator, hose. Just need to figure out a good mounting system, and I'll be in business.

Well you have had plenty of time to test this part.

How is it working for you?
How long does it take to fill one of your 33's?

Thank you
Jason

Thank you
Jason

I have the same setup, "my" thoughts are, it's one of the most reliable sources of air due to the lack of mechanical parts, Buy a decent hose and a clamp on style tire chuck, and you're set.. Also, With that said, one tank of Co2 lasted way longer then I expected.

I have the same setup, "my" thoughts are, it's one of the most reliable sources of air due to the lack of mechanical parts, Buy a decent hose and a clamp on style tire chuck, and you're set.. Also, With that said, one tank of Co2 lasted way longer then I expected.

When I had it my only change would be to add a pressure gauge before the reg to see how full the tank is. I never had a "surprise" empty but I've gotten leaky tanks before.

Thank you
Jason
My CO2 setup has been trouble free from the get go. It just flat works, which is what I like. I don't have to worry about oilers, filters, or having my rig running for it to work.

I've never actually timed how long airing up takes, but I'd guess I'm pretty close to the 1 minute mark give or take depending on what pressure I was at (8# trail, 3# snow). It seems like most of the time I'm finished with all four before most people have their second tire filled. Then the dirty looks start.

Usually on average I get about six fills off a 20# tank (24 tires). The regulator can get pretty frosty after awhile, but I've yet to have it freeze on me, even on snow runs. The 20# tank is a little bulky (mostly just tall). If I had to do it again, I think I may go 10# instead just for a more compact setup.

I have a similar set-up, but not sure the pressure on the regulator, right off...

It takes forever to fill one tire. Might look for the regulator you have.

Thank you
Jason

Got the itch work on the axles today. Since the rear HP60 will be getting all new brackets, the old ones needed to come off.

With out the shafts and brakes the 60 is now semi-easier to move around. Still not an enjoyable task by any means.
AC9A6E8E-2D0C-4AD8-9075-0FD9E191B1F9.jpg

The old brackets were welded on pretty good. All four sides of the leaf perches were burned on. I would also be removing the shock mounts and antiwrap bar mount too.
D2289EF0-A60F-4907-A3DA-3171233B04D8.jpg

To remove the brackets I used a grinding wheel to "rough cut" my way through the majority of the welds. From there I switched to a die grinder to help cut out more of the weld. You'll begin to see a crack appear, which is the two pieces beginning to separate.
36DA85CC-0EB6-4539-9962-1D54B448BA4F.jpg

At that point get out the BFH...
78237E0E-7CB5-413F-BB92-5A58A3A78FB0.jpg

Success.
3AFF88DB-4440-4EAD-B256-AF03BA41EF2C.jpg

Even taking precaution to not cut into the tubes, I still managed to get into the axle tubes a bit on a few of the cuts.
FC3E7A2F-3F76-4520-AB3A-96E47906F9D5.jpg

It's metal though, so I just replaced what I took away.
3C358534-F7EB-47FF-B5B1-B4B8E7F980CC.jpg

Ground smooth, and ready for the new hardware.
40FC65D4-BFA6-40D9-9F33-E5DD0FBFE1F2.jpg

Wire wheeled most of the housing, and then gave it the degrease/wash treatment.
C9F18CA1-BD59-4C01-B0ED-E5547947266F.jpg

It's a start. Today was the first time I started and drove the Nail Salon since, Decmeber 11th.

I'm back in Canada! I was just in Sweden for the summer to finish up BF4...

Yeah I mean, I'm not a welder, but I see your welds and they look like a machine created them! Pretty impressive, I bought a small welder, but I don't have a garage so its at a buddies house, and consequently, I never get to practice.

I've been daily driving the Nail Salon this past week. I loaded up the Tera60, and dropped it off for pinion bearing replacement. Should have it back by the end of the week.

50DB4C28-0899-4ED9-B921-F0CF8CF69E86.jpg

I'm also still contemplating on driving the Nail Salon down to KOH in two weeks. I need to do a good once over of everything in the next few days to really make up my mind. Check the wheel bearings, ball joints, fluids, u-joints, grease chassis, etc. It would be nice to cross Johnson Valley off the Nail Salon's bucket list.

Hey Dustin, I just re read through your entire thread (well minus the last two pages cause I wanted to leave work on time). Even though I've read it before and seen it in action your craftsmanship and attention to detail still amazes me.

I read through it again to get a better idea of basic maintenance things I should do since I just got my hands on a pristine, lovely cherry red '99. Coolers and 2awg grounds are very close to the top of the list.

Thanks again for documenting your build so well, and giving me inspiration to build a rig that hopefully in the next couple years will join you down in Moab and rubicon!

Hey Dustin, I just re read through your entire thread (well minus the last two pages cause I wanted to leave work on time). Even though I've read it before and seen it in action your craftsmanship and attention to detail still amazes me.

I read through it again to get a better idea of basic maintenance things I should do since I just got my hands on a pristine, lovely cherry red '99. Coolers and 2awg grounds are very close to the top of the list.

Thanks again for documenting your build so well, and giving me inspiration to build a rig that hopefully in the next couple years will join you down in Moab and rubicon!
Thanks, man.

I'm pretty pleased with how this Jeep has performed over the past few years, and what all it's accomplished. Looking back I don't think I would change anything with the initial build. Maybe that's why I'm dragging my feet on Phase2.0. :D

Back