• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

photobucket-5937-1328488727357.jpg

Just one of the problems...
The chief mechanic is checking it out!

well, after having the alternator go out at the starting line as we were lining up (charging stud pulled out of the back), they had both front hubs go out and swapped them at the first pit. then the trans started giving them problems before the rear axle finally decided to go banana on them. We gave it a hell of an effort but it just wasn't going to happen this race.

I still had a blast helping with the car, thanks for the opportunity guys :thumbup:

The hubs were swapped out on Martel. Thats why they were sitting there so long.

Pit One just dumped 5 gallons of fuel, two bottles of water and a banana.

I have video of the stop at Pit One that I need to process and upload.

At least we made it back in under our own power.

Every+Man+Challenge+-+67.jpg

Please either remove this image or at least take out the major issue shown in this image on the lower right side!

Its bad enough we have to hear it from the saftey crew and BLM, but for you to show it on a public forum for them to see, and have to enforce even further is not cool...

Please either remove this image or at least take out the major issue shown in this image on the lower right side!

Its bad enough we have to hear it from the saftey crew and BLM, but for you to show it on a public forum for them to see, and have to enforce even further is not cool...

Being taken care of.

Good eye Robert we have to deal with enough "rules" as it is.

Car did awesome.

Richard is amazing behind the wheel. We started late due to an alternator failure, but had passed a dozen or so rigs before we got to Martel.

At Martel we had a hard time climbing. Front hubs weren't engaging, no idea why. Swapped them out with the old spares which worked fine - new ones were not broken.. who the hell knows whats wrong.

After Martel we made really good time to Elvis. On Elvis there was a yota winching down a rock pile that held us up for a bit. On our turn, we got a flat over the rock. Jumped out to see the best way down, and saw some leaking trans fluid. Winched down Martel on the flat and leaking fluid, tightened up the transmission cooler line and replaced the flat tire.. then saw just how bent our rear end was. Richard and I discussed it at length and determined we'd rather call the race than have the rear end come apart on a rock trail and create a nightmare for everyone.

That turned out to be a really good decision. We drove the car back to the garage on its own power, but the next time someone went to move it, the rear end wouldnt engage at all - broken ARB.

The car is stupid fast. We did break a driveshaft and yoke pre-running, because our pinion angle was off.. once we fixed that, everything was peachy. =)

The team has a lot of amazing people involved. We'll really rock it at Glen Helen later this year..

what are you gonna do for a new rearend? Clearly, an XJ 44 isn't up to the task... at least not trussed like that.

what are you gonna do for a new rearend? Clearly, an XJ 44 isn't up to the task... at least not trussed like that.

LOTS of discussion about that. Strength verses clearance versus weight versus cost........

We'll see. Doesn't make much sense to look at another D44, even though we can easily truss it enough to make the housing live. Then we could be at risk with the ring and pinion. Not likely to blow a rear D44 ring and pinion, with 35" tires and more air pressure than you normally run for crawling, but it can happen. I blew D44 rear gears with 33" tires once.

tru hi9. Do it, you won't :eyes:

Back