• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA King of the Hammers preperations

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=978342

ask and i will search. :)

Here's a quick quote, since the good stuff doesnt start until 20 posts or so into that thread.

ok. Now that I'm at my desk, had some coffee, and had a chance to replace the cell phone I dropped Richards head on sunday morning.

First, Thanks Russ! You busted your ass and made a mess of your shop, but got the engine done sorta within our deadline. Much Apprciated!

Thanks to Mike Finch (willy51). He was there every day helping, and probably drove 600 miles running my errands.

Cal: "Hey, run to Sequioa's and pick up his 99 shortblock, I need a part off of it." Mike: here you go Cal: "Great! now run to Kyungs and do the same thing."

He's a trooper.

Thanks to Kris Tholke, Sequioa, Kyung and a few others for chipping in parts. Some were pretty minor, a few were far from minor. :)

For those who want to know

4.2 12cw crank
KB 944 forged pistons
4.0 rods
7120 head ported/polished
mopar performance 30ab cam (Thanks Kris!)
mopar performance valve springs/keepers/shims
late model main brace
cloyes timing set
Hesco high volume blueprinted oil pump part M167HVS
Clifford Performance blueprinted water pump
a lot of custom machined stuff
a lot of arp stuff
a lot of one-of russ stuff

I'm tired, the numbers are a big blur in my head, but iirc Russ cut about .060 out between the deck and the head, we're in the 10.5 cr range and around .045 quench

An entire day just building rods.
IMAGE_020.jpg

The KB pistons could have a better dish, but no time for custom.
IMAGE_021.jpg

This is one heavy crank, and it uses every bit of room available to it.
IMAGE_026.jpg

In fact, it uses so much room we had to make custom spacers to fit the main brace. Don't try this at home! :) Later, we had to clearance the oil pan both for the brace and high volume hesco oil pickup.
IMAGE_031.jpg

Oooh pretty!
IMAGE_032.jpg

I dropped the head on my 3 day old $500 cell phone just after that picture, so that was the last one I took. I'm sure Russ can chime in with more details on the motor at his leasure, but right now strokers are probably the last thing on his mind. :)

-C

I've got a mopar performance distributor, MSD ignition and JET ecu for renix we were going to throw in, but decided there are too many unknowns and reliability is more important than a few extra horsepower.

We're running a renix pcm with a bored renix throttle body, on an HO intake and header. Its a pretty tight setup.

If we were to do that, we'd probably want to do an engine dyno and not ground dyno .. and no, no chance of that. Its installed and running, it was FAR more difficult than it should have been to get it all done and its not coming back out. :)

I suppose if someone had a rear wheel dyno in bako that would take 40's, Richard might be willing to give it a try - but I don't know that its necessary.

I'm going to guess, looking at the various formulas around and peoples posted results, that we're somewhere in the 275 horsepower range. The cam we used (mopar 30ab) puts our peak torque and horsepower in the 3000-4000 rpm range where its really useful, instead of having to sit at redline to get the job done.

And let me tell you, it drinks the gas. I've arranged a 55 gallon drum of fuel for KOH week, and as I'm looking at fuel consumption, race day and practice plans, I'm starting to question if thats enough (we do have to feed 2 rigs..).

Sounds like mine. I only have about 400 miles on it since I installed it last January but it seems I get around 7MPG in the ways I've used it so far(95% off road use). Damn though, the thing brings a smile every time I get on it. :cheers:

Here's the latest work on the buggy. It's pretty stripped down, wheels are off, skins are off, shocks are off getting rebuilt and revalved, seats are out, fuel cell and plumbing are out. Figuring that three weeks ago the motor was out, the rig has been pretty stripped down. This racing is hard work. :D

standard.jpg

Cal is putting in a Compu-shift so I can lock it in 2nd gear, ans installing the new VHF radio.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Cal and Mike drove up Fri afternoon and we worked on the rig Fri, Sat and Sun. Cal spent about 8 hours doing misc electrical work, plus a bunch of other stuff. Mike built the mounts for the two fuel cells. I replaced the main 12 gal cell with a 16 gal, and we're installing the 12 gal as a 2nd tank just for the race.

standard.jpg

Here's the spare tire carrier, it bolts to the rear of the buggy with tube clamps and will come off after the race.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The two fuel cells are in, a pretty tight fit, and the spare tire carrier is bolted up, with the spare on to try it out. there are tabs on the tire rack for a couple of ratchet straps that will be used to hold the tire on. We plan to try a stock XJ screw jack and keep it in the storage area under the seats.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Its funny how much less work that looks like in the photos. I almost feel like its not the same jeep who's metal shavings I am covered in. :)

Realy i think we should just run the bungee cord for the race, light weight and fast :)

The two fuel cells are in, a pretty tight fit, and the spare tire carrier is bolted up, with the spare on to try it out. there are tabs on the tire rack for a couple of ratchet straps that will be used to hold the tire on. We plan to try a stock XJ screw jack and keep it in the storage area under the seats.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Wanna use my Beard 3-point ratchet strap for the spare?

Ah ha, a 3 point would work out pretty well. In fact we were trying to figure out how to use 3 points but didnt want to make up a whole new ratchet strap to get it done. Let Richard know and we might use it. How long is it steve?

Yeah but the glasses are all the rage with the new fullerton car thief crews :)

Yep metal is easier than trees, if you cut off to much a welder can make it all better

Despite being raised on the mean streets of Fullerton Cal never did quite get the hang of hotwiring cars.

As a matter of fact, I hotwired that car just a couple hours before; and then installed a new ignition switch that doesn't randomly stick to 'start'. ;)

Ah ha, a 3 point would work out pretty well. In fact we were trying to figure out how to use 3 points but didnt want to make up a whole new ratchet strap to get it done. Let Richard know and we might use it. How long is it steve?

The two static arms can extend to ~48", the ratchet arm is ~40"

I like that! It has the clip ends, which can stay attached at the top two points so it's faster to use and we won't misplace it. Simple on and simple off.........and ONE strap. :looser:

:D

Edit: Oops.......it won't clip into the 1/2" hole tabs we used. Hmmmm......

Back