• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA King of the Hammers preperations

just a matter of putting on new tabs. No problem :)

You guys ever hear about radio frequencies? Should I bring an extra rig? Hand helds?

Mike now has the ratchet strap, hope it works for you.

Have strap will travel. Thanks Karstic, i'll let you know how it turns out.

Have strap will travel. Thanks Karstic, i'll let you know how it turns out.

So you have your strap-on and are going to see Richard this weekend ?

2669640200037273218S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
So you have your strap-on and are going to see Richard this weekend ?

2669640200037273218S600x600Q85.jpg
Nice... just don't let Richard get your Goat...or he'll feel really sheepish. I know... baaaaad puns. Sorry!

dear god carol that was terrible, and tecnicaly its karstics, im just holding it for him. ;)

Lot's, lot's to do yet. Progress has been slow this week, nearly all of my time has been messing with the plumbing on the fuel cells, and a little bit of welding to beef up the frame side rear control arm mounts, and re-mount the amber light. Getting the 3 Walbro pickups in the main tank was a real PIA, and time consuming. I also found that I had no rollover valve in the other fuel cell like I thought I had. There was simply a rubber fuel hose attatched to the inside of the fitting, and that hose was deteriorating with chunks of rubber in the bottom of the cell. I removed the foam, removed the fitting to be able to remove the hose, and cleaned out the tank. The vent lines are properly routed, just need to install the ball valve. A new rollover valve will be here tomorrow, so tomorrow night the tanks and plumbing will be finished.

Still need to:

Replace 2 rod ends on the steering, and replace the bolts
Align front tires
Add gusset to frame side front UCA mount
Install axle side UCA mount and control arm
Install rear LCA's with new bolts
Install all four shocks and air them up to set ride height
Fix t-case vent line and route to new can along with the rear diff vent
Make new floor panel to cover the t-case
Remove bump stop pads and old coil perches from front axle
Install seats and new seat belts
Bolt down console
Mount up four new tires
Install cutting brakes

That's the stuff I "hope" to get finished by mid week next week, ready to head to JV for the weekend. When I get back then more stuff needs to get done, including replacing more bolts, torquing every bolt to spec and marking them with Torque Seal, moving the air line fittings, dealing with a second battery and ability to weld, making and installing new skins, installing all new stickers, changing the oil, building a heat shield over the muffler, pulling apart the drivers side knuckle to check the unit bearing, making an additional bracket on the pass side motor mount, changing the oil and filter, etc.

It's going to stay very busy. :D

My list is long but getting shorter.

This weekend is
mount GPS
horn
fuel ball valves
battery kill switch
mirror
new power sterring pump and remote res
replace coolant with legal stuff
more catch cans for tranny, t-case, steerig

you said "change the oil twice" See im shortening the list allready :) Dont worry Richard im coming to the rescue!

you said "change the oil twice" See im shortening the list allready :) Dont worry Richard im coming to the rescue!

:clap:

:worship:

:cheers:

Sorry, I don't think you'll be getting that stuff till Monday or Tuesday. :banghead:

I still have plenty to keep me busy. :gee:

Thanks for sending everything down. The steering will be well traveled
when it does get here. They sent another order today and swear it's going
to the right place.

All of my parts are here now. ORI shocks arrived after all four were upgraded and the valving changed, and I got a new female rod end for the steering ram and a roll over check valve for the fuel cell. The hood has a bunch of stuff setting on it that need to be installed.

It will be another busy weekend.

OK OK, but i had to get some sleep first :)

Heres what got done over the weekend

Cut off old spring mount and front bump stop plates.
Gusset lower control arm brackets
Heat / fuel shield over exhaust
Install roll over valve in vent line
Fabricate Tcase access pannel
Vent Tcase and rear axle
mount breather/catch can
Finish tank plumbing and wet test
Wire tie atlas control arm Eclip mount
Check front drive shaft bolts
Gusset tire carrier and add 1 tab for y strap
dismount old tires and mount new tires, Torque bead locks and check seal
New braided custom hand made rear brake lines
build mounting bracket for cutting brakes
mount and blead cutting brakes.
tab and mount center console
install driver rear lower control arm
revers passenger rear lower control arm

heres some pics
http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq235/willy51_naxja/KOH%20prep/

Thats the short list, im sure there was other things but its all just a little blurry right now :)

Last edited:
We got quite a bit done this weekend, and Mike did most of it. I had to work all weekend, so could only work on the rig Fri and Sat after work. Mike worked on it all day Sat and half of Sunday. Many, many thanks to Mike for driving up and putting in the time, I would be in trouble without his help.

We keep finding some little things that would be good to do as we go along. My goal is to be reliable and durable, I really, really want to finish this race. Thankfully, the rig is well tested so we have a decent idea of what the weak points could be and are addressing them. Bad luck and the unexpected can always strike, but we're tryng to be well prepared.

I'm real glad Mike got the cutting brakes installed, he made a nice bracket to mount them between the seats. This is insurance against loosing air to the rear locker, I can always use the cutting brakes instead of locking the rear. I'm going to pull the front cover and lock in the front locker so it will be like a spool for the race.

Tonight I'll put the ORI shocks back on and get the wheels/tires back on, put some gas in it and fire it up. I want to hear what the new muffler sounds like. We ditched the Flowmaster because it's too big and generates too much heat, the new Morroso muffler is smaller but it could be louder. Mike made a heat shield/gas deflector so any gas that might spill off the fuel cell when filling up won't run onto the exhaust. I also need to install new seat belts and put the seats back in, plus finish securing more lines and wires. We're heading back to JV this weekend for more running, testing and practicing. The ORI shocks were sent back for an upgrade and some re-valving, so we'll get them dialed in this weekend. We'll see how fast we can go now with the extra weight in the back and even better valving.

Back