• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tall Coil Question

You can have a coil wound to any dimension and spring rate you like. A 12", 250 lb/in coil is not out of the question, but ideally, it would be of a larger OAL diameter than a stock XJ coil. This helps it maintain it's shape under extreme deflection.

James

Have you looked at pictures on www.xjdb.com?

Do we have any cherokee members on here on 44s? I dont know of any, so you wont get much help. Im on 42s.. close but not nearly as wide as 44s!

Here is one on 16in 2.5in coil overs, internal external cage, 2.5 ton rockwells..
lots of work..
xj0485.jpg

This one uses coil srpings and 1ton axles more body.. but the 2dr body is sweet.
xj0306.jpg

Here is one on Coils and 2.5ton rockwells, military tires.
new_size171.jpg

Here's mine on 42s. Im swaping the front leaf springs for a 4link and 16in coilovers. I am happy I origionally did the leafs, it was realy easy to setup, and at the time I might not have had the skills/tools to do the front links correctly. the rear 4link was alot easier, no engine, frame clearance issues.
t_jeep1_991.jpg

I vote for some Rancho 44044 leafs (with shackle in back) on the front that would be alittle taller then mine, probibly 2in taller, and do a rear 4link with 2.5in air shocks, TJ front lift coils, or 2.5in coilovers if you can swing it.

Check out my buddie Jeffs shop. www.ballisticfabrication.com he sell mounting tabs and materials to build links and stuff.

Last edited:
ashmanjeepxj said:
James

Have you looked at pictures on www.xjdb.com?

Do we have any cherokee members on here on 44s? I dont know of any, so you wont get much help. Im on 42s.. close but not nearly as wide as 44s!

Here is one on 16in 2.5in coil overs, internal external cage, 2.5 ton rockwells..
lots of work..
xj0485.jpg

This one uses coil srpings and 1ton axles more body.. but the 2dr body is sweet.
xj0306.jpg

Here is one on Coils and 2.5ton rockwells, military tires.
new_size171.jpg

Here's mine on 42s. Im swaping the front leaf springs for a 4link and 16in coilovers. I am happy I origionally did the leafs, it was realy easy to setup, and at the time I might not have had the skills/tools to do the front links correctly. the rear 4link was alot easier, no engine, frame clearance issues.
t_jeep1_991.jpg

I vote for some Rancho 44044 leafs (with shackle in back) on the front that would be alittle taller then mine, probibly 2in taller, and do a rear 4link with 2.5in air shocks, TJ front lift coils, or 2.5in coilovers if you can swing it.

Check out my buddie Jeffs shop. www.ballisticfabrication.com he sell mounting tabs and materials to build links and stuff.

James, are you paying attention to this? If you want 44s, do it. The kicker is, if you have to ask on how to do it... you shouldn't be doing it! Ashmans rig is very nice, but he got it all done by experience and playing around with his own ideas. Most do not do 44s because they just don't give you any real benifit in the real world wheeling. Cherokees are great for trail use, camping, family, and harcore rockcrawling (newly added). Light, small, and reliable. 44s do not scream light, small, or reliable to me.

I was just looking for some insight as to the basics of geometry and I have talked to ash about it but I am just scavenging anything I can find so that I can hopefully get this close to right the first time. But any specifics as far as springs that have used for this kind of thing are greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think it will an interesting rig, those above show some of the options. As far as bring the spring perch down, I would not recomend it, but yes you can do it. Just don't bring the spring perch up on the axle. As far as bringing it down, take a look at a TJ that may give you some ideas. It is going to be a whole of fabricating and expense into this rig. It will NOT, I repeat will NOT be cheap. Personally I would do leafs up front and coils in the rear. You will be a lot more stable for those size of tires and still get a lot of flex. But as far as asking questions on how to do it, you will be the only one to answer the questions you ask after you tried it a hundred times. This is were more expense come into play. But all means have fun and post pics of the progress and wheeling after.

JamesD said:
I was just looking for some insight as to the basics of geometry and I have talked to ash about it but I am just scavenging anything I can find so that I can hopefully get this close to right the first time. But any specifics as far as springs that have used for this kind of thing are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yea, I sent you some PMs... same guy...

Just find an Xj you like and copy it. Or do leafs front and rear. Easiest quickest and probibly cheapest option. Get a 6-8in rear lift pack and modify the spring mounts if needed. You could inboard them to under the frame for more flex less stability, more lift.. I think you would like that setup.

1979 or 78 d60 front with 44044 front leafs with shackel in back.
any 67in wide rear, d70 ior 14bolt, with 6-8in lift XJ leafs mounted under the frame.

Take pictures and wel'l tell you what you did wrong in cases we couldent tell you how to do it...

Does anyone know of a place that has any specifics or possibly a write up on the yellow one or the one running in the mud also any more info on inboarding the springs. Thanks

Yes. The point of this thread was to gain a little more info on the mechanics of a tall spring but it has gone off on a wild tangent. LOL What about something like this instead of a spring. I assume that it is just a bellowed bag but is there a name for this or any info on it. THnaks
Eric%202.bmp.jpg

CRASH said:
You can have a coil wound to any dimension and spring rate you like. A 12", 250 lb/in coil is not out of the question, but ideally, it would be of a larger OAL diameter than a stock XJ coil. This helps it maintain it's shape under extreme deflection.

Was this too much or too little information for you?

I understand that you can have custom coils wrapped. I am just trying to determine my best option for something like this. Is this bellow setup above something that can be used similar to a coilover setup. I am just trying to decide what to go with so I can start ordering what I need and get started.

JamesD said:
I understand that you can have custom coils wrapped. I am just trying to determine my best option for something like this. Is this bellow setup above something that can be used similar to a coilover setup. I am just trying to decide what to go with so I can start ordering what I need and get started.

Your best option is coil-overs. They are the easiest to mount, the easiest to tune, and will work under the widest variety of situations.

16" travel will work the best. Search for "spring rate" or just call Poly Performance for spring rate help. You'll need to know your front and rear unsprung weight, and ride height (amount of shock shaft exposed at rest).

OK Guys I think I have bashed myself enough about this. I have decided that I want to go big with leafs. I want to get the MOST flex as possible from them. I woudl like to know the combination of what things will allow for this. Special shackles etc... Also does anyone have any pics of imboarding springs. I am totally clueless as to how to do this if you cannot tell. I want to go as tall as possible. I am going with full hydro steering so that is not a concern. Also will I need to make trailing links with running leafs or will the leafs be sufficient. I want to get alot of clearance so that what flex I can get I can use. I am buying a few of the CUCV 1008's so I will be running their front 60 and rear 14, so would it be better to order a set of like 12" springs for that truck and modify them to fit or possibly another route. I am open to suggestion. Thanks

JamesD said:
I am buying a few of the CUCV 1008's so I will be running their front 60 and rear 14, so would it be better to order a set of like 12" springs for that truck and modify them to fit or possibly another route. I am open to suggestion. Thanks

Just run the CUCV. A much better platform to "go big" with.

Plenty of room for an appropriate motor (400 inch minimum), and leaf springs are readily available to get you to the appropriate mullet-pleasing height.

P.S. I'm not sure why I feel compelled to offer you any advice, since you have taken no one's advice to date. Why do you even ask these questions?

ckh550 said:
I'd suggest getting another vehicle, not an XJ.

Chris

nothing wrong with building a bas *ss XJ, why does everyone think you need a frame based vehicle to build bigger?

just realize there is more to it than lift coils (or coil overs). front and rear links, D-shafts, GOOD heim joints, axle upgrades, body trimming, full roll cage (to tie it all together), hydraulic steering, etc.. if you did all the work without labor $$'s and found everything you need for dirt cheap (or free), you're probably looking at $5,000+

i run a d60 rear and a 44 front. the 44 is going to be changed in the near future. i can't wheel the 44 without busting shafts (3 this past weekend). and i'm only running 39.5 Iroks. you'll be very disappointed with 44" tires with anything other than d60's at minimum.

and if you want huge flex for minimum $$'s, research 1/4 elliptical.....

Back