• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superchargers for the 4.0 & the 2.5

Just got back from a nice long chat with Steve at XJ-Armor... His supercharger kit is still in the works, but I've got a few details and it looks like a promising kit! I told him I wouldn't spill just yet, mostly because it's still under development.

RENIX Guys - Steve's also got the only CARB-legal air Tube I've seen yet for RENIX XJ's - CARB EO D-577-1! I'll have to get a couple myself...

5-90

joecool said:
Hey, just to throw out another suggestion. XJ-Armor looks like they have a supercharger in the works. http://www.xj-armor.com/supercharger.htm The only downside is that you have to remove the a/c compressor, but it looks good and reasonably priced.

5-90 said:
Just finished? How about "In progress?" I'm still planning on getting my first edition out next month (on or after 15DEC2004 at the moment...)

Now I know what I want for christmas....

Also, that XJ armor blower is very interesting, any updates on boost levels or power output???

5-90 said:
I further don't think that any of the publishers will want to do the book my way if I send it to them cold. If I get a couple thousand or so copies out I'll have a chance, but I'll probably just do it myself to begin with and save the trouble (and headaches!)

5-90

If you need an editor for getting it into major publishers or for your own publishing needs, I do have an MA in Literature and a strong background in Composition Theory. I would be happy to go through that part of the publishing process for you as long as I get a free copy and maybe a little editor’s nod :laugh3:

You can’t tell from previous posts but I spel gud and wryte gooder.

He's aiming for about 6# boost with his production kit, when it comes out (probably in a couple more months...) This is a non-intercooled kit, and will make more power as crankshaft speed increases (a quirk of the centrifugal supercharger is that it is more suited to high-rpm power than low...) and will probably make for a better "street" kit than an "off-road" kit - I tried to talk him into letting me test one on my wife's 1989 road beast...

5-90

Its funny that somany people say that force induction wount help much off road. yes for the most part we tr to damn neat idle though as much aswe can but when it come time to build wheel speed have you ever watched your tach, its well with in the range that forced induction will build extra power to turn those tires when needed. i'mm looking at options for my little 2.5 street MJ since it is a little under powered. I personaly am leaning towards a turbo but if the right combination of price and quality i'll jump on the blower wagon. and the 2k pice of AJs is pretty damn reasonable

REDXJ4FUN said:
Its funny that somany people say that force induction wount help much off road. yes for the most part we tr to damn neat idle though as much aswe can but when it come time to build wheel speed have you ever watched your tach, its well with in the range that forced induction will build extra power to turn those tires when needed. i'mm looking at options for my little 2.5 street MJ since it is a little under powered. I personaly am leaning towards a turbo but if the right combination of price and quality i'll jump on the blower wagon. and the 2k pice of AJs is pretty damn reasonable

If you take some time and go thru my posts on the subject (not just here, so it will take quite a while - but it will also be in the book!) you'll note that I don't say that "forced induction is useless offroad." What I do talk about is that the different kinds of boost sources work well in different areas.

F'r instance, if you look at how a Roots or a twin-screw works, that's the form I'd recommend for off-road use. They are "fixed-displacement" pumps, meaning each time the rotors turn you get the same amount of air. More air? Turn the rotors faster. This fact means that Roots and twin-screws lend themselves well to off-road use, with the low forward speeds and mid-range crankshaft speeds.

Take a turbo or a centrifugal supercharger, and you've got a pump whose efficiency and output are directly tied to drive speed. The centrifugal, for instance, puts out FOUR times as much air when you spin it TWICE as fast - this makes it a good unit for "street" use where you'll spend more time approaching redline RPM. The high-rpm boost capability of the centrifugal gives it better thermal efficiency at high speeds, and therefore sees more use on the road (turbos are similar, save being driven by exhaust gas pressure waves rather than by a crankshaft-driven belt. The flow principles and efficiency rates are otherwise similar.)

How do I know so much? You should see my bookshelf...

5-90

Back