• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superchargers for the 4.0 & the 2.5

Legacy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i know i've read many post on NAXJA of people wanting more power,well i found two web sites http://www.Kennebell.net, http://www.Avenger superchargers.com
Well i wanted to two know what you all thought about them becuase i don't know much about superchargers.
On the avenger web site the offer on for the 4.0 and the 2.5.
Well let me know what you all think?

An increase of hp from 190 to the upper 200s is alright with me :) I've heard that it's mostly top end power though, and not that affective for wheelin

Gen 3 Motorsports in Golden CO. 303-215-9535 does Supercharges also, they have on a TJ and it is fast and kicks in right away

Unless you're spinning really big tires through deep mud or racing on sand, you don't need a supercharger. Fun? Sure. But not really needed. For 99% of wheeling situations you need factors such as tire placement, timing, momentum, tire pressure, and such much more than you need more power. Get some low gears and go wheeling. Put a supercharger on your street ride!
:)

pick up this month's issue of JP mag...
they cover all the superchargers available for jeep.

I'm looking at putting one on mine just to help get to the trail, mtn pass etc. I can't see the need for one on the trails we run up here.

hopefuly 5-90 will chime in here, he is writing a book on XJ and other jeep mods and write ups and basicaly a FSM based on ground up work.

he just finished his supercharger section...

XJ_ranger said:
hopefuly 5-90 will chime in here, he is writing a book on XJ and other jeep mods and write ups and basicaly a FSM based on ground up work.

Just finished? How about "In progress?" I'm still planning on getting my first edition out next month (on or after 15DEC2004 at the moment...) but I've still got a lot of contacts outstanding with vendors and manufacturers! I am getting requests back, and I've also been getting a lot of enthusiasm for this project, so it looks good.

It's going to be an "updatable" book that I'm going to print and publish myself, so don't expect a slick product like you'll get from S-A, HPBooks, or Bentley. However, you're getting a book written by a guy who started building engines when he was a kid (for my uncle's Corvette collection...) who built street rod and bracket/drag engines, and has a pretty good idea what works and what doesn't.

The reason for all teh vendor contacts running around is primarily legal - if you get permission beforehand, they'll leave you alone later. Besides, the more co-operation I can get from vendors, the more information I can get into the book and the better it will be. In fact, I've got another half dozen or so sitting in front of me to take to the mailbox for the morning's post.

So far, I've got a good writeup on general engine building practices, including all the little details that often go missed, a couple REALLY good ways to run-in an engine, the MOST complete list of AMC/Jeep I6 cams I've seen anywhere, and I'm working on the sections on strokers, superchargers, turbochargers, nitrous injection, and electrical mods. This is - and will always be - a work in progress. It will ship in a 3-ring binder, making it easy to get the updates and plug them into your copy.

It's not heavy on pictures - but it IS going to be heavy on information, and it will have something most other engine books don't have - tech support from the author! I've started a Yahoo! group for this book (and the next two I plan on writing for the Jeep world...) at groups.yahoo.com/group/JeepPower. Sign up and watch for updates - starting with an availability notice that should happen next month. Membership is open, and so are my ears. If there's anything you think you'd like to see in this book, post it there or email it to [email protected]

So far, I've started opening lines of communication with:
Clifford Performance
Kenne Bell Supercharging
HESCO, Inc (they're producing the FIRST aftermarket 242 head!)
Accurate Power and Machine
Erson Cams
Crane Cams
Schneider Racing Cams
Lazer Cams
Isky Cams
Crower Camshaft & Equipment Company
Whipple Superchargers
Avenger Superchargers
Automotive Racing Products
Factor X Engineering
Comp Cams
Electromotive, Inc (Aftermarket Standalone Engine Controls)
ACTIA Corp (last listed owners of the RENIX system and specs)
Rhoads Lifters
Goodson Shop Supplies

And a few others that are on the other page of my mailing log (the one I'm not looking at right now...)

I had originally planned on selling this book to a regular publisher after I had gotten it written - but I decided that it would ever be an "unfinished" project, since I'm also hoping it will kickstart the I6 aftermarket into a higher gear, and therefore require that I update my book at intervals. Thus, shipping it in a 3-ring binder.

Yes, I have sent out ONE copy for review as of about three weeks ago, and it was received by the very soul of discretion himself, so I don't expect any leaks there. Considering the responses I have gotten from vendors to date, I expect that I will succeed in creating not only the FIRST book dedicated to AMC/Jeep I6 performance as a whole (yes, I know about Jeep Engines, I have a copy,) but THE book on AMC/Jeep I6 performance as well.

I also hope this first edition will take off to the point where I can begin work on one of the next two projects I have on the board - either The Cherokee/Comanche Technical Manual or The Jeep Parts Interchange Guide - I haven't decided which.

I also have an essay submission out with Jp Magazine on the Califonia Emission Control Programme (a/k/a "Smog Check") and I'm hoping that will make it into print as well.

As far as what I know about superchargers and the like - you'll have to wait for the book now - I've got more room there and I like to get technical when I get started...

5-90

Put me down for a copy.

r@m

5-90 said:
Just finished? How about "In progress?" I'm still planning on getting my first edition out next month (on or after 15DEC2004 at the moment...) but I've still got a lot of contacts outstanding with vendors and manufacturers! I am getting requests back, and I've also been getting a lot of enthusiasm for this project, so it looks good.

It's going to be an "updatable" book that I'm going to print and publish myself, so don't expect a slick product like you'll get from S-A, HPBooks, or Bentley. However, you're getting a book written by a guy who started building engines when he was a kid (for my uncle's Corvette collection...) who built street rod and bracket/drag engines, and has a pretty good idea what works and what doesn't.

The reason for all teh vendor contacts running around is primarily legal - if you get permission beforehand, they'll leave you alone later. Besides, the more co-operation I can get from vendors, the more information I can get into the book and the better it will be. In fact, I've got another half dozen or so sitting in front of me to take to the mailbox for the morning's post.

So far, I've got a good writeup on general engine building practices, including all the little details that often go missed, a couple REALLY good ways to run-in an engine, the MOST complete list of AMC/Jeep I6 cams I've seen anywhere, and I'm working on the sections on strokers, superchargers, turbochargers, nitrous injection, and electrical mods. This is - and will always be - a work in progress. It will ship in a 3-ring binder, making it easy to get the updates and plug them into your copy.

It's not heavy on pictures - but it IS going to be heavy on information, and it will have something most other engine books don't have - tech support from the author! I've started a Yahoo! group for this book (and the next two I plan on writing for the Jeep world...) at groups.yahoo.com/group/JeepPower. Sign up and watch for updates - starting with an availability notice that should happen next month. Membership is open, and so are my ears. If there's anything you think you'd like to see in this book, post it there or email it to [email protected]

So far, I've started opening lines of communication with:
Clifford Performance
Kenne Bell Supercharging
HESCO, Inc (they're producing the FIRST aftermarket 242 head!)
Accurate Power and Machine
Erson Cams
Crane Cams
Schneider Racing Cams
Lazer Cams
Isky Cams
Crower Camshaft & Equipment Company
Whipple Superchargers
Avenger Superchargers
Automotive Racing Products
Factor X Engineering
Comp Cams
Electromotive, Inc (Aftermarket Standalone Engine Controls)
ACTIA Corp (last listed owners of the RENIX system and specs)
Rhoads Lifters
Goodson Shop Supplies

And a few others that are on the other page of my mailing log (the one I'm not looking at right now...)

I had originally planned on selling this book to a regular publisher after I had gotten it written - but I decided that it would ever be an "unfinished" project, since I'm also hoping it will kickstart the I6 aftermarket into a higher gear, and therefore require that I update my book at intervals. Thus, shipping it in a 3-ring binder.

Yes, I have sent out ONE copy for review as of about three weeks ago, and it was received by the very soul of discretion himself, so I don't expect any leaks there. Considering the responses I have gotten from vendors to date, I expect that I will succeed in creating not only the FIRST book dedicated to AMC/Jeep I6 performance as a whole (yes, I know about Jeep Engines, I have a copy,) but THE book on AMC/Jeep I6 performance as well.

I also hope this first edition will take off to the point where I can begin work on one of the next two projects I have on the board - either The Cherokee/Comanche Technical Manual or The Jeep Parts Interchange Guide - I haven't decided which.

I also have an essay submission out with Jp Magazine on the Califonia Emission Control Programme (a/k/a "Smog Check") and I'm hoping that will make it into print as well.

As far as what I know about superchargers and the like - you'll have to wait for the book now - I've got more room there and I like to get technical when I get started...

5-90

:loveu:

That sounds great! Have you considered a downloadable/emailable PDF? I will definitely be watching for more info on this.

Travis

Btw, why not approach Mototbooks or HP or someone to publish it. Sure, the vendors will change but most of the tech remians cnostant - and then you can do a second edition in a couple of years.

Don't do PDF if you can avoid it. Once it is digital it is lost - look at all the FSMs that are floating around on the net. I dream of a time in the future when all information is free due to the digital age but hey, you should make a few bucks in the meantime - still early days. :)

r@m

Let's see...

I've already decided that a .pdf isn't going to happen. There will be a companion disc with a few things on it, but not the whole book. I know all too well what happens to .pdf's online, and even if I somehow secure it, someone else will be able to break it...

I further don't think that any of the publishers will want to do the book my way if I send it to them cold. If I get a couple thousand or so copies out I'll have a chance, but I'll probably just do it myself to begin with and save the trouble (and headaches!)

While the vendors and tech are subject to little change, it is the aftermarket itself that I am actually HOPING to change, and that is the principal reason I want to leave this "open." Not only do I wnt to cover what you can do when you build your engine (that's the main thrust of the book at the moment...) I also want to review major mods and kits, compare one against the other where possible, and hopefully blow up the aftermarket to make our mods easier to find and perhaps get more mods with CARB approval!

Besides, there are also a few other fairly major things that may happen - the most notable being a RENIX Tech section if/when ACTIA gets back to me and if they are cooperative.

I"m still targeting a first edition for next month, but it's never too late to tell me what you want to see in the book (another key difference between this performance book and others - I want help from enthusiasts and I'd like other ideas than my own...) so go ahead and join the group I started now. That's also going to be the main avenue for news and such, so setting your messages to "daily digest" will keep you in touch.

5-90

XJ_ranger said:

and were still awaiting the Bell discount hes gonna get for us members! lol :D

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
Unless you're spinning really big tires through deep mud or racing on sand, you don't need a supercharger. Fun? Sure. But not really needed. For 99% of wheeling situations you need factors such as tire placement, timing, momentum, tire pressure, and such much more than you need more power. Get some low gears and go wheeling. Put a supercharger on your street ride!
:)
What if your XJ is your trail rig and your street ride? I tow mine now but when I was driving it everywhere I sure got sick of trying to get over the mountains with 4:56s and 35s yeah it would do it but I sure would like to have it do it better.

joecool said:
Hey, just to throw out another suggestion. XJ-Armor looks like they have a supercharger in the works. http://www.xj-armor.com/supercharger.htm The only downside is that you have to remove the a/c compressor, but it looks good and reasonably priced.

Pity they could not mount it on the otherside as you will have to have long intake hoses now. One from the back of the airbox over the rocker cover to the super charger and then other back over the rocker cover again to the throttle body.

Thanks! I'll go pay him a visit - he's spitting distance from me anyhow...

5-90

joecool said:
Hey, just to throw out another suggestion. XJ-Armor looks like they have a supercharger in the works. http://www.xj-armor.com/supercharger.htm The only downside is that you have to remove the a/c compressor, but it looks good and reasonably priced.

DrMoab said:
What if your XJ is your trail rig and your street ride? I tow mine now but when I was driving it everywhere I sure got sick of trying to get over the mountains with 4:56s and 35s yeah it would do it but I sure would like to have it do it better.
Forced induction is a great way to altitude compensate an engine. If I was in the Rockies a supercharger would definately be on my short list.

r@m

Back