• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

...sorry...another build thread...

i have noticed that the jeep steers much straighter and the steering response has gotten much better sicne ive added the winch bumper (plates both sides of front frame rails) and the frame stiffeners.

i already have the frame to steerinb box brace on the inside of the frame and i already the tracbar brace that goes acrross to the other side of the frame as well.

went to barnes and glad i did!
10lb .035 flux core(made int eh USA) for 39$ !!!!!!!!!
and grabbed a bunch fo other goodies while i was there , like extra tips, nozzles, magnetic ground, etc,

very happy.

i welded up the 2x6 end caps last night.
i need to plumb them for air next. then they will be ready to go on.

Last edited:
fold back pinch seam

P1010784.jpg

cut out some rocker on the driver side.

P1010785.jpg

mocking up the 2x6
P1010781.jpg

some prep to the angle iron
P1010779.jpg

after reading lots of cage build threads al over the web
i have decided to use HREW 2" .120 wal l for the main hoops on the cage
and hrew 1.5" .120 for everything else.

i plan to triangulate the hell out of everything and then some and tie it to the the b and c pillars(maybe even d pillars) as well as the roofrack and the rear quarter panels(just to brace them)
i also plan to tie in the entire cage along the floor with the 1.5" hrew as well

ill probably start with 100ft and then buy 100ft at a time as i go. but 100ft will get me started and get me reasonably far.

also will make some tube fenders at the same time.

and build a tail gate as well.

i plan to finish the rockers and start the rear bumper tonight.

i am considering cutting off the roof, building a soft top, and using a fold down windshield off a wrangler possibly.

Why hrew?? Looks like a good plan otherwise!

been reading alot about it and i think for my application it will work fine, since im gonig to triangulate and gusset the hell outta it and also tie it in to alot more than say, oh, a 10 point cage from S and W(they use EWS 1 3/4) ,

it will be tied into the floor in at least 14 places (at least a "14 point" cage) with tie ins also to both the B and C pillars as well as through the rear quarter panels into the rear tube fenders, to the the roofrack (through the roof) and probably the D pillars.
i figure at that point the 1.5" .120 HREW is fine, if i wasnt doing so much id go with the DOM for sure.

and it is way cheaper than DOM -
( 1.5" DOm .120 - the best i could find was 3.50$ a foot at team tube in west sac,
but i can get the 1.5 hrew for 2.25$ or less a foot from del paso steel)

-jonathan

got the pass side rocker on last night with the help of Josh !

we were lucky enough out the only serious behind dash fire and the jeep still runs!

i need to pick up some 1x2 .120 or .095 wall today for gussets, the 2x2 stuck down too far so we cut it off.
learning as i go.

we finished by 2am.

also figured out ill be doing an exo cage over an internal cage .
probably go through the roof to the floor with the A and B pillar supports.

itll be a hybrid kinda, mostly exod, with the b and C pillars going through the roof to the floor and with big plates on both sides, and then tie them together and triangulate where i can .

lessons learned so far:
this is basically my second welding gig, the first being the frame stiffeners 2 weeks ago.
i can that i learned finally today that for me it seems best to run the welder on lower feed speed, like 3, and keep the heat kinda high, except for the really thin parts of the body.

second, the materials needed for the rocker replacement:
(2) - 2x6 .095 wall x 62.5in (i bought these from S and K cut to 62.5in)
(4) -1x2 .120 wall x 11in ( i just bought 6 feet and cut it)
(2) - 1.5 .120 wall x 62.5 angle iron (i bought 4 since i was following erics build, but i didnt want to chop up my doors so i didnt go as high as he did)

its about 14in from the frame to the end of the 2x6, i originally had 2x2 going all the way to the end of the 2x6 on the bottom side, it looked like a rock anchor, so josh and i cut it off , and i picked up some 1x2 instead. higher profile .

also when welding the angle iron to the unibody , it is super thin, we didnt remove the carpet or anything so we were restricted to welding very little at time , and would let it cool, otherwise itd catch fire and we even caught the inside of the jeep on fire. have water ready!

i currently have 2 1x2 gussets off the stiffeners to the 2x6, i will eventually add 1 more per side but im sick of working on the rockers.

ill grind it all down and clean it for paint tomorrow and then start the rear bumper

P1010791.jpg

P1010793.jpg

P1010799.jpg

starting making the brackets for the bumper. i wont be pulling off the bumper since ill be keeping my trailer hitch,
but i do plan on eventually tying the bumper further down the frame rails, for now its a rock slider
ill be using 2x4 for the main bumper and have some 2x2 run down the quarter panels, and then have some 1x1 come off that to a .120 4x4 plate on the frame rail that will be bolted on.
P1010796.jpg

im also going to be filling in the gaps between the 1x2 to the 2x6 with some .120 sheet steel cut to fit in there. probably do that next week...

yah it was definetly worth it to go with 1x2 x 11 and not 2x2x 14 . a third brace on each side will be nice. i plan to maybe finish the rear bumper tonight...

I was hoping to help out again, with the sliders or the bumper, but you are are getting S**t done to fast. LOL

I won't be able to stop by until next week, maybe Monday? I am sure you will be finished by then.

Nice Build you guys!! I wish I had Jon's energy and time to work on my junk. Is your mig a 110? i have the same model but its 220 and works good so far. I still have that axle too if you still want it..

Back