• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

...sorry...another build thread...

also looking for a tank to hook up to the lincoln if anyone knows where to get a 80 pounder for cheap?

So what all did you guys weld up last night? this thread needs more pics...

Had a hell of a lot of fun.

After about 20 seconds of practice we welded up a long mount for my CB antenna. We attached it to the tire carrier and it extends up near the top of the tire, almost to the roof line.

Sorry no pics. Just painting it now so maybe I can snap one later.

nice
1st on my abysmal to do list;
install cb

was about to ditch some lame bar hopping friends and stop by last night to join in on the fun but had a free entry to see devil makes three perform and couldn't pass it up.

yah we learned how to drill out door locks last night too. its amazingly easy.

P1010753.jpg

P1010754.jpg

P1010755.jpg

P1010747.jpg

P1010759.jpg

went to S and K today.
picked up a bunch of steel including some 2x6.

starting welding up the stiffeners tonight.
had to notch out some stuff and drill some new holes to put the long arm x member bolts through.
ran out of .035 flux core wire. gonna try to finish stiffeners.

going to try to start full rocker replacement tomorrow

very nice!!

im planning on doing the same rocker replacement...looking forward to your pics.

my welds look like shit, running on the second lowest setting, might bump it up to three(second highest) for better penetration if i dont blow the breaker too often in my garage(my garage has half a$$ed electrical )

just got back from home depot grabbed two 1lb rolls of .035 flux core i dont know how long they will last.
grabbed another set of welding gloves and mask if anyone wants to help out!

nice.

i went over to a buddies house in citrus heights that is sending a jeep off (anyone want a free XJ?)
and welded on a jeep some 1/4" to the frame with the lincoln cranked all the way up and it didnt burn through. the 220 would zip right through, the 110 doesnt get too hot so i think the 110 needs to be cranked all the way .

picked up a 10 gauge extenstion cord for the welder at harbor freight.

nice.

i went over to a buddies house in citrus heights that is sending a jeep off (anyone want a free XJ?)
and welded on a jeep some 1/4" to the frame with the lincoln cranked all the way up and it didnt burn through. the 220 would zip right through, the 110 doesnt get too hot so i think the 110 needs to be cranked all the way .

picked up a 10 gauge extenstion cord for the welder at harbor freight.

We can test it out here. I am sure we won't blow the breaker in my garage.

was that Dave? I gave a dude your number yesterday...he stopped me in traffic and asked if i wanted a free XJ.

i should stop by one of these days during the week...im down to help.

ya it was dave.the XJ was total crap, but he was cool. he bought it for the axles for 200$ (4.88s and lockers) . he knew the rest was crap.
he is going to let me use his 3000$ tubing bender and his 220 MIG and i think i am going to just build my own cage over there, way cheaper, he showed me the hook up on cheap DOM-ABC steel? or something like that

so im not a good welder.
please give comments on the bad weld jobs so i can learn from it. the driver side was ugly, i turned up the heat up alot on the pass side and prepped it better.

here is the driver side.
i never fully cut off all of the LCA mounts, so the pass side ended up being kinda crappy.
the pass side was way better but ran out of .035 flux core wire. gonna grab more and finish it tomorrow.

P1010765.jpg

pass side is all tacked up.
P1010770.jpg

i learned alot from prepping the pass side. driver side went much faster.
one big thing was cutting the rest of the LCA mount off. and hammering over what was left. next was knowing what to look for to cut out. that made a big difference . working with the belly pan from TNT was a bitch, but its done. iplan to finish the stiffeners tomorrow and start the 2x6 rocker replacements.

finished after midnight tonight. met a bunch of freinds at the bar late after showering. i was the first to get kicked out .

P1010774.jpg

i have seen worse!! hahaha... you can clean em up...you will get better with time and practice...just get some scrap metal and practice practice practice!!

ya Dave mentioned it was no good pretty much...it was a thought! hope your cool with me passing out your number hahaha...atleast i did'nt write it down on a public stall!! "looking for a good time?" call....(925).... :)

dude always pass out my number if a free jeep or lifted jeep for sale is involved! dave was hella cool and he is gonna let me use his plasma, 220 mig, tig, and 3K$ tubing bender . im stoked. he was a hella cool dude.

these frame rail stiffeners are only the second thing ive welded in like 10 years...

finished up the driver side tonight finally .

P1010776.jpg

P1010775.jpg

Back