• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkels??

djblade311 said:
thats Greg (canyonman) drying his filter.
Yup, I know it was Greg. He followed me and while I had no other worries then the one that dealt with stinky carpet, he was worried about making it through.

Just to add to the snorkel debate...how about exhaust tubing?
Believe it or not, I have considered whether I want to mess with it. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out how to run it up.

I think snorkels are an essential part of a buildup for an all-around rig. I'm planning on installing one this coming winter season as a part of my "super-stock" build.

I'm raising my breather tubes, dialectic greasing my connections, and sealing my computer components, too.

I lost a perfectly good rig to a thrown rod. Not gonna a happen again. I think the $300 bucks for a nice Airflow or Safari snorkel is cheap compared to engine damage.

By the way, the dust protection charactoristics of a snorkel are generally associated with Cyclonic filters that set on top of the snorkel, replacing the normal ram. Its a common misprint/misnomer to say or think that a snorkel in and of itself removes dust from inflowing air simply because of positioning the intake higher. (As someone said before, I've also seen dust plumes higher than a snorkel.)

It's the same type of filter seen on many agricultural vehicle intakes to protect them from dust. Works very well. Especially in places with really fine bull dust like the simpson desert, mohave road (socal), Algeria, etc.

I think snorkels are an essential part of a buildup for an all-around rig. I'm planning on installing one this coming winter season as a part of my "super-stock" build.

I'm raising my breather tubes, dialectic greasing my connections, and sealing my computer components, too.

I lost a perfectly good rig to a thrown rod. Not gonna a happen again. I think the $300 bucks for a nice Airflow or Safari snorkel is cheap compared to engine damage.

By the way, the dust protection charactoristics of a snorkel are generally associated with Cyclonic filters that set on top of the snorkel, replacing the normal ram. Its a common misprint/misnomer to say or think that a snorkel in and of itself removes dust from inflowing air simply because of positioning the intake higher. (As someone said before, I've also seen dust plumes higher than a snorkel.)

It's the same type of filter seen on many agricultural vehicle intakes to protect them from dust. Works very well. Especially in places with really fine bull dust like the simpson desert, mohave road (socal), Algeria, etc.

:looser:

I personally like they way they look. But you all are right, the need for one here is almost zero.

Depending where and when you wheel ;) Bottom line is I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I've used my snorkel (as in been in water above hood level) 3 times since I put it on. First time I didn't really have much choice... second time... same thing... third time... I just had fun crossing a river ;)

Few weeks ago I was at the movies with the gf in brea. There was a newer Range Rover with a snorkel. I thought that was pretty funny.

Why? I know a lot of folks with lifted rigs that have never left pavement..... To me... that's even funnier cause it costs WAY more to lift a rig then to put a snorkel on.

Btw, I assume it was not a Ford hybrid of sorts :D

I remember when Remi decided to get a snorkel. 2005, on the Rubicon. He had wandered over to the sierra chapter fire, and Jes and wandered to the socal fire good and drunk. Jes walked up and said "watch this, those guys are going to convince Remi to get a snorkel.". First thing Remi said when he returned to camp 30 or so minutes later? "I think I'm going to get a snorkel.". Best troll ever. :)

So who talked him into the Polish chicken?

popcorn1.gif

Back