• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkels??

NRT_Chris said:
I don't see how a "Dorkel" would help in the dust and sand of the desert. If that was the case desert racers would use them. In my JS my intake is ran into the cab near the co-drivers feet. This will keep alot of debris from clogging the filter and provide cooler air. I maybe missing something, can you elaborate on how a snorkel mite help?

Hate to keep this thread going, but let me explain. The snorkel is to raise the intake above the level of the surrounding dust. I asked one of my motorpool guys about this a while back and he told me that almost every Army division was going through air filters left and right. So much so that the problem was referred to an engineering group stateside to see if they could come up with any solutions. The engineering group began a study using some pile of pentagon money and discovered that trucks used by the Marine Corps under similar conditions faired much better than their Army counterparts. The reason for this was the raised marine intake tubes, i.e. snorkels. Apparently they didn’t do anything to help filter dirt and sand past the filters, but they did make the filter last longer. In any case, all new Army hmmwvs were ordered with the marine snorkel kit. (And trust me, I don’t think the Army plans to get into the amphibious assault business.)

Early Hmmwv

hmmwv_imgw_004.jpg

Late Hmmwv
hmmwv_iraq_2004.jpg

As for XJ owners, it just doesn’t make sense. In every reasonable condition I can think of- normal wheelin, racing, daily driving, ect. you can just replace a filter when/if it gets clogged. If however, you plan to cross large expanses of desert with no auto-parts stores in the 1,000 mile vicinity, then a snorkel might be for you. I vaguely recall an Australian jeeper talking about this, but can seem to find the thread now.

I have several water crossing experiences here in alaska, and noone will tell you they are unneeded up here. Wheeling up here you will cross deep flowing water, and your engine dieing because the exhaust was underwater? never heard of it, not starting yes but stalling no. I don't know why everyone is so afraid of water crossings or hate on us who do cross the occasional creek or river, but when you see my xj's snorkel know it has kept my engine running several times without a big gulp of water down the intake

In all fairness, it had been mentioned that snorkles were dumb for Socal, not for places that actually have water like Alaska. Personally, I'm scared of water crossings, and if looks like I would need a snorkle, I probibly would end up turning around.

Mstrkage said:
I have several water crossing experiences here in alaska, and noone will tell you they are unneeded up here. Wheeling up here you will cross deep flowing water, and your engine dieing because the exhaust was underwater? never heard of it, not starting yes but stalling no. I don't know why everyone is so afraid of water crossings or hate on us who do cross the occasional creek or river, but when you see my xj's snorkel know it has kept my engine running several times without a big gulp of water down the intake

They're perfectly safe...

http://tinyurl.com/3dqsz4

:)

markw said:
They're perfectly safe...

http://tinyurl.com/3dqsz4

:)

Did you just find that video or did you know the person. I ask because I remember seeing a picture a long time ago of a TJ sunken into a riverbed after it dried, and heard a story a while back that it had been washed away just like that. I believe that is the same one.

I have a snorkel, but I'm also up here where water and mud is most of our terrain. I know a lot of you westerners don't like mud that much, but its unavoidable here. I never thought I would have gotten a snorkel, until I got stuck in a water pit and sank down. Had my left side sank instead of my right, then I would have needed a new engine.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/begster/CoyHill037.jpg

My next time out, after I had the snorkel, I was cruising in a pit of water that was no deeper than my bumper, then I went over a ridge and dipped my hood under. I'm glad I had it then.

People always laugh and ask me how many times I've used the snorkel, they are always surprised to hear that I actually have.
You can see the water line half way up the hood.
Kingston3-11-07005.jpg

If youy've used it your snorkle is fine. I only point and laugh at people who run them in areas where they're pointless ;)

And yes, that video isthe same TJ that was left in that river and got 100% covered in silt. It also claimed that Dodge truck and if I recall one more rig (I think they, the TJ and the Dodge were going to rescue a Pathfinder).

That TJ was KILLED, nothing could have saved it shy of not being there to begin with.

During hurricane Ernesto last year one of the roads flooded out and I had to get gas for the generator. There was a Cox cable truck F350 bogged out. I went in about 3 feet of water to get him out. I decided to make a run down the road and driving slowly the water came up to my windshield over the hood. I would guess it to be 4.5 feet. The snorkel worked great. The weirdest thing was how hard it was to displace that much water. But still in that deep of water the tailpipe was no issue.

IH8RDS said:
But still in that deep of water the tailpipe was no issue.
Ya I've never had a problem with my tailpipe being under water. I have heard a few people talk about it like it would be an issue, but from the experience I've had and seen it isn't a problem at all.

Also for the wrangler, that sucks, did the people get out alright? It would be funny if in many many years when a whole new culture inhabits the earth they go and stumble upon that TJ, and dig it up like an artifact. Might confuse the hell out of them too. Sort of like trying to discover info about the Ancient Egyptians. Something like taht.

I have actually crossed that same creek several times, but I'm not so dumb as to try it with it flowing like that. That is only one of several crossings on the way to the glaciers.
GSequoia, Have you been up here and seen it? Its not that bad most of the time

RobertF said:
Well the second the tailpipe went under, the engine died, and it had been well revved up too.

did someone forget to run an "Exaust-kel"? Note to dorkel users...if u raise the height of the intake...you should and MUST raise the height of the exaust..hhmmmm. I love those guys (and gals, but snorkels seem to be a guy thing---Snorkel Envy and all) that try to cross water without a thought to the exaust.. thats why these things suck and they look gay and retarded.

Cipey said:
did someone forget to run an "Exaust-kel"? Note to dorkel users...if u raise the height of the intake...you should and MUST raise the height of the exaust..hhmmmm. I love those guys (and gals, but snorkels seem to be a guy thing---Snorkel Envy and all) that try to cross water without a thought to the exaust.. thats why these things suck and they look gay and retarded.

I don't like especially deep water. I have, however, on occasion found myself in a hole that was deeper than the surrounding areas and/or buried myself in 3 feet of water trying to climb out of ruts. Exhaust has never been a problem, but getting your K&N "cold air intake" covered in mud and water from that front wheel churning it up through the fenders has caused some rough running issues. My snorkel is functional and I think it looks cool too :anon: . I guess all gay retards get married, have kids and go to college.:D

goodburbon said:
I guess all gay retards get married, have kids and go to college.:D

No but it makes for a good cover story.:confused1 :loveu: lastara

GSequoia said:
Yeah, it's pretty special...

....Especially in Southern California.

Good thing we don't have any members with snorkels here! I hear that sometimes they come with chickens too :confused:
You're just jealous. That snorkel has save my ass from drying a filter and praying for no water in the intake on the trip to Moab last year! See some of us actually wheel in places other then CA and getting caught in a flash flood SUCKS!

someone drying a filter:
dryingFilter.jpg

oh yeah: this got deeper further on
River.jpg

Bottom line is that I look at the snorkel as good insurance. We have seen an XJ throw a rod as it hydro'ed on Rubicon (granted he followed the river bed, but he didn't expect a hole he dipped into). I'd rather have it on my jeep and be laughed at by those who have never wheeled outside of the desert than be sitting in a middle of nowhere and try and figure out how to make it couple hundred or thousand miles back home on a busted engine. I agree that they are somewhat useless on those rigs that never leave town, or are only seeing desert but for those that wheel variety of a terrain they're a definate plus.

Last edited:
IH8RDS said:
:wierd: (n)

I guess that would be true if you commonly like to shot your engine off under water. I normally don't do that :looser: :explosion:

you are right---but some people stall and the backwash really sucks...to each his own..if you use it thats great, but i see desert guys with them and that makes no sense.

thats Greg (canyonman) drying his filter.

Just to add to the snorkel debate...how about exhaust tubing?

Picture001-1.jpg

As our XJ gets built for expiditon style running I am thinking about a Snorkel. Like another user said its more of an insurance then anything. I live in Arizona where there isnt much water but alot of our excursions are happening more up north. Do we plan on crossing rivers or getting in the middle of flash floods, NO! If it saves the engine once then it paid itself off.

Companies do claim to help on less dust and so on, but what makes more sense to me is this. When you have your intake up that hi and outside the engine compartment you are getting fresh cooler air. Alot less cooler then what you get with a factory airbox like mine that has no hose to the grille or even better then an open element under the hood. All that does is grab more hot air from the engine to suck in. You also get a bit of a forced air effect. Do i have dyno to prove this...no, but look at alot of proper preformance cars (excluded most of your rice runner economy cars) Corvettes. Camaros so on. they are getting forced cool outside air for a reason.

I wirte it off as an insurance policy.
M2C

Back