• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

simple cage ideas

I did a lot of research on cages because I wanted to run one in a CRX and what I found out was pretty shocking. Some guys think that running a cage and race seats with race seat belts actually reduces safety on the street... What do you guys think?

006.jpg

008.jpg

VS this...

after_roll.jpg

This was a high-speed (70+mph) barrel roll and endo. Notice how the sheet metal wrapped itself nicely around the top of the cage. The impact cracked Eric's sternum and bruised a lung, but both occupants walked away. We got the car back on its wheels, topped off the fluids and finished the race.

I did a lot of research on cages because I wanted to run one in a CRX and what I found out was pretty shocking. Some guys think that running a cage and race seats with race seat belts actually reduces safety on the street...

some guys think a lot of stupid bullshit.

please, do explain. cause it doesnt make any sense to me. unless they mean the added heat from having sparco's.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, this is the jeepspeed forum, at least the people talking crawler cages are SOMEWHAT on topic, you are completely off topic.

some guys a lot of stupid bullshit.

please, do explain. cause it doesnt make any sense to me. unless they mean the added heat from having sparco's.

Makes sense to me.

I'm sure a lot of the guys who bought "cages" and "racing seats" from Pep Boys and then had the cages fail in a fender bender and hurt them would all agree that they would have been safer if they'd left them out.

A real cage, seating, and restraint system will always make you safer provided it is properly designed and you have enough clearance so you aren't hitting your head on it. If a head strike is possible you'd best have it padded and be wearing a helmet at highway speeds.

After getting out of my race seat and 5 point harness, I feel a little inadequate putting on the car seat belt.....

After getting out of my race seat and 5 point harness, I feel a little inadequate putting on the car seat belt.....

But it sure is nice to be able to scratch your arse while waiting at a stop light, isn't it?

im sorry. i didnt know we were discussing pepboys plastic seats around here!
i do see your point however, but theres a lot of the import crowd that do it right, i'd even say we have a higher percentage of idiots than the ricer crowd, based on all comments from people expecting to build a jeepspeed racer for 5k.

I use my jeep for everything. I am also already disabled and have a 5 year old co driver. So I am trying to get ideas for the best cage for my situation. I posted here because the racers know what works. I think a kit with some addons is the way to go. The kits or raw materials are almost the same , so why not get it pre bent. I don't want a race car just a safe vehicle on any terrain.

I'm gonna put my honest opinion out there... ALL these pre-fabbed cages are SHIT, the fitment is HORRIBLE, I went through all this. Spend the extra dough and get the T&J pre-fabbed kit, it's a NICE cage, and fits insanely well. Here are some pics from it going in on mine:
Keep in mind they also have a racer cage for just the front passenger compartment.

Got a link to your kit, i am not a speed guy but i like how it fits in there
edit: think i found it
http://tandjperformance.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_43&products_id=8

are you able to run a head liner with a cage like this one?

Last edited:
Ffs am I on ignore from everyone? Half the statements in the last 2 pages are echoing what ilve already said. :doh: actually that wouldn't surprise me much, lol.

Bottom line is tie it into the frame, have someone who knows what they are doing weld it up and put it in for you, and if you can move enough to hit the cage with your head with your seatbelt on - even by trying to wiggle out of it - wear a helmet if you're moving. It can and will SERIOUSLY injure you in a rollover. Best of luck to you and don't skimp on safety.

some guys think a lot of stupid bullshit.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, this is the jeepspeed forum, at least the people talking crawler cages are SOMEWHAT on topic, you are completely off topic.

When you start changing vehicles OEM safety equipment, you affect all other parts of the safety equipment like the crumple zones for example and you don’t want your head to hit the cage even if its padded. With OEM seats and seat belts you get thrown so your body doesn’t get hit with the crash energy. With a cage and harness the added stiffness means that less of the energy from the crash goes into bending up the vehicle and more of it goes into you.

Ffs am I on ignore from everyone? Half the statements in the last 2 pages are echoing what ilve already said. :doh: actually that wouldn't surprise me much, lol.

I'm sorry, did you say something?

lolz...I get that a lot too.

To the OP: For a DD/mild all around wheeler, I wouldn't put a cage in it.
...,if you can move enough to hit the cage with your head with your seatbelt on - even by trying to wiggle out of it - wear a helmet if you're moving. It can and will SERIOUSLY injure you in a rollover. Best of luck to you and don't skimp on safety.
This can't be stressed enough. There's very little side support in the stock seats. Everything in the stock Jeep is plastic or padded. Any metal you add will be closer to you then the current interior. You really don't want to wang your noggin on a cage bar. Without a seat/harness that will hold me in place, I wouldn't put the jungle gym in there.

Having said that, if i were going to cage my wagon, my minimum build, and why:
6-point cage.
Full "B" hoop mounted behind the rear of the front seats(about the middle of the rear door on a 4-door)
Front down bars, through the dash, as close to the A pillars as I can get them. Straight spreader bar at the upper windshield corners. One diagonal bar from the left windshield corner to the right B pillar intersection.
Rear down bars from the B hoop to the load floor.
This setup would do away with the rear seat.

The reason I'd call this my minimum is because it would support the front roof area in a roll-over. Seems like every SUV that turns over always crushes the roof.
B-hoop so far back to get it away from my head.
I'm not sure about running bracing to the upper seat belt mount on the A-pillar. The only hit I've taken inside my XJ rang my head against that seat belt mount. Not sure I want exposed metal in there.

The only hit I've taken inside my XJ rang my head against that seat belt mount. Not sure I want exposed metal in there.

I've taken one there, and one to the upper door opening. Enough to slow me down until I get a cage and proper harnesses.

This really is a pretty good discussion. The points about not hitting your head, respecting the built in crumple zones, etc, are very valid. I have seen tons of cages on this and other websites that I consider to be unsafe in a daily driven XJ. Some think all about trail rollovers and being safe and some think about higher speed roll overs on the highway, but crashing into someone (a regular ole' accident) must be considered. While I've seen plenty of rolls that pushed down the A pillars and windshield, I've seen many more XJ rolls on the highway that did not push down the A pillars. Other than a freak roll like the one YELLAHEEP posted, and the bad one Santa took a few years ago, nearly all trail rolls don't risk the passengers. It really is possible to add minimal tubing to enhance the existing structure and keep things away from the occupants heads, you just need to think a little outside the box and not slap a bunch of tube inside.

im sorry. i didnt know we were discussing pepboys plastic seats around here!
i do see your point however, but theres a lot of the import crowd that do it right, i'd even say we have a higher percentage of idiots than the ricer crowd, based on all comments from people expecting to build a jeepspeed racer for 5k.

So you mean I can't use galvanized pipe? LMFAO

So you mean I can't use galvanized pipe? LMFAO
I was going to make a joke, then realized I should add a disclaimer, and a warning. Then it wasn't funny any more. Isn't the internet wonderful?

Back