• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SE Utah and Colorado? 2010

Just got back in from Alaska....OOFFDA waay too much fun in a few short days. 1200 miles on rental and gas is 3.79 a gallon, the most expensive I've seen it in the north. Looks you are all set for one helluva trip. At this point unless I get some cash flow and a reprieve from a major network inspection, I won't be on this trip. Hey MoFo thanks for the possible camping slot, I appreciate the thought. I'll post later after the 3000 mile flight jitters from airline coffee and a 1:00 AM flight are gone. If I don't make it you all have fun.

Hey Ryan I wish I’d had your camera around for the trip. My camera sucks.

Bryan,
As Ryan said, there is wifi all over the damn town. I think they have the powe turned up to 5 watts at the Slickrock Campground. You can pick them up a quarter mile away at Denny's :compwork:. We won't be in town much. The 3G data coverage is so weak outside town that you would be real pissed if you comitted to $60 a month :badpc:.

Damnit...

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...-white-rim6445

Quote:
A powerful storm that raked Canyonlands National Park did substantial damage to routes along the famed White Rim Trail and has stranded some vehicles at the bottom of the Mineral Bottom switchbacks, park officials said Friday.

Paul Henderson, the park's assistant superintendent, said rangers assessed the damage to the Mineral Bottom and Shafer Trail roads from the air Friday afternoon.

"We might have the White Rim and Shafer open tomorrow - seems the storm sort of acted like a tornado - slam something here and leave something there unscathed," he said. "Nobody is stranded on the White Rim. Biggest issue now are the vehicles at Mineral Bottom - until the White Rim is open they will have to stay put - and then they will make it out only if they are four-wheel-drive with fairly high clearance.

The storm hit Thursday and did substantial damage to sections of the two routes.

"Major damage to the Mineral switchbacks - initial reports are that the road could be closed for several weeks," Mr. Henderson said.

The Shaefer Trail Road and Mineral Bottom Road are at opposite ends of the 100-mile-long White Rim Trail, a meandering dirt route popular with mountain bikers.

Thanks Mike..

I guess at worst they may not have Mineral Bottom repaired, that would leave us having to return back to Shaefer or Potash to depart.

^^great minds think alike Ryan.

I dont see needing fuel but i guess i better find a carrier then.. dont want to carry inside the rig.

If you were to leave Moab, head out on the potash road, run all the way to the bottom of White Rim and back to Moab you would be looking at close to 220-250 miles of dirt. Can you manage that on a tank? I know some of the older jeeps can but I can't.

I dont see needing fuel but i guess i better find a carrier then.. dont want to carry inside the rig.

I agree about not needing extra fuel for the white rim. I'm not saying that having someone in the group with extra fuel is a bad idea, but it's not like your doing the Loose Screws Tour. From my experience a 1/4 tank completes the 100 mile loop proper including out to the end of it's two side spurs, and gets you back to the nearest gas station just in time. Maybe a worst case scenario you would use 1/2 tank on the rim, another 1/4 tank for starting from Moab via the Potash Road and returning that way, still leaving a comfy 1/4 tank cushion for any gas hogs in the group.

Trailer or no trailer my Jeep is a total pig. From what I'm finding it seems to be a 2001 thing.

Off road it seems to be at it's worse. With in 80 miles or so I am at a half tank and I can't get 200 miles out of a tank. This is with out my trailer. On the highway with the roof racks off and driving 65 with no trailer I can sometimes get 250 miles a tank...sometimes. The best mileage I've ever got was around 14. Normal is 13 MPG. 11 with the trailer.

Back