• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SAFETY REQUIREMENTS (Must Read)

Mike in NJ said:
5. Adequate attachment points in the front AND rear of the vehicle. Acceptable forms of attachment points are: Tow Hooks of OEM or greater integrity, D-Rings, Shackles or Clevis.
Is the type of tow hook that slides into the receiver sufficient for a rear application?

OneTonXJ said:
That's an affirmative there TRN, as long as you put the hitch pin in to hold it :D
Pin? What is this pin you talk about??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Does it hold it in or something?

Thanks,
Dan.
(edit) PS Maybe I should have added a couple of these: :D :D

Last edited:
I believe you can buy one brand new for $25 from a regular shop.... I'm just trying to remember where Sequoia got his from.... I'm pretty sure he paid only $25

DUDE!! I just realized where you live!!! Westminster??? I'm in Buena Park.... not too far :)

ok.... sorry... enough off topic stuff..... hit me up on AIM if ya got it hp70stang

Damn, I gotta find me some front tow hooks....

Okay, I'm using this little trick of getting this thread up towards the top (where we already have FIVE important announcements! :eek: ) - won't be the last time either.

Since I want to MINIMIZE any surprises come inspection time....

Three weeks from today I'm headed out :D :D :D and won't be able to answer any more complex safety questions like "Yes, you may bring a Class D extinguisher to put your mag wheel fire out, but it won't do much good if your engine goes up. That's what the B:C's are for."

Mike in NJ :patriot:

ok saftety sheriff........ i currently have a "uhaul" bought 1 1/4" reciever hitch on the rear... mounted solid with 3 bolts on each side... i dont have concerns over its strength since i hauled another XJ 250 miles on a wheel dolly with it.. up to snuff???
i also will be stealing the 2" front receiver from the trail rig for this outting.. i hate tow hooks.

sidriptide said:
ok saftety sheriff........ i currently have a "uhaul" bought 1 1/4" reciever hitch on the rear... mounted solid with 3 bolts on each side... i dont have concerns over its strength since i hauled another XJ 250 miles on a wheel dolly with it.. up to snuff???
i also will be stealing the 2" front receiver from the trail rig for this outting.. i hate tow hooks.

A reciever with a shackle or hook insert is good, or just using the pin. The loop of a strap can be put into the reciever and then the pin slide through the loop, this works very well.

See you in Moab,

goat, yer gonna get some confused replies I think....

I've never used that technique myself, so i don't know how well it works, but there's many on the jeep forums that say those pins can't take the abuse....

could possibly be internet myth, I dunno. If you guys use that technique out west with success, thats good enough for me.

I've used the hitch pin many, many times. Problem is his hitch isn't big enough to get most straps inside the reciever. Go buy a hunk of solid stell that fits in there and drill a hole for the hitch pin, then drill 2 holes for a hook that you can find at any parts store, or use a d-ring that you can find at any tractor supply.

Sidriptide wrote:

bought 1 1/4" reciever hitch

Mike:

That hitch and mounting method is OK as an anchor point, but like the guys said, the devil's gonna be in HOW to attach a strap to that sized receiver.

Personally, I have never seen an insert (similar to the ones for 2" receivers) for a 1.25", but I would guess somebody makes one (or fab something up yourself like Sean suggested). That way you can easily mount a shackle.

Regardless, you have a few weeks to figure it out (plenty of time! :) )

And Beez, regarding the "pinned strap" method of retrieval . . . while I personally prefer a D-shackle on an insert for my rear receiver, I have seen that other way work fine many times (and have used it myself on occasion). The pin showed no deflection.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

i have a D-ring and a hook for the 2" ... u-haul has an adapter for 1.25 to 2".. sticks out a bit but i wouldnt wheel with it mounted anyways... and i have a skid for the front.. as far as the "pin" method.. i've seen it, and done it.. don't see why it would fail , but its a reason to buy a RESSE pin rather than the cheap walmart pin...
mike

what is the 1 1/4" receiver (or actually the hitch) rated as??? how does it connect to the frame???

For our needs it needs to be rated way over the vehicle weight due to yanks and pulls and so on... Since you're buying one, why didn't you buy a 2" one??

Kejtar

Back