• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon or Bust

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on finally running the Rubicon later this summer (I would also like to run a few of the more difficult trails in the area while I am there).

Since I don't know the area well, I would really prefer to run it with a local or 10 who know the area much better than what I can gather on the internet ;)

In the past I know that you guys have put out tentative dates for run's like this and wanted to start blocking off a few dates for vacation and such to plan this trip. Are there plans for a trip like this later this summer currently? When would be a good time? Will Sierra Fest be there this year?

I know that there may be several others from the NW chapter interested in coming as well, but I don't want to speek for them and would rather work with your schedule to try to meet up with another group than plan it seperately.

Any info greatly appreciated!!

Michael

I am planning on finally running the Rubicon later this summer (I would also like to run a few of the more difficult trails in the area while I am there).

Since I don't know the area well, I would really prefer to run it with a local or 10 who know the area much better than what I can gather on the internet ;)

In the past I know that you guys have put out tentative dates for run's like this and wanted to start blocking off a few dates for vacation and such to plan this trip. Are there plans for a trip like this later this summer currently? When would be a good time? Will Sierra Fest be there this year?

I know that there may be several others from the NW chapter interested in coming as well, but I don't want to speek for them and would rather work with your schedule to try to meet up with another group than plan it seperately.

Any info greatly appreciated!!

Michael

My friend with a CJ7 and I are working on plans to go around Memorial Day, provided the snow has melted. The more the merrier! We have both done the trail more than a few times, although this will be the second time in my 90 XJ, prior trips were in a full size Bronco!

After the Fourth of July, fire restrictions go into effect, so no camp fires on the Rubicon or Fordyce. The weekend before Memorial Day is usually quiet, and it would give you an extra day of vacation if you took that whole week off. Post up the dates you are thinking about and I bet some locals will tag along with your group, hopefully my rig will be ready to wheel by then.

If I was to pick dates it would be in the July or August time frame. The campfire thing doesn't bother me too much.

I doesn't sound like there is much planned currently as a chapter?

Does anyone know the weekends I need to watch out for during July/August with regard to other large groups like Jeep Safari and others like this?

Thanks,
Michael

It's been a little slow, some people have gotten busy, some have changed focus, some haven't really gotten involved.

I don't know if I'll make many/any trail runs this summer because I'm planning on running in CalROCs again.

I'd be inclined to suggest towards the end of the summer for dry conditions, and hopefully fewer bugs and tards.

You'll want to check the dates for Jeep Jamboree, Jeepers Jamboree (I'm pretty sure two different events?) and maybe Sierra Trek.

If you're driving all the way down, I'd suggest looking into Fordyce or Barrett Lake also.

Are you towing?

If you want to avoid retards and busy trails, I might suggest early September. That is a good time for Fordyce as well with the water levels being low. I would be interested in a late August or early September Fordyce run. If you guys planned on starting out on a Friday morning, I would be wiling to lead a Fordyce run for you guys. Fordyce is harder and more fun than the Rubicon, although it is hard to beat the Rubicon for camping near Buck Island Lake.

If I was to pick dates it would be in the July or August time frame. The campfire thing doesn't bother me too much.

I doesn't sound like there is much planned currently as a chapter?

Does anyone know the weekends I need to watch out for during July/August with regard to other large groups like Jeep Safari and others like this?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi. The Jeepers Jamborees are scheduled for:
4-Day Jeepers Jamboree: July 23-26, 2009
3-Day Jeepers Jamboree: July 24-26, 2009
3-Day Jeep® Jamboree: July 31 - August 2, 2009

I'm not aware of any other times the trail is closed.

I am tentatively planning a trip to start either Monday July 27, or Monday August 3.

I was up there last summer during the week between the Jamborees and it was pretty quiet on the trail.

Mike

X2 on the Jeepers Jamboree.

Why bother with food and entertainment when they will supply you with more than enough. I just got my order form in the mail for 2009 and I'm dying to go again. Last year was a blast. Well worth the money if you ask me, but I'm not a hard core trail head. Yet.

Thank you very much for the dates and suggestions!
Late August or early Sept would work for me also, I am doing this reasonably early so my calendar is still pretty open.

I will be towing the Jeep down.
I definietly want to hit Fordyce and Barrett (any of the other more difficult stuff while I am down there).
I suspect that the rest of the family will also be coming down with me but I am not sure how many of the trails they will hit with me.

How long do I need for each of the trails? 1 day for Fordyce, 1 for Barrett, 2 or 3 for Rubicon to really enjoy it, anything else I should run while I am down there?
Where would be the most convienient place to stay (hotel/town) to use as a base camp for all of these trails?

Thanks guys.
Michael

Thank you very much for the dates and suggestions!
Late August or early Sept would work for me also, I am doing this reasonably early so my calendar is still pretty open.

I will be towing the Jeep down.
I definietly want to hit Fordyce and Barrett (any of the other more difficult stuff while I am down there).
I suspect that the rest of the family will also be coming down with me but I am not sure how many of the trails they will hit with me.

How long do I need for each of the trails? 1 day for Fordyce, 1 for Barrett, 2 or 3 for Rubicon to really enjoy it, anything else I should run while I am down there?
Where would be the most convienient place to stay (hotel/town) to use as a base camp for all of these trails?

Thanks guys.
Michael

If you want your family to go have some fun while you are out wheeling then probably stay in South Lake Tahoe. Fordyce 2 days, the Rubicon 3 days because spending a whole day camping at Buck Island Lake is worth the drive down. Barrett? Well if you only have time for 2 good trails then skip Barrett, it has beautiful scenery and a nice lake to camp at but it isn't all that challenging at all. More of a fun camping type run than anything.

Perfect.

I will plan on 7 days on the trail.

Michael

I am thinking August 22nd - 30th.

I am thinking of running Fordyce on the weekend for anyone else that is interested in leading that for me? You have a preferance of which weekend, either is fine by me at the moment? I assume meeting up for Fordyce early Saturday morning somewhere near the trail head works.

Then running the Rubicon and maybe Barrett (although I might not, I might just spend more time on the Rubicon). during the week of August 24th.

Thanks for all of the input.
Any assistance on what trail map or book I should get? And where to get it would also be great.

Michael

The Charles Wells book has all three of those trails in it and have served me well in getting to trails. You can get it at any major book store or online book retailer.

Josh

Thanks!!

Well, a few more "black out dates". Turns out the Jeepers Jamboree is also August 13th-16th and 27th-30th.
So, this will have to slide a week earlier (8/17/09) or a week later (8/31/09).

I started a thread up in the NW section and there a few other interested so I will give it a little time before I start to set the specific dates in stone.

Michael

Turns out the Jeepers Jamboree is also August 13th-16th and 27th-30th.

Is this a different closure than the regualar Jeepers Jamnboree?

According to the Jeeper Jabmoree website, the 3 different jamborees all are at the end of July (to August 2)
http://www.jeepersjamboree.com/

I am planning a trip this summer too, and want to avoid the closures.

You got more info on the closures on Aug 13th-16th and 27th-30th?

Thanks.

The Jamborees get a "Parade Permit" from El Dorado County for the run the last weekend of July and the first weekend of August. This closes the trail to non-parade participants. Along with the permit goes added security and clean-up fees.

The other events do not get Parade Permits, so the trail remains open to everyone. During these Jeep USA events, the Rubicon Springs might be closed to non-participants for camping but you can drive through. You'll have to check with the caretaker for details.

There are usually check points at both ends of the trail to prevent non-participants from sneeking in to the party. I know right where they put the "backdoor" for the Tahoe side.

I don't know when the Parade Permits actually goes in to effect. The runs start on the Thursday of those weekends but I'm pretty sure the permits goes in to effect on Wednesday. I'm fairly sure by Monday the permit has expired.

Doug

A little update.

I plan on being on the Rubicon August 20-21st.
I plan on being on Fordyce August 22-23rd.

The trip has been significantly shortened and I will be with a couple of other friends camping on the trail (no families).

Anyone interested in showing us the in's and out's of either of the trails would be much appreciated?

Anyone else intereted?
Michael

I wonder if I can get enough done on Green Junk this week to do a day run on Rubicon, take you in to like Buck and then just run out the top or back through Loon. Assuming you want to run Loon to Tahoe.

Actually, if you're doing Fordyce also and still towing, I might think start at Tahoe, in to Buck, then back out to Tahoe.

Does your group move pretty quickly on the trail?

Back