• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubbing on 31s?!?!

dude this is getting tiresome. I decided on a 3 inch lift so I could run 31 10.50's with out a problem and If i like run 32 10.50's with some trimming. this guy has got 31's on a 4 inch lift and he rubs! What gives??? I am so confused!!!!

I'm on 31x10.5's on 2 1/2" front and 3 1/4" rear... ( budget boost, it didn't end up even... but that isn't a problem...) I have no problems. I did a little trimming when it was stock, and did a little more after the lift for looks, but you should be fine on three inches. You might rub a tad on full stuff, but I wouldn't worry about it.

It always bothers me when people say you can run XXX tire size with XXX amount of lift. Lift has nothing to do with rubbing while disconnected and flexed, at least not in the front, within reason. The four link and coil springs will compress until something stops them (ie: bumpstops, shocks, bushings/joints, fenders)
If your lift is flexing as it should, the bumpstops are what should be limiting it. With factory bumpstops, any tire larger than 30 will rub on stock flares someplace (especially if you mess with the wheel BS). Its just the way XJs are made. I know some people will say their 31s dont rub, all Ive got to say is something is bottoming out and its not the bumpstops.

you know that's a very good point. I'm not saying that I don't rub... I rub a little at full stuff with stock bumpstops. I'm just sayin that it's probably not enough to fret about.

tayman said:
you know that's a very good point. I'm not saying that I don't rub... I rub a little at full stuff with stock bumpstops. I'm just sayin that it's probably not enough to fret about.

True. 31s arent really much bigger than 30s. With stock BS, the rubbing is minimal but its there and would still rub the same if you added spacers or taller springs.

i can handle the rubbing when im out in the woods or whereever when i stuff the tire...but im getting most of my rubbing when disconnected on the road while hitting bumps and cornering my passenger side flare ripped right through the screw holding it in place ive had to pick it up off of the road 4 times in the past week or so... my jeep is a 95%+ daily driver...being my only source of transportation at this time... and havent had a chance to get her disconnected and in the woods yet....if disconnected will it make a difference on road *i know not that smart or safe just curious*

Ever consider loosing the stock flairs?

Up front you gain over an inch in the wheel wells without trimming. I loaded up the flair mounting holes with a stainless 1/4-20-x 1/2 bolt that also holds up the fender liner and such.

Outback it is about 1/2 inch-ish. But be warned there is the body locating hole that is about 3/4 inch that sticks down into the wheel well that will need some trimming. You can just see it in the water pic in the rear wheel well.

Here are some picks of a 97 without flairs and without bumper end caps. I have and RE 3.5 inch Super flex up front and Dak Pak outback for about 4 inches of lift

I have not been out wheeling since loosing the bumper end caps.

Stuck%20on%20bigRock.jpg

watercrossing.jpg

P9040004.JPG

P9060013.JPG

JAS said:

Up front you gain over an inch in the wheel wells without trimming. I loaded up the flair mounting holes with a stainless 1/4-20-x 1/2 bolt that also holds up the fender liner and such.

Outback it is about 1/2 inch-ish. But be warned there is the body locating hole that is about 3/4 inch that sticks down into the wheel well that will need some trimming. You can just see it in the water pic in the rear wheel well.

Here are some picks of a 97 without flairs and without bumper end caps. I have and RE 3.5 inch Super flex up front and Dak Pak outback for about 4 inches of lift

I have not been out wheeling since loosing the bumper end caps.

Stuck%20on%20bigRock.jpg

watercrossing.jpg

P9040004.JPG

P9060013.JPG

what size tires are those?

JAS said:
XJCruiser said:
here in PA we have to have the flares on if the vehicle came with them from factory....PITA

XJCruiser said:
but im getting most of my rubbing when disconnected on the road while hitting bumps and cornering my passenger side flare ripped right through the screw holding it in place ive had to pick it up off of the road 4 times in the past week or so...
If your running on the road disconnected, and losing flares...why not just re-connect the sway bar??? :dunno:

Where is it actually rubbing on the flair? For example, If it is hitting the rear, and the wheel isn't centered in the wheel well (when stuffed), your control arm length is wrong. If it's centered and hitting the top, you need bumpstops or trimming.

As far as general rubbing, the reason people can run "X" size tires on "X" amount of lift is simple. Bump stops and/or Trimming! Hockey pucks bolted to the bottom of the coil buckets is probably the cheapest route.

You can get used pucks CHEAP on ebay. Just drill a hole in them, drill and tap the coil bucket, and bolt them in. You can easily stack them to get the amount you need.

I ran 31s stock at one point with the fenders trimmed with no rubbing. I raised the flairs up 2-2.5" as well, they are long gone now though.

This was mine with ~5" and 33s, I don't have any pics of the 31s handy, but you can see the raised flairs in this pic.

CleanXJ.jpg

TRAILREADYXJ said:
If your running on the road disconnected, and losing flares...why not just re-connect the sway bar??? :dunno:

Where is it actually rubbing on the flair? For example, If it is hitting the rear, and the wheel isn't centered in the wheel well (when stuffed), your control arm length is wrong. If it's centered and hitting the top, you need bumpstops or trimming.

i apologize about that... what I meant was rubbing on the road while connected...sorry for the confusion on that...

both wheels are centered and yet rubbing in the rear on the bottom

Rustys is the only place i can find with aftermarket flares for a 97+ XJ. is there anyone that I have overlooked other than Bushwacker?

XJCruiser said:
both wheels are centered and yet rubbing in the rear on the bottom

does it rub when you turn? i would've thought it was the BS in the rims now at 3.75 will stick out further and therefore interfere with the rear bottom bit, as it should clear with stock BS. I never had it rub there on stock rims 31s and 2.5" lift. i have 4.5" lift now with stock rims 31s, still no rubbing. i was sizing up my new rims (3.75 BS) with 33s the other day, and it was that first spot i realised it will rub esp. on turning. Grinder is my new best friend.

Dan96XJ said:
does it rub when you turn? i would've thought it was the BS in the rims now at 3.75 will stick out further and therefore interfere with the rear bottom bit, as it should clear with stock BS. I never had it rub there on stock rims 31s and 2.5" lift. i have 4.5" lift now with stock rims 31s, still no rubbing. i was sizing up my new rims (3.75 BS) with 33s the other day, and it was that first spot i realised it will rub esp. on turning. Grinder is my new best friend.

yes it happens when turning...when i bought them i sized em up and everything seemed to be lining up ok at the time had put just a wheel on the lugnuts with the front on stands and there was no rub or anything on the inside but of course never thought about with the tire on there and rubbing the fender flares....im trying to work up the balls to cut myself...or im gonna get some different wheels....

My decision to trim stuff was easy... when you pay $550 for the jeep, you don't care nearly as much...

tayman said:
My decision to trim stuff was easy... when you pay $550 for the jeep, you don't care nearly as much...

i paid under 4K but it was in near mint condidtion when i bought it....garage kept and everything...til i bought it...now sits outside....been shot twice with a bb gun by some kids, off roaded....but id say its still 95%+....ive put so much money mechanically into it in the past two years though, it isnt even funny....i was hoping to make it to NACFest this year....doubt that will happen

massscene said:
G The 31's dont seem to be holding you back at all.

31s do not hold be back as much as the open axles do... I have the fixes for them sitting in the garage now. Just saving up for the gears and lockers now.

XJCruiser said:
i paid under 4K but it was in near mint condidtion when i bought it....garage kept and everything...til i bought it...now sits outside....been shot twice with a bb gun by some kids, off roaded....but id say its still 95%+....ive put so much money mechanically into it in the past two years though, it isnt even funny....i was hoping to make it to NACFest this year....doubt that will happen

that makes perfect sense. you should be able to get away with very little trimming. My 31's rub ever so slightly at full stuff. with almost no (fender) trimming. Now, you are lifted higher than I am, which means your axle is pulled slightly farther backward. Is your rubbing occurrinig only while turning, flexing, or turning while flexing? Or is it all the time?

tayman said:
that makes perfect sense. you should be able to get away with very little trimming. My 31's rub ever so slightly at full stuff. with almost no (fender) trimming. Now, you are lifted higher than I am, which means your axle is pulled slightly farther backward. Is your rubbing occurrinig only while turning, flexing, or turning while flexing? Or is it all the time?

it was all the time...now its only during a real sharp turn (like pulling into or out of a driveway) . Im actually gonna take it back into the garage and have em try to recenter the wheel in the wheel well, ive noticed the drivers side is slightly off centered...possible control arm came loose????

the off-centerdness is from the lift. your tracbar is what holds your axle centered. once you increase the angle, it has to move, so it shifts which ens up pulling your axle to the drivers sida a little. I think you would have noticed if a control arm came loose. Get on your back under the thing and look at it/grab and try to shake stuff. if anything is obviously loose that shouldn't be, then fix it. I don't know why you'd get rubbing all the time on only 31's. something's messed up. Is a piece of your fender liner or flare loose and drooping down hitting it? I might've said this earlier, but I had 31's on my XJ stock for a while, and it only rubbed under tight turning in the front. and over big bumps with a lot of weight it would rub in the back.

Back