• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler X Factor Steering Upgrade

FordGuy said:
How is the upper heim not going to bind and break? It looks like its directly on top with no proper spacer.
There is nothing to bind it,they only turn on their axis.Knuckle to knuckle will never change(its a live axle) !!

That looks kind of ghetto-fab to me. I suppose as long as it works....

RCP Phx said:
There is nothing to bind it,they only turn on their axis.Knuckle to knuckle will never change(its a live axle) !!

X2

The only problem i see is the major angle of the hiem on the drag link at the Knuckle. I love my Currie steering :)

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
Check it while it's in the air and adjust it for no bind and as little rubing as you can stand. The knuckles are not perfectly horizontal and the angle does change a little as you turn. After you get a handle on what works and what does not then try to adjust the heims so it has as little droop as posible without binding at all. This will keep the tie rod as high as posible and reduce the amount of bounce or flop in it. Don't tighten it all down till you get it right. Then mess with the drag link. You want the drag link off for the adjustment of the tie rod and remember no bind means no bind. A little bind means you will break it someday. Use a grinder and washers and do whatever it takes to get it to never bind. Binding is what broke the bracket on the old style and is the reason they provided ridiculously long extended steering stops. With some work you can get it right. Then it is stought and nice and I have never had a single problem after install. This thread convinced me to doube check it this morning and it's still like new. Did I mention to check for absolutly no binding? It should be free as a bird or it's binding. Now you get to fool with full droop on the passenger side and make sure you have no binding on the drag link. Take out you drivers side spring and to see what will happen on full stuff on the trail. Bind! Pop! Cuss! Trust me on tripple checking all this. The bind may be a maxed out joint on the pitman arm so droop it while its un hooked to see if it will still line up. Run a limiting strap on that side if it's a problem. It's a little extra work but you will be trouble free and learn to like the strengh and handling. Don't forget to set the toe and make sure you have your steering wheel centerd also. This will save you an alignment shop visit.

if you have problems call their tech line.. They will gladly answer any issues. As far as i know this is one of the better kits but i chose to do the rugged ridge setup, Going to move it over the knuckles but im waiting for a different pass side tre. :cool:

xalexjx said:
if you have problems call their tech line.. They will gladly answer any issues. As far as i know this is one of the better kits but i chose to do the rugged ridge setup, Going to move it over the knuckles but im waiting for a different pass side tre. :cool:

This isn't one of the better kits, and their tech dept isn't very helpful. There was only one guy(jeremy?) there that really knew the steering good and he seemed to be busy most of the time.

I run their long arms on my jeep also, and love them but this steering is really a bad setup.

xalexjx said:
Might as well be waiting on a 8.25 Aussie locker,It wont happen since there are no factory parts to be converted for the use!

Update: Rock Krawler X Factor Steering Upgrade

Well I put on the kit and here are my happenings, so to speak...

Parts impression;Mega SOLID tie rod, draglink and nice hardware.

The actual installation on the XJ; I'm not thrilled with that draglink under the tie rod on the passenger side. Just not logical to me. Didn't really like the handling either. So I moved the tie rod to the bottom of the knuckles, put the draglink on top of the knuckle with the misaligment washer. I am REALLY happy now!

Summary; For the money, you get the parts you need to build a wicked strong steering system. Just gotta tweak it! lol

Question: the spacer washers, I run one on the driver's side and not on the pass. This allows the tierod some play. If i run on each side there is no movement, or should i run no washers for full play? Do i want it tight with no play, or is play necessary for flexing? Current set-up: It handles awesome right now with about half the play of non washered heims. I suppose don't mess with what's working, but is there an option i should look at?

Pics at some point. lol -B

Re: Update: Rock Krawler X Factor Steering Upgrade

boomhauer said:
Well I put on the kit and here are my happenings, so to speak...

Parts impression;Mega SOLID tie rod, draglink and nice hardware.

The actual installation on the XJ; I'm not thrilled with that draglink under the tie rod on the passenger side. Just not logical to me. Didn't really like the handling either. So I moved the tie rod to the bottom of the knuckles, put the draglink on top of the knuckle with the misaligment washer. I am REALLY happy now!

Summary; For the money, you get the parts you need to build a wicked strong steering system. Just gotta tweak it! lol

Question: the spacer washers, I run one on the driver's side and not on the pass. This allows the tierod some play. If i run on each side there is no movement, or should i run no washers for full play? Do i want it tight with no play, or is play necessary for flexing? Current set-up: It handles awesome right now with about half the play of non washered heims. I suppose don't mess with what's working, but is there an option i should look at?

Pics at some point. lol -B

dosen't matter on tie rod being only right to left movement just better for articulation on the draglink for the axle droop. But tight is good being they will be good for turning the tires.
I'm making my own set up and will be running spacers/washeres on all my joints, and as well the setup will have the tie rod on the bottom of knuckle and the draglink alone on top of knuckle.

Re: Update: Rock Krawler X Factor Steering Upgrade

MiNi Beast said:
dosen't matter on tie rod being only right to left movement just better for articulation on the draglink for the axle droop. But tight is good being they will be good for turning the tires.
I'm making my own set up and will be running spacers/washeres on all my joints, and as well the setup will have the tie rod on the bottom of knuckle and the draglink alone on top of knuckle.

Perfect, that's what i wanted to know! Thanks.

Rock Krawler Set-up from instructions;

How I did it;

The steering is awesome now and haven't had my alignment yet either!
Sorry for the parking lot photos, the XJ's been in the garage for most of the winter getting worked on. Here's how she looks so far. Just finished patching the floor, still have to put in the Rock Hard cage, and vinyl flooring. The interior is bare save for the driver seat. -B

Well Rockkrawler is considered one of the better companys out there!They Designed it and built it to be installed per their design in order for it to work correctly and give the benefits it was marketed for(Full crossover and greater clearnce) and trackbar relocation not required.

RCP Phx said:
Well Rockkrawler is considered one of the better companys out there!They Designed it and built it to be installed per their design in order for it to work correctly and give the benefits it was marketed for(Full crossover and greater clearnce) and trackbar relocation not required.

I would rather have it like the above pictured setup, and relocate the track bar. The angle of that drag link is just scary.:scared: The more hoirrizontal, the better.

Bryson said:
I would rather have it like the above pictured setup, and relocate the track bar. The angle of that drag link is just scary.:scared: The more hoirrizontal, the better.
Why buy it then?
If you want an OTK set-up there are plenty of other excellent set-ups out therethat are designed for that exact purpose!And a hell of alot cheaper!

Cheaper and better, name one? Have you seen the Rock Krawler tie rod in person? It's 1.5" solid. The drag link is solid as well. OTK gained an inch for the tie rod. Big deal, all it does is leave your axle wide open. Basically the whole point of this exercise was to say that the Rock Krawler kit can be improved upon by running it this way without spending a ridiculous amount of cash. The T&T tracbar is perfect and doesn't need to be moved to the top as the angle's are great. You have to look a the mounting point, not where the bar bends in order to determine angle. -B

boomhauer said:
Cheaper and better, name one? Have you seen the Rock Krawler tie rod in person? It's 1.5" solid. The drag link is solid as well. OTK gained an inch for the tie rod. Big deal, all it does is leave your axle wide open. Basically the whole point of this exercise was to say that the Rock Krawler kit can be improved upon by running it this way without spending a ridiculous amount of cash. The T&T tracbar is perfect and doesn't need to be moved to the top as the angle's are great. You have to look a the mounting point, not where the bar bends in order to determine angle. -B

I agrees, I like it, but I would add a drop pit man arm. But yeah I'm building my own set up with 1.5 dom and adding a drop pitman arm and running all hiems even at the pitman arm and only running about $200 at most.

Back