• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Retractable Running Boards Question

Bville99gt

NAXJA Forum User
I really want to install some power running boards like the ones in the new escalade or the new navigators, Reason for doing this well my xj has a 6.5" lift and sometimes my girl need to drive it so that's the story, sorry but this are the best links I got. I know I'll have to cut and do some fab but I think it will be worth it since my xj is getting the jeep 2500 conversion done...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-E...ryZ33650QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and then adding a extension something like that this so that way it will got lower

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMP-...ryZ33650QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also notice the length of the board on the escalade is 79 1/2" and the length of the mounting bracket is 54 1/2" so the mounting brackets are good there however you will have to cut the actual runnig board to make it fit. I think i'll be doing this right after my xj gets out of the paint shop...

Good lord man those things are ridiculously priced! Seriously my handicapped ass can get into a Jeep with a 6.5 and 33's no problem! She'll be Alright! :D

Just put some JCR or AJ's Sliders on it. The ones with the tubes that stick out like the JCR stage2's or the AJ's superrails

What's the point of having 6 inches of lift, with all that shiat hanging under it?

I have seen where people took a length of chain, welded the 6" in the middle strait, and then hooked the ends to a slider. Now they have a step that knocks out of the way from obstacles

get some 2x4" steel rock rails that also function as a step and you will kill two birds with one stone. I have some 2x2" rock rails and while they aren't functional as step rails while entering the Jeep they do help when accessing the roof.

You'll laugh but I've seen women in fullsize trucks carry a step stool in the back seat so they can get in. It is crude but works...cheap and doesn't reduce ground clearance.

You'll laugh but I've seen women in fullsize trucks carry a step stool in the back seat so they can get in. It is crude but works...cheap and doesn't reduce ground clearance.

Hey i have Muscular Dystrophy. I have to have something to step on to get in to Jeeps and other big ass trucks. I'm not embarrassed to throw a step stool in! :D

I used to haul my mom around on occasion in an old Toyota (with 7" lift and 35s) so I took a metal milk crate, carpeted the top with I/Odoor carpet, tied a rope to it, and threw it in the back. She'd put it on the ground, step in while holding the rope, take a seat, and pull the crate on up!! (she's really really short). When we'de stop, I'd have to put the crate on the ground for her, but she drove the truck herself a few times and managed to toss it in the right spot to get out. Kinda funny really. I wish I had a digi-vid cam back.

take some measurements and contact these guys, they make aftermarket power steps for all kinds of applications, they might have something that matches up to the length of an XJ, or may be able to put something together for you.

http://www.amp-research.com/

hope this helps.

Just so you know, i used to install steps like these and they are a bitch to wire.

Well I got nothing to do i'm alway on my shop so i think it would be fun however I need to finish the conversion and the turbo install and then i'll be doing this project..Now I know who to pm LOL....:gee:

No problem dude, i like the theory of the retractable steps but they are a pita to install. Also what are you gonna do for wheeling cause they are not gonna take hits well.

In my experience of working on vehicles. It is just another thing to break. And, on a jeep? What if you are in deep water or mud? When you go to open the door, it will either move and possibly get caught on something.. or if the mud is thick enough it will hang up and burn out the motor trying to move itself.
In all reality, that is why you shouldn't let anyone else drive your vehicle. SO they cannot dictate what you should or shouldnt do to benefit them. That is just my .02

In my experience of working on vehicles. It is just another thing to break. And, on a jeep? What if you are in deep water or mud? When you go to open the door, it will either move and possibly get caught on something.. or if the mud is thick enough it will hang up and burn out the motor trying to move itself.
In all reality, that is why you shouldn't let anyone else drive your vehicle. SO they cannot dictate what you should or shouldnt do to benefit them. That is just my .02

ok then, setup a switch to shut down the steps for those situations. Or stay out of deep mud to your doorsills. Or make them manually retractable.
I let m wife drive my Jeep, however if I didn't, I'd still consider her when making mods to the Jeep. I actually enjoy spending time with my wife.

Back