• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help needed with nightmare XJ ABS to Non-ABS swap...

JBinNY

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this has been answered many times before. I'll continue to search the threads for answers. In the meantime here's my ABS to non-ABS swap issues:

I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (automatic, 4.0 6 Cylinder, 4 door, 4WD) with ABS (Bendix 9). I removed pretty much all of the ABS equipment from the engine bay. (I bought 2 Jeep ZJ booster/MC combinations from junkyards - both had issues - so both were RETURNED)...

OK, so I just bought a NEW (remanufactured) Cardone 54-73151 Vacuum Power Brake Booster and a BRAND NEW Dorman M390303 Brake Master Cylinder. I bench bled the MC and all brake lines. The right rear 1st then LR,RF,LF. Right Rear had a lot of air in the lines.

Below is an image of the original 1991 XJ proportioning valve I have paired with the new Booster and MC.

jeepxj_pv-jpg.4207471

***The brake pedal seems decent when the Jeep is off but when I turn it on the pedal gets soft. Also I hear a very slight vacuum leak that seems to be near the back of the booster.

<>Should the original PV valve work with this system? Do I have it plumbed correctly? There are no known leaks, MC remains topped off with soft pedal and Jeep running.

BTW I just ordered a brand new Brake Proportioning Valve replacement for Jeep Wrangler CJ XJ YJ Cherokee 1987-1996 PV8796J... in case the original PV is the culprit.

<> I don't know if this would effect things but I have not yet removed any ABS fuses.

Any advice or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
-jim

BTW, this same post is on other Jeep site(s)... so sorry if you're tired of seeing it. Just trying to get help to solve my Jeep brake issues.

Back