• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding a stroker after a dead cam (Long..)

Flash said:
I can sure understand.

you went with the comp 231 or 232?..........or did you put a MPP Cam in it?

Flash.

I ended up going with the Comp CL68-232-4 set up.

I thought about going back with the 231 because I liked it so much but this one has a bit less duration. Though it might raise my dynamic compression some.

Bones :skull:

Gil BullyKatz said:
Bones...

Wasn't yours built by (now defunct) Accurate?

Not a slam on them...

Just wondering.

I bought the parts from Accurate. Top shelf stuff. Mike knows his stuff. Several of the parts we did for my motor became some of Mike's special stroker stuff on his now AWOL web site. I wish he was still up and running, but he did things his way, not the cheap way. People started wanting a cheap stroker instead and he wasn't moving stuff as well as he wanted. It became more of a hassle than it was worth. I've called him a couple times since he closed down Accurate. He is still running his stealth blower set up, but I couldn't talk him out of his last custom blower intake. I'd love to install a supercharger under the hood and still keep my AC.

My problem with the first head was due to an inept local builder. The local place was supposed to be a specialty shop. B’tards left me with a damn big paper weight when the first head dropped two seats with 1700 miles on the motor and cost me a lot of lost time in Moab getting a new one built.

Bones :skull1:

Wow there is some good info being shared. However, now I am a little worried that I have been using Mobil 1 in my wifes stock 2004 WJ. I hope it is not an issue with stock valve springs.

I think I may find some stock valve springs when it comes time to break in the new cam on my stroker. I am having the machine shop check my springs for open and seated spring rates. I will try and take some pictures of the smooth spots on the 1 and 6 cylinder walls. Since I have to get new cam bearings I was also going to have the lifter bores checked and possibly honed.

Another question... Is the newer timing cover/cam retention system prefered? I need to get a timing cover and new chain, so what years offer the best solution for keeping the cam from walking?

How do I save the stroker excel file as a JPG so I can post it?

Thanks,

tealcherokee said:
do NOT run diesel oil

Diesel oil meets or beats every spec for stock or built motors. Got a bud who runs it in his 'Busa and that puppy has way more compression is used harder than most of the motors here. I've used it on all my bikes and every 4 wheeled vehicle I've got.

Sarge

Frank Z said:
Probably has roller lifters/rockers. If so it won't have the same problems as a flat tappet motor.

first off i fill that a stock flat tappet cam with stock valve spring pressure will not see the cam failure that the after market cams have seen!

Rob Patterson
If your wj has a v8 in it. threes not any problems, due to the Hyd roller cam in side!
If its a 4.0......in stock form, you should be fine with synthectic......but the cam fails when the lifter quit rotating in its bore as the eng run.

there need to be a little bit of friction(for lack of a better word) to make the lifter rotate.

I do not thing that any on with a stock cam and springs will have to worry bought this probem.............I my self have a stock 300,000 mile cam in mine.

Flash.

BBeach said:
Bones, so you're using diesel oil in you xj right now?
Yes I am. From now on it will be diesel oil only. For the fist dozen or so changes I'll be using Comp Cams break in lube as well to increase the zink et al.

Bones :skull1:

the biggest problem with diesel oil, around here, is finding it in a less than molasses weight. my zj before this had 204k miles on it, switched o mobil 1 at 95k.... 109k on mobil 1, no cam issues. maybe its the crane cams??

So would you recommend running diesel oil in a stock 4.0 even though the owners manual says such and such oil or better? Or is diesel considered better? What about instead of 5w30 to get maybe 10w40 in regular oil?

Are there any downsides to diesel oil? What if I'm a little rev happy. I dont need it working perfect at low to mid rpms but then fail me at upper rpms.

Downsides to diesel oil? It's cheaper so some folks claim it can't be as good. But it protects a motor that runs more miles than most of us. It gets used in some serious high rpm bikes with no problems so revs are no problem whatsoever. Only thing I can think of is finding the right grade locally, sometimes.

Sarge

If you mist frank's link, a couple back(On the first page of this thread) go back, and click on it............if you don't fill like reading, the hole thing,(It not the much reading!) then read the last paragraph! That will pretty much, cover it.

Crane is not the only cam manufacture that have had cams failures!!!!

EDIT O and by the way i use DELO 400 15/40 before all the cam failures i used castrol 10/30 winter and 20/50 summer.

Flash.

Last edited:
Back