• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper and Tire Carrier

Icemans

NAXJA Forum User
I have looked at multipal treads and I still can't seem to make up my mind so I thought I would post a new tread and see what you guy's think. So I have been looking at rear bumpers for the Cherokee because I need a place to hang my spare tire. I don't want to throw it on top and it doesn't fit inside will all the gear I bring. So I have been looking and want to see what you guys think of some choices that I have picked.

M.O.R.E.
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Bumper....ear_ Bumper.htm

C-ROK
http://www.c-rok.com/carrier.html

Rock Hard 4x4
http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/XJ-rearbumper.html

JCR
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merc....ct_Code=2XJRST4

So post up and tell me what you think. I am looking for functionality and looks combined in one. I really only need a carrier that will hold up to a 35" spare. and nothing else. All the other gear will go in the roof rack that will come later.

cross posted from Pistons Wild

Read more: http://pistonswildforum.proboards.c...ction=display&thread=821&page=1#ixzz15bmsfsSr

My money is on the jcr. It carrys the tire high lift and a jerry can. And the tire sits low enough you can see out the back window

I have the JCR. It's very nice, but I disagree about seeing out the back, and I only have a 32 on there. As it is, the rear wiper sweeps an area about 1" greater than the tire. With a 35, it would block somewhat more area than the rear wiper.
I schlep my kids to school in mine everyday, and I sweat bullets if there's a kid anywhere near the back of the Jeep.

I have the JCR. It's very nice, but I disagree about seeing out the back, and I only have a 32 on there. As it is, the rear wiper sweeps an area about 1" greater than the tire. With a 35, it would block somewhat more area than the rear wiper.
I schlep my kids to school in mine everyday, and I sweat bullets if there's a kid anywhere near the back of the Jeep.
That's good Info thank you. No matter what tire carrier I get Its going to block the rear window. I am worried about the hitting the ground when I drop off of big obstacles. Other than that I think the JCR is the one that I want. I don't want to pay that much but that’s what you get when you buy a good product. The other one that I really like is the M.O.R.E. bumper because I like the latch but it has no recovery points. All the bumpers mount really well so that’s not an issue for me. As it looks know I will be buying the JCR in the spring time unless I can get more info on the others.
I'm partial to the Detours Slimline, but it has made it to the top of my priorities list yet :|
http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbumper.php
The only reason the Detours is not on my list is because it mounts to the back of the bumper instead of on top of the bumper. The only one on my list that mounts to the back is the C-ROC and that because of it's high spare tire mounting. I don't really like the looks of it but it is functional. I just have a problem with the tire swing sitting that low and being susceptible to damage. That is the same reason I don't mount my High Lift on my front bumper. My dad just bent his because it caught a tree now he needs a new $70 jack. Thank you all for the info so far it's very helpful.:piratefla

Wonderful spindle, but it blocks the reverse light. Might be a problem to pass inspection for some. And as said before, the tire is mounted directly in the driver's line of sight. For me, it all has to come together in form & function. But that's just me. I'd suggest one that has the tire mounted on the driver side. That was my primary focus when I bought my Detours Slimline. I run 33s, soon to be 35 and I can see out the back. Call me a sissy, but with a flat fish-eye I can see everything out back, enough to back my XJ within inches of a vehicle behind me. I swear by it.
And of course it looks good as well, wrap-around & all.

Right after I got it mounted, even before I put the (optional) rear lights in.
firstimpression.jpg

Fully mounted & used. A thing of beauty.

See how much glass is left?
img2446x.jpg

img2447j.jpg

img2448u.jpg

img2451q.jpg

No, no really, I just can't post any more pics!
:D

Thoues are sweet light guards. Where you get em?

I got them as a raffle prize at NW Fest in '05 or '06 (I don't remember). They look cool but they got rubbed off at Evan's Creek. *pewf* Scrap :yelclap:

I think I'm going to get the JCR for a couple of reason's. It has the best hinge. It mounts on top of the bumper. It holds a Jerry Can and a High lift. It also has tow points. I really like the BPI fab bumper until I saw the price for $400 less I can get a great bumper from JCR. Thank you guy's for all the input. I am not going to buy this until Jan/Feb so keep the thoughts coming. I can change my mind until I order it. When I do I will post up the install and my thoughts on my new rear bumper.

I would recommend getting one with the tire mounted offset to one side or another. my biggest complaint about mine is not being able to see out the rear view for crap. On a daily driver you get used to driving with your side mirrors.

Here it is with a 35 mounted in the center and you can see how much window is being blocked.
pdt.jpg

I like the MORE bumper/carrier combo.
Paired with C-ROK's quarter panel armor would be great.

I went with C-ROK combo. Tire carrier is very solid but it
is a pain to remove the latch pin. I kinda like the carrier is
away from the bumber. If it ever happens that someone bumps
the back of my jeep, at most they would damage the tire carrier.

I would recommend getting one with the tire mounted offset to one side or another. my biggest complaint about mine is not being able to see out the rear view for crap. On a daily driver you get used to driving with your side mirrors.

Here it is with a 35 mounted in the center and you can see how much window is being blocked.
pdt.jpg

I like your cherokee it's very nice and clean. Is that an Olympic roof rack? If so do you like it? That is next on my list. I have there rock sliders and I love them.

I have the RockHard 4x4 one.. and for you guys saying the hinge on the others is the strongest i'd suggest you have closer look at this one. it's mounted to side of the bumper with an angled slide which i've used as boulder removers on multiple occasions.. the pin is at least 3/4 inch in diameter if not an inch and rides on two bearings providing a very nice smooth open/close. The stop pin is super tough too, on multiple occasions i've had someone open my swingaway with my 34 and a full jerry mounted and it swung open out of control and the pin stopped it and held it in place with no more than a loud bang as it stopped.

I've even had some goof stand on the latch side, again, with my 34 and full jerry on there, using it as a stool to hook up a tarp or something.. so ya it can hold weight.

it mounts to the stock bumper location as well as the stock hidden hitch mount. The side wrap around armour requires no trimming, although with 34s you should probably cut it a bit at the wheel well side (I rub going over bumps on the highway).. that armour will hold up to any abuse I've been able to throw at it, and that's been fairly substantial

Oh and it comes with a highlift mount, spare tire mount with the swing, with optional accessory mounts such as jerry can or rack or what have you, as seen in the 2nd pic (although these are generic and can probably mount on any 2x2 tubing) There's also an optional lighted license plate mount
pic from site:
014_14.jpg

063_63.jpg

Does anyone have the Durango rear with tire carrier? I have the one without the carrier and wanna see what it looks like. Id love to have a carrier built on it.

Back