• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's Go To The Rubicon

I hope you're planning some sort of tie-in to either the rollcage or bracing for the tailgate, because that seems like a lot of lever-arm on the metal holding that and the tire...

I added heavy duty aftermarket hinges with a full tailgate tie-in bracket. The hinges are tied into the roll cage as well.

Even still, I'll only carry camping stuff up there like sleeping bags, clothes, etc.

Hmmm, I do own a proper tow rig now.

Early June tends to still be wet and/or snow drifts. Maybe by 2022 global warming will change that, else late June may be better. A possibility would be like week of 6/27, and off the trail to start heading home before Independence Day weekend (and crowds) starts.

There are also I think a few Sierra chapter folks who have property or access to property and would be able to receive and store vehicles in the greater Sacramento area.

Fordyce Creek trail is nearby as well, much closer than JV, with similar terrain as Rubicon but the water crossings can be challenging or impassable with high early season flows.

Thanks. That's good information about the snow/ wet. I originally picked that date because it's shortly after memorial Day and figured people would be going for the long weekend and the next weekend would have less people.

This trail is on my bucket list. You’ve got my wheels turning now. I’d be interested in considering this once dates are set. I’d have to tow and I’m not sure what to think about getting my XJ back to Georgetown, as I’m a trail-only rig.

You guys gotta be hardcore. I live only a bit over 300 miles from Rubicon and Moab and haven't convinced myself to go to either.. guess I'm not much of a jeeper..

Either that or you’re just taking advantage of the numerous trails in the west that are closest to you. Even a 300 mile trip requires a little advance planning. The SEC does the Cherokee Crawl 300 miles from my house, and while I love that park, it’s not a place I’m going for a long weekend generally.

You guys gotta be hardcore. I live only a bit over 300 miles from Rubicon and Moab and haven't convinced myself to go to either.. guess I'm not much of a jeeper..
I live just outside of Chicago. Moab is 1400 miles away, and even the Crawl is 500 miles away. Both are well worth it, and I'll probably be headed out to the Rubicon this summer too as long as my feet are healed up with surgery, and Ive got the spare change to cover 4000 mile round trip. I was like you too, barely would drive 60 miles to drive a dinky little park. Then made a few friends, and 10,000 miles and whole lot of money later, here I am and wouldn't change a thing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I’d have to tow and I’m not sure what to think about getting my XJ back to Georgetown, as I’m a trail-only rig.

One option is to get there a day early and park your tow rig on the Tahoe side, then run the trail backwards to meet up with the group. The trail can easily be run in a day. There's free parking at the Tahoe/Tahoma side trail head. I've never parked my tow rig there but it seems pretty safe and secure.
https://goo.gl/maps/DuBwKPKk2H1cmXJv6

And to repeat what Phil said...closer to the trip and when you guys firm up the dates, hit up the Sierra Chapter folks for specifics. Some of those guys run the trail several times a year. And since you'll already be out here, definitely add Fordyce or Moab to the trip.

Either that or you’re just taking advantage of the numerous trails in the west that are closest to you. Even a 300 mile trip requires a little advance planning. The SEC does the Cherokee Crawl 300 miles from my house, and while I love that park, it’s not a place I’m going for a long weekend generally.

You are correct. Lots of USFS/BLM stuff out here, free to use and easy to find yourself alone.

One option is to get there a day early and park your tow rig on the Tahoe side, then run the trail backwards to meet up with the group. The trail can easily be run in a day. There's free parking at the Tahoe/Tahoma side trail head. I've never parked my tow rig there but it seems pretty safe and secure.
https://goo.gl/maps/DuBwKPKk2H1cmXJv6

And to repeat what Phil said...closer to the trip and when you guys firm up the dates, hit up the Sierra Chapter folks for specifics. Some of those guys run the trail several times a year. And since you'll already be out here, definitely add Fordyce or Moab to the trip.

For fear of getting too far into the weeds on a trip too far out, we could even grab the good Buck Island Lake camp site the day “before” the trip, and then run out to Loon on the “first” day and meet the group at the staging area or granite bowl. :smoker:

For fear of getting too far into the weeds on a trip too far out, we could even grab the good Buck Island Lake camp site the day “before” the trip, and then run out to Loon on the “first” day and meet the group at the staging area or granite bowl. :smoker:

Bueno idea, If I'm available I'll be up for that.

Hello All, If I may chime in from the Sierra Chapter.. Or if you all want to plan an August trip, join us for our Sierrafest typically in the second week of August and we'll plan 2022 to be the Rubicon, then over to Deer Valley Trail and Slick Rock trail as we did this year in 2020 and perhaps extend your trip to incorporate some Reno trails and/or Moab on the way to/from!

We have a solid showing from the SoCal chapter come up and on occasion some NorthWest chapter members who have come down, that'd be awesome to meet you all in person that week or even join in if you ultimately select other dates to come out as for most Sierra Chapter folks who live from Reno to Sacramento to the San Francisco area, the Rubicon and surrounding trails is ~3-4 hour drive at most.

I'm amazed at the response and enthusiasm here! Thanks to everyone, and we may have to tweak the date if it means having some experience from the West along!
Food for thought, there is time.
Rich

PS - independent of the dates you select whether or not they line up with the Sierra Chapter SierraFest or our May RenoFest (but I agree with what was said above, still high likelihood of a bit of snow at elevation in late May) I could put in an ask to my future father in law to let you all have your jeeps transported to the family ranch and they can sit here for a couple weeks ahead of your arrival if anyone does an auto transporter or get together to rent a full big rig load out, we'd have a place to park however many jeeps on a flat surface and safe from any unwanted public nuisances except the occasional cow or horse walking up for a sniff to see whats there. I'm ~35/40 miles east of San Francisco and you'd fly in to Oakland, San Francisco or San Jose airport and be ~3.5 hours drive from the Rubicon

Ehhh, don't be hard on yourself, we'll do it for you. :spin1:
But to your point:
No one got hard core over night. I was encouraged to "go west" after some campfire talk with some fellow northeasterners who had done it. Convinced my girlfriend (now my wife), to go along with the ridiculous idea that spending 3 days each way towing out and back from nj to Colorado, to be there 4 days of actual wheeling and sight seeing, was somehow a solid plan. However, neither of us had been there, let alone much west of Pennsylvania before. Had we used what I described above as the reason NOT to do it, we'd never go anywhere. My saying was, "if not now, when?". Its always easy to find a sound reason not to make a stretch.
But we did make that stretch.
And it was a border line religious experience. The crazy things we saw and did along the way, the people we met across this country, to say nothing of the wonderful people we shared camp and trails with while there, was worth all the planning, all the expense, all the silly stuff.
And perhaps you're not "there" yet, or don't feel the need. And that's ok. What I will leave you with is that for me and my wife, it was memorable enough that we are both better and happier people having done it. The things you'll see and experience, and the nice people you'll meet, it will change you in ways you can't imagine.
My 2 cents.

Well said.

It's far enough in the future for me to ponder and keep an eye on the thread for inspiration and see if I have the rig dialed in (probably ready now although on only 33s). Rubicon is a ride I'd like to try.. "if not now, when" is a definite.. I'll be 70 by then.. lol.

At any rate, I'll be watching. For those driving and/or towing, I'm about 300 east of Reno on I-80 so here for an assist if needed.
And maybe by then I'll be better acquainted with some of the locals and drag another XJ over to invade.

Rock on..

Back