• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Racing harness recommendations?

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I plan to start my cage build soon and I just ordered a pair of Corbeau Baja XP suspension seats. I've been looking at racing harness's and don't know if I should go with a 4 point or 5 point. The cherokee is still my DD and I drive it to the trail, so I don't want an uncomfortable harness.

Should I go with the latch style or camlocks?
Whats the best way to mount 4 and 5 point harness's?

I've been strapped in to only god knows how many safety harnesses and my by far favorite is my latest sabelt 6 point cam lock. Not only does it keep your nuts in tact, but when you need to get out, every second counts. When medics have to get you out, don't you want them to be able to easily see how to unlock you?

I have the belt in my summer DD.. The LSx powered Miata.

I have Crow 3" 5 points with sewn in pads. Excellent, very comfortable, and I'm glad I sprung the extra for the pads. I got the latch style as I was worried about dirt getting in the camlock.

Mounting is the big thing, make sure you do this correctly or the harness could do more harm than good.
http://www.crowenterprizes.com/Pages/Install.html

Camlocks are good for road racing but can be bad in the dirt, they can get full of mud or dirt and jam. Too bad, because they're really nice. Many off road race associations won't allow them. The brand doesn't matter, they're all basically the same. Five point is really good, if you want good protection. The sub belt does a lot to keep the lab belt in position low on your hips, otherwise the shoulder belts tend to pull the lap belt up out of the ideal/safest position. We wear five points every time we get in our buggies, no matter what, and I've never been uncomfortable, the sub belt simply holds the rest of the belts in position so they do their job right. There's a big difference in the feeling of security between five points and four points.

Camlocks are good for road racing but can be bad in the dirt, they can get full of mud or dirt and jam. Too bad, because they're really nice. Many off road race associations won't allow them. The brand doesn't matter, they're all basically the same. Five point is really good, if you want good protection. The sub belt does a lot to keep the lab belt in position low on your hips, otherwise the shoulder belts tend to pull the lap belt up out of the ideal/safest position. We wear five points every time we get in our buggies, no matter what, and I've never been uncomfortable, the sub belt simply holds the rest of the belts in position so they do their job right. There's a big difference in the feeling of security between five points and four points.

X2 on this information. Having been a race driver I also have used arm restraints and helmet restraints. If you off road where dust and mud could get on the harness then go with the latch instead of the cam. I prefer the 3" lap belt with 2" shoulder and sternum connection (keeps the shoulder belts where they are supposed to be). Be sure to attach all points correctly, with as straight a pull as possible.

Pull up or down is really going to depend on what seats you have and to your personal preference. I'd suggest finding someone local that has a set and try them for yourself.
Do you wheel with windows closed as well? I have doors and I know my interior gets quite dusty/dirty. I can understand the camlocks for a road/race car but I don't see the extra expense as necessary for an XJ.

Also Goatman brought up a good point. I tried my harness once without the sub belt and I'll never run without it again. The lab and shoulders just end up riding up your stomach. I strap in fully all the time, every time.

Last edited:
Pull up or pull down should be on the lap belts, not shoulder belts. I thought pull up lap belts would be good and so tried a set, but they were worthless with my seats. No room next to my hip to work the belt.

simpson... nuff said

I have these with the sewn in harness pads, I wouldn't go any other way.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Crow-3-H-Restraint-50-Belt-p-592.html

SeatHarness.jpg

Back