• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On the street...literally.

There are threads on here on how to adapt the 97+ doors i dont think its much work at all. you get the one piece window and the cleaner looking foldable mirrors. IMO this thing needs a 97+ facelift :D

I vote for 97+ doors, but a quad waggy front clip. :cheers:

Just suicide the back doors, cut out the B pillair and it'll be all good

HAHA YES! I am very realisticly considering that but lambo hinges all around too. There is no room for suicide hinges on the rear with the wheels stuffed up there.

Progress yes, but its all boring pic progress lol. Brakes, brake lines, custom power steering lines, brake brackets. I will wait to finish some more of the floors and post the small item pics then :p

HAHA YES! I am very realisticly considering that but lambo hinges all around too. There is no room for suicide hinges on the rear with the wheels stuffed up there.

Progress yes, but its all boring pic progress lol. Brakes, brake lines, custom power steering lines, brake brackets. I will wait to finish some more of the floors and post the small item pics then :p

Wouldn't the rear doors have to hinge off something else besides the wheel well to stay perpendicular anyway?

Yes thats why I wouldn't do just suicides. Theres no way to make the rear doors perpendicular and suicide, the hinges would have to move the door up.

I got bored before work today so I did a little fab.

Photo0239.jpg

Photo0245.jpg

And then I had a nap and woke up too early before my shifts starts so I did some more hahaha

Photo0247.jpg

Photo0248.jpg

Above is the "valley" where I will be mounting the compressors. You can get the idea of the look from the panel tabs in front of the cell plate.

I need some input here, do you think I should make some sunken storage spots behind the rear wheels...right here...

Photo0246.jpg

I can't decide if it would be worth it or not.

And heres the front brakes complete. Sorry if I already post the brakes...I have many threads on many forums that I update randomly :brickwall:

Photo0242.jpg

Yes I need to clean and paint the booster lol

Photo0241.jpg

Photo0243.jpg

My Jeep ate another drill, otherwise I would have had more work done :mad:

Hmmmm.... suiciding the rear doors and eliminating the b pillar's got me thinking about looking into it. It wouldn't work on you typical XJ but then I am not building the typical XJ only problem I forsee would be by eliminating the B pillar how to seal off the now rather large air gap that was created.

Hmmmm.... suiciding the rear doors and eliminating the b pillar's got me thinking about looking into it. It wouldn't work on you typical XJ but then I am not building the typical XJ only problem I forsee would be by eliminating the B pillar how to seal off the now rather large air gap that was created.

I was planning it like a crew cab pickup rear door. Make an inner channel extension on the rear door and latch it to the floor and then have the front door latch to the extension tab. So you would have to open the front doors first to open the rear doors. Like the doors of a Ford Ranger.

i was thinking the same thing if you use latches from the rear doors on a van. you could get away with a sill latch. i know on the astros they have a hook on the roof. but i cant remember if it was part of the latching system.

Wonder if you could just attach the B pillar to the rear doors and have a latch on the bottom. That way the rear door can only be opened when the front's are and the latch for the front door would already be aligned on the back doors if they're just attached to the B-pillar. That would eliminate the b-pillar entirely and then it would just be one big open area. HMMM..... all these idea's and I'm in VA for the next week where I can't even look out the window to see the project and envision it.

the B pillar is a major structural part of the unibody, if you cut it out you'll lose most of the structural integrity of the roof area.

That may be on XJ's but when you're building a 4 door MJ not sure about that. I'm not worried about the lower rockers as they're getting replaced with 2x4 .120 box tube. As much other work that's been done I'm sure I could figure out a way to reinforce the roof to allow for it, maybe some flat stock 3/16" thick welded to the inside of the roof area under the headliner for stiffening. Right now it's just a thought but one that I would like to possibly persue for the quad cab.

I got bored from playing Modern Warfare 3, so I was in the garage a little bit today.

I have most of the back floors done. Pics. Final fitment isn't done, I still have to tweak some of them and weld them in, but they all fit nice and snug when they're all together in place.

Started with this:

Photo0251.jpg

Then it went in and welded:

Photo0252.jpg

Then I did the side wings:

Photo0256.jpg

Photo0255.jpg

Finally I did the front face panel that will be under the air tank:

Photo0257.jpg

Photo0258.jpg

Now you can finally see where the compressors willl go and the shape of the rear.

CHEERS! Back to CoD!!

Considering you still have 3 more pilliars like a 2dr xj, shouldn't be an issue. Also I was gonna say it's not a unibody anymore but it actually still is haha.

yeah it still sorta a unibody but it has a full frame in it now. its a little different. i think it would be fine with out the b pillar. its also a street jeep so trail flex is not going to be there to really tweak things. compare it to a drop top Lincoln continental this jeep has more frame and that thing and it is longer and the b piller is only there for the latches

http://www.streetdreamsbyross.com/hinges_suicide.php

Here's a site among many that sell suicide hinges. These are supposed to be designed strong enough to put one in the middle of the door and be able to support the entire door from that one hinge. Could be a viable option for XJ's to mount it on the rear doors right above the wheel well.

hinge.jpg

There's a closeup of the hinges from there rear door install document. Looks like it's on a pretty sizable hinge pin.

lgemtopclosed_400.jpg

There's a closer pic of the other hinges and it looks like a pin in it on the far left, possibly welded in.

Back