• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 sensor won't budge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing, stop with the excuses, there are men AND women, ranging from 15-99 years old working on these, I know a girl who's 19 and she's already added a 4" lift to her jeep and added a bumper and she ain't big, she's a twig lol and another who's only 16 and he's changed his o2 sensor and o ring on the oil filter adapter with no problem and this is his first vehicle. You can't say you have to have fancy tools or high prices ones because as I've said earlier, I changed my o2 sensor out with a crummy Walmart tool set. Stop trying to blame everything and everybody else as to why you can't do this, only person you can blame is yourself and that's because you won't think for yourself or just take initiative to do it.

Bimmer,

I'm old and can't kneel down much anymore because of a bum knee gift I got in Vietnam. However, I can still get around and under my XJ and do light chit without crying. I can't stand cry babies.

When it comes time to farm work out I do it. Not long ago I couldn't get the 129K + miles O2S's out to save my arse so I took the Heep to a muffler shop and had them do it. $35 each. Maybe you should consider doing the same and dummy up.

Can you even read? I did take initiative to do it. I've been under the XJ for the last 5 days in a row either soaking it in PB or trying the O2 socket with a breaker bar. I'm glad your O2 sensor came out. For me, it didn't come out. I said I don't have a 22mm wrench. Do you? Basic toolsets don't come with a 22mm wrench.

$1000 worth of basic tools means a floor jack, a complete socket set, torx bits, hex bits, u-adapters, a few toolboxes, torque wrench, hanging lights, chocks, door trim pullers, drill, pliers, vice grips, etc. This does not include bench vices, angle grinders, engine cranes, blowtorches, air hammers, and other stuff that is required to work on XJs. Why? B/c normal cars don't really need this next level stuff in order to be maintained. Do you have a 22mm wrench? I bet you don't. I've never needed one. Why? Because basic mechanical work doesn't require this type of tool. O2 sensors usually come out with an O2 socket. That's why they make them. Next time an O2 sensor doesn't come out b/c you're lucky, you'll be shit out of luck as well.

Do you even understand my point? I am saying you can spend upwards of $1000 on tools to do basic maintenance on your cars, and never yet own the kind of industrial grade equipment that XJ's require. I'm pointing out the bullshit artists on these forums like you who claim to work on XJ's with nothing more than a $25 toolset. They are full of crap, plain and simple. And you changing your stupid O2 sensor doesn't negate this reality. Get it? If YOUR O2 sensor was frozen solid, trust me, you don't have the resources to work on these cars either. So, instead of yapping your mouth, you might learn something by listening. If you don't have a bench vice, angle grinders, engine cranes, blowtorches, air hammers, then please shut up about doing all this work on XJ's with your $25 socket set. You and your little $25 ratchet set will hit the limits as soon as you venture beyond changing an air filter.

I'll also call bullshit on your 16 year old friend who changed his OFA o-ring. I believe he did it, but you're telling me no one helped him? Who even told him what he needed to do? He just knew even though he only learned to drive 3 months ago? You're telling me he didn't use his dad's tools? You're telling me this kid has his own angle grinder which he used to grind off a T60 bit? Which means he has a bench vice. Where, in his frickin' bedroom? No, let me guess, in his 2 car garage. Your $25 socket set doesn't come with a full set of wrenches, does it? Where did he get those? Oh, and where did he get a large breaker bar? Wow, pretty damn impressive for a kid making $8/hr while still in 10th grade. Your story is full of crap b/c you omit the fact that he's using his dad's tools that have been amassed over a lifetime. And did he cut that T60 bit, or did his dad do it for him? If anyone else was involved, please shut up with your bullshit about "even a 16 year old can do this" No, he can't, unless he's pre-equipped with his gearhead mechanic dad, and his 10,000 garage set up, b/c no 16 year old can afford a bench vice, angle grinder, and XJ in the first place to do an OFA job.

The only worthwhile thing you've said is that I can't automatically figure these things out for myself. That I agree with. This stuff is very hard to do. That is why mechanics can charge $250 for 15 mins. worth of work. You think this is an accident? Use your brain and try to figure out why a high school dropout can effectively charge people $500/hr (after netting parts markup and shop book hours manipulation) for work that is supposedly so simple. You know who else makes $500/hr? Surgeons. You know what's simple? Mopping a floor. Cooking a hamburger. Scanning a price tag. Ripping a ticket stub. You know anyone doing that making $250 in 15 mins? Yea, didn't think so.

Last edited:
If I dont have what I need to finish a job there are a few.options
harborfreight
Bribe a friend (beer/pizza, past or future assistance)
take it somewhere. My muffler guy charges $20 cash for whatever I need. Heck one time ge saw I was missing a trans mount bolt, and threw one in for me.

I didnt make any friends by whining about how its too hard. I did my best, and helped others when I could. Look into taking an auto repair course at your local CC. They will have the patience to spoonfeed you through this stuff

LOL!
I may have $700 worth of mechanic's tools. There is not a single repair i haven't done on a car. and that includes engine and transmission rebuilds.

Can you even read? I did take initiative to do it. I've been under the XJ for the last 5 days in a row either soaking it in PB or trying the O2 socket with a breaker bar. I'm glad your O2 sensor came out. For me, it didn't come out. I said I don't have a 22mm wrench. Do you? Basic toolsets don't come with a 22mm wrench.

$1000 worth of basic tools means a floor jack, a complete socket set, torx bits, hex bits, u-adapters, a few toolboxes, torque wrench, hanging lights, chocks, door trim pullers, drill, pliers, vice grips, etc. This does not include bench vices, angle grinders, engine cranes, blowtorches, air hammers, and other stuff that is required to work on XJs. Why? B/c normal cars don't really need this next level stuff in order to be maintained. Do you have a 22mm wrench? I bet you don't. I've never needed one. Why? B/c the O2 sensors usually come out with an O2 socket. That's why they make them. Next time an O2 sensor doesn't come out b/c you're lucky, you'll be shit out of luck as well.

Do you even understand my point? I am saying you can spend upwards of $1000 on tools to do basic maintenance on your cars, and never yet own the kind of industrial grade equipment that XJ's require. I'm pointing out the bullshit artists on these forums like you who claim to work on XJ's with nothing more than a $25 toolset. They are full of crap, plain and simple. And you changing your stupid O2 sensor doesn't negate this reality. Get it? If YOUR O2 sensor was frozen solid, trust me, you don't have the resources to work on these cars either. So, instead of yapping your mouth, you might learn something by listening. If you don't have a bench vice, angle grinders, engine cranes, blowtorches, air hammers, then please shut up about doing all this work on XJ's with your $25 socket set. You and your little $25 ratchet set will hit the limits as soon as you venture beyond changing a spark plug.

I'll also call bullshit on your 16 year old friend who changed his OFA o-ring. You're telling me no one helped him? You're telling me he didn't use his dad's tools? You're telling me this kid has his own angle grinder which he used to grind off a T60 bit? Which means he has a bench vice. Where, in his bedroom? No, let me guess, in his 2 car garage. Wow, pretty damn impressive for a kid making $8/hr while still in 10th grade. Your story is full of crap b/c you omit the fact that he's using his dad's tools that have been amassed over a lifetime. And did he cut that T60 bit, or did his dad do it for him? If anyone else was involved, please shut up with your bullshit about "even a 16 year old can do this" No, he can't. uUnless he's equipped with his dad's $10,000 garage set up.
So much for being civil lol
Well here it goes: no he doesn't have his dads tools because his dad doesn't have tools. His dad is a slouch, what he used was my $25 set and maybe $10 for an actual torch set to use with it. No need to grind it, no need for a bench. I showed him this site and others and told him to read. After that I stood by and watched. If he needed help, I'd show him, none if the work was done by me. All of it was done by him and his determination.

You think my o2 came out easy? Did you not read I had to kick the bar to turn it? Sure doesn't sound like it was easy for me but the difference between you and I is that I have determination and don't whine, I just push through till the job is done and ask for pointers NOT the entire procedure, just pointers.
All your doing is making up excuses, its as simple as that. You think everyone else has it easy doing these tasks? I can bet you $100 there are more people out there that had it difficult than easy but as I said the difference between them and you and I, they and I worked out problem instead of quitting like a pu**y unlike you. Again you can only blame so many people before your going to realize its been you all along, hell you might already know this and that's why your lashing out and arguing.

Keep making excuses, your just making yourself look more and more dumb and pathetic

holy crap...lol...unplug that o2 at the harness and slip a real wrench over it ...or since you're replacing it just clip the wires , But please put a real wrench over that so real torque can be applied ...lol...that shatty wrench is also making you apply your twist at an angle with that socket set up ... I did my removal cold last time and it would not budge I rolled the edges of the nut on the o2 plug , So I used a wrench and a huge set of vice grips, which still was rolling the nuts edges , So I was going to use a propane torch ,but those little propane ones are not likekly to put anymore heat into that tube than...simply running the engine...So I ran the engine for about 10 minutes and hit the sensor at the bung to penetrate the threads with PB blaster while running ...be carefull spraying PB blaster on hot exhaust ,which means do not look at it or be under the dripping pb ...I was able to get it off even after f'ing up the nuts egdes ...If I had ran it first with a bit of PB or even just WD-40 I would never rolled the nuts edges .

LOL!
I may have $700 worth of mechanic's tools. There is not a single repair i haven't done on a car. and that includes engine and transmission rebuilds.

That's because you went out and just did it instead of whining on a Jeep forum. Imagine that. I'll bet you didn't need a tutorial, with photos and videos of course, on how to operate and postion a floor jack either.

Where are you bringing your vehicles that you pay $250mine an hour? Stop pulling random shit out of your ass.
As for tools, you buy them as you need them. Nobody starts out with everything they need. If your not willing to invest in the tools, pay someone who has. That being said, every job i have seen you post about can be done with baisic tools. You are correct that basic tool kits dont have a 22mm4 wrench, but they usually do have a 7/8.. and before you go and whine about your precious busted manure wagon. Not needing special tools, how about those lovely tripple square bolts the nazis are so fond of,? Nothing feeld better than spending $350 on a socket set to fix vehicles i wholeheartedly believe need to be sent to the crusher.

$1000 worth of basic tools means a floor jack, a complete socket set, torx bits, hex bits, u-adapters, a few toolboxes, torque wrench, hanging lights, chocks, door trim pullers, drill, pliers, vice grips, etc. This does not include bench vices, angle grinders, engine cranes, blowtorches, air hammers, and other stuff that is required to work on XJs. Why? B/c normal cars don't really need this next level stuff in order to be maintained. Do you have a 22mm wrench? I bet you don't. I've never needed one. Why? Because basic mechanical work doesn't require this type of tool. O2 sensors usually come out with an O2 socket. That's why they make them. Next time an O2 sensor doesn't come out b/c you're lucky, you'll be shit out of luck as well.

Do you even understand my point? I am saying you can spend upwards of $1000 on tools to do basic maintenance on your cars, and never yet own the kind of industrial grade equipment that XJ's require. I'm pointing out the bullshit artists on these forums like you who claim to work on XJ's with nothing more than a $25 toolset. They are full of crap, plain and simple. And you changing your stupid O2 sensor doesn't negate this reality. Get it? If YOUR O2 sensor was frozen solid, trust me, you don't have the resources to work on these cars either. So, instead of yapping your mouth, you might learn something by listening. If you don't have a bench vice, angle grinders, engine cranes, blowtorches, air hammers, then please shut up about doing all this work on XJ's with your $25 socket set. You and your little $25 ratchet set will hit the limits as soon as you venture beyond changing an air filter.

I'll also call bullshit on your 16 year old friend who changed his OFA o-ring. I believe he did it, but you're telling me no one helped him? Who even told him what he needed to do? He just knew even though he only learned to drive 3 months ago? You're telling me he didn't use his dad's tools? You're telling me this kid has his own angle grinder which he used to grind off a T60 bit? Which means he has a bench vice. Where, in his frickin' bedroom? No, let me guess, in his 2 car garage. Your $25 socket set doesn't come with a full set of wrenches, does it? Where did he get those? Oh, and where did he get a large breaker bar? Wow, pretty damn impressive for a kid making $8/hr while still in 10th grade. Your story is full of crap b/c you omit the fact that he's using his dad's tools that have been amassed over a lifetime. And did he cut that T60 bit, or did his dad do it for him? If anyone else was involved, please shut up with your bullshit about "even a 16 year old can do this" No, he can't, unless he's pre-equipped with his gearhead mechanic dad, and his 10,000 garage set up, b/c no 16 year old can afford a bench vice, angle grinder, and XJ in the first place to do an OFA job.

The only worthwhile thing you've said is that I can't automatically figure these things out for myself. That I agree with. This stuff is very hard to do. That is why mechanics can charge $250 for 15 mins. worth of work. You think this is an accident? Use your brain and try to figure out why a high school dropout can effectively charge people $500/hr (after netting parts markup and shop book hours manipulation) for work that is supposedly so simple. You know who else makes $500/hr? Surgeons. You know what's simple? Mopping a floor. Cooking a hamburger. Scanning a price tag. Ripping a ticket stub. You know anyone doing that making $250 in 15 mins? Yea, didn't think so.

crybaby.gif

That's because you went out and just did it instead of whining on a Jeep forum. Imagine that. I'll bet you didn't need a tutorial, with photos and videos of course, on how to operate and postion a floor jack either.

Of course! He just spontaneously figured out how to rebuild an engine and tranny just by looking at it! You really think any here believes that? Ask him who showed him how to do that stuff. Ask him whose tools he borrowed. Trust me, he did not learn this in a vacuum. Surely, you can't be that dumb.

So much for being civil lol

You back up your position that this stuff is sooooo easy.....by saying even a 16 year old can do the OFA o-rings. I called bullshit on your giving half the story. So, I asked you how did he grind his own T60 bit? You avoided the question, so I'm asking again. How did he grind his own T60 bit? Does this 16 year old own an angle grinder and bench vice in his bedroom? There is no chance in hell a 16 year old is doing an OFA o-ring job on an XJ without some major assistance from expert friends or relatives, and their tools. So spare me your "even a 16 year old can do this". Yea, if I knew people with grinders, blow torches, and lifts, I wouldn't be on this forum. I'd just ask them. Just like you're friend did. So, please learn the difference between apples and oranges.

Last edited:
. Not needing special tools, how about those lovely tripple square bolts the nazis are so fond of,? Nothing feeld better than spending $350 on a socket set to fix vehicles i wholeheartedly believe need to be sent to the crusher.
Ha!!!! Bummer jeep I think you just got owned lol oh wait he switched to Hondas now since the beamers got proven to be more difficult lol

Pretty sure all I needed when I changed out my sensor was a breaker bar, deep socket, and a torch. And I did this all on my back, stock height jeep, not jacked up. I'm 190lbs, 5'11", all weight in height and fat. I have no muscles. I use my breaker bar to loosen oil drain plugs cause I'm too weak to loosen it with a regular wrench or ratchet. But if I managed to loosen it, granted I lifted my whole body off the ground and then some, you can too.

Of course! He just spontaneously figured out how to rebuild an engine and tranny just by looking at it! You really think any here believes that? Ask him who showed him how to do that stuff. Ask him whose tools he borrowed. Trust me, he did not learn this in a vacuum. Surely, you can't be that dumb.

You back up your position that this stuff is sooooo easy.....by saying even a 16 year old can do the OFA o-rings. I called bullshit on your giving half the story. So, I asked you how did he grind his own T60 bit? You avoided the question, so I'm asking again. How did he grind his own T60 bit? Does this 16 year old own an angle grinder and bench vice in his bedroom? There is no chance in hell a 16 year old is doing an OFA o-ring job on an XJ without some major assistance from expert friends or relatives, and their tools. So spare me your "even a 16 year old can do this". Yea, if I knew people with grinders, blow torches, and lifts, I wouldn't be on this forum. I'd just ask them. Just like you're friend did. So, please learn the difference between apples and oranges.
you are 100% correct. That 16the year old could never have rebuilt an engine. There is no way he could have afforded a $207/8 chiltons manual.
As far as making his own t60 bit, here is a wild and crazy idea, maybe he used a hacksaw. Or is that on your list of incredibly expensive tools only top level techs have?

Did you not read what I wrote? There was no need for grinders or bench vice because he used a regular torch bit. Had the bevel and all. And I'm no expert and I was the only one standing by watching. It's called getting ghetto and working with what ya got and making it work. No need for special tools, no need for a vise or grinder, just patience, determination, and a little bit of brain power, which you seem to lack all three.....

Where are you bringing your vehicles that you pay $250mine an hour? .

Let me give this forum a huge reality check. You know how the dealer prices are crazy? Did it even occur to you that these prices don't just exist to make you feel smug about your wrenching hobby? Yea, in certain parts of the country, people actually take their car to the dealer. Maybe even in your town. Do you think all these dealerships with insane prices just sit there empty? No. These places actually have customers! Do you know I tried to take one of my cars to a dealer, and they gave me an appointment 3 weeks in the future? Think about that for a second. Not everyone thinks a dealership is a place where they sell $2 screws at the parts counter, along with an imaginary service dept that is make believe. Did you know there are people who actually buy new cars? I know, crazy. There is a whole 'nother world out there. Most people won't take their car to anywhere but the dealer. A select few take their car to some indy grease monkey for half the cost of a dealer. But, most prefer not to. Do you know that when I tell friends I took my car to a mechanic, they look at me like I'm crazy? Many people don't even know people other than the dealership can actually fix their car! Then, you get to the 1% who can actually change their own air filter.

So, where do I get this number? Let's use a single example. A dealer charges $400 for a new starter. What's a starter cost? $75? So, that's $325 to replace a starter. For a n00b, it will take 1-2 hours. Something always goes wrong. But, for a pro mechanic, it will take 12 mins. So, he is billing $325 for 12 mins. of work. Do the math. That's $1600 for an hour of work. Did I say that is what the mechanic takes home? No, I didn't say that. I am talking about what people are paying for. I am not counting overhead. I am counting what people are paying for work. They are paying $325 for 12 mins. of work. They are paying $1600 for 1 hour's work. Is this was soooooooo simple, would people pay $1600 for an hour's worth of work? I'll let you answer that. Shop rates are $125/hr. Starter gets 1.5 book hours. In theory, you could replace 4 starters in an hour. That's 6 book hours. That's $750 billed for that hour of labor. Is that profit? No. But are people paying $750 for an hour worth of work? Yes. Now, tell me all the other stuff that is soooooo easy and people are paying $750 for an hours worth of that skill. I'm waiting.

Last edited:
Did you not read what I wrote? There was no need for grinders or bench vice because he used a regular torch bit. Had the bevel and all. And I'm no expert and I was the only one standing by watching. It's called getting ghetto and working with what ya got and making it work. No need for special tools, no need for a vise or grinder, just patience, determination, and a little bit of brain power, which you seem to lack all three.....

What the hell is a torch bit? Are you talking about the O2 sensor or the OFA o-ring. Please explain what Torx bit he used that did not need cutting. There is a 10 page thread on NAXJA where dozens of XJ veterans offered all sorts of solutions involving hammering out bits in a bench vice, and using a cutting disk to saw the termpered T60, jacking the XJ up on a lift....yet using a "regular torch bit" was barely mentioned. Can you post a photo of this magic torx bit that your friend used? If so, your friend might be a genius mechanic better than this entire forum combined!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back