• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 sensor won't budge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also caution all of you to stop giving this fool any more advice.

Particularly anything that could be potentially dangerous, like something as simple as jacking a car up off the ground.

He/she is the type of person that would most likely sue you if he/she follows your advice and gets injured or maimed...

BMW sensor is accessed from the engine bay, right at the start of the exhaust manifold.
Came right out after 125k. Perfect car for non-mechanics and kids learning to work on cars.

Actually, I spent a few hours researching how to jack up an XJ, but even this is more complex than a normal car. I got busy and have forgot to follow up on that.
In a normal car like a BMW or Nissan, you just jack up from the center jack block, and stick the jack stands on the rocker panel jack point. Easy peasy...

On XJ's, it's a different story. Rather, 100 different stories. There is no jack block, so now it gets complicated (and dangerous!)

From what I understand, the best way is to jack up the front ...is using the axle tube and then putting jack stands at the jack point area behind the front rocker area.
However, I really don't feel safe jacking up a cylindrical axle on a flat jack plate. Car can just roll off while jacking it up. Screw that.
Do you need a special jack adapter to jack up a round surface?

The other method would be to jack up the car at the side jack point area.
But, that would leave no room to place the jack stand, b/c the jack is already in the way in the jack point area.

The 3rd way, you can jack from the side jack point and use the jack stands on the axle itself.
There is no way in hell I am resting the entire car on the rounded axles, then getting under the car and yanking on the car with a breaker bar.
Car could roll right off! I might look into buying new jack stands that have some sort of deep "U" shape that I can put sideways and rest the axle properly across.

Can anyone advise the right method? Until I figure out how to jack up an XJ, anything involving jacking the XJ will be sent right to a qualified professional with a lift, where it belongs! Better safe than sorry.
Maybe there is a write up with pictures out there, but I doubt it. That's why it really pays to learn this stuff in a trade school or with some wacky uncle this has done this crap for 50 years.
Is this guy really serious? This really isnt that complicated. The jeep is not going to roll off the jack. I did a damn lift kit without any real prior mechanical experience outside of changing a muffler and this vehicle is beyond simple.

Oh! That explains why I have been reading more in the advanced fab section lately.

But you have been missing all the mud slinging entertainment?:laugh3:

I would agree but there's so much tech in here about how to change an O2 sensor and jacking up a jeep, and an example made of what noobs shouldn't strive to be that it should be made a sticky instead.

I want to see someone jack up a 10+ year-old XJ (especially in the Rust Belt) by the rockers. His next thread will be 'How do I replace rocker panels?'

Look under the back seat at the jack, and the pictures of how to jack up the vehicle. Should be self explanatory!

Gotta go get another cup o' coffee. Just sprayed the last one all over the monitor...

Gotta go get another cup o' coffee. Just sprayed the last one all over the monitor...

OK, I am going to post a disclaimer on this thread now.

"Do not DRINK and READ this thread!!!!"

"You have been warned"

LMAO!!

He would spend the first 2 pages of posts on how to turn on a computer, then another 2 pages on how to work a mouse, and fabricate 25 reasons why he can't...

You can LOL all you want, but that attention to detail is exactly what got me into the 5%. Not by winging it, or producing products with huge amounts of relevant details missing (and not even knowing it)

After 4 days of getting under the XJ to soak the O2 with PB, I drove for about 30 minutes and got home and immed. sprayed the O2 with more PB and tried to remove it while hot with a longer 1/2" drive socket with adapter.
Wouldn't move. Done with this crap. Taking it to the mechanic and paying him $300 like he deserves to replace this thing.

I agree this thread is a great lesson to all n00bs. N00bs, XJ's are nothing like Hondas, and require industrial grade set of tools and professional ASE experience to work on. Oil filter adapter? Hope you have an angle grinder and bench vice to make your own tools. Shocks? Hope you have an air compressor to chisel out welds. O2 sensor? Hope you have a blowtorch. Oh, and PB Blaster doesn't do jack. It's snake oil. Save your money. The thread also serves to remind veteran gearheads just how challenging auto mechanics is. Don't agree? Well maybe you can think about why 99% of people can't even open their hood and change an air filter, and why mechanics make $150 in 12 mins.

Last edited:
You can LOL all you want, but that attention to detail is exactly what got me into the 3%. Not by winging it, or producing work that has huge amounts of important details missing (and not even knowing it)
2ed9109e31f58e9cfd1389b6b14bcf7660.png

Wouldn't move. Done with this crap. Taking it to the mechanic and paying him $300 like he deserves to replace this thing. Lesson to all n00bs, don't even THINK about removing the O2 on an XJ without a blowtorch. These cars are nothing like Hondas, and require industrial grade set of tools and professional experience to work on.
Bullshit.
My jeep is 23 years old, has spent its life in Michigan/IL. Had 238k on it and never had the oxygen sensor changed from what I could tell.
A week of PB and heat/cool cycles, a bigass wrench, and some balls got it out. I think I had to kick the wrench, and it broke loose.
Its not a hard job... You just dont have the balls to do it and would rather spend unnecessary money. If my 140lb ass can get it broke loose, I think most people can...

Last edited:
These cars are nothing like Hondas, and require industrial grade set of tools and professional experience to work on.

You're right! These beasts were designed 30+ years ago! Most Honda models have been through six or more generations since then. I've often mused that it's a good thing Jeeps are easy to work on, 'cause you've got to do it so often! Honestly, owing to the fact that they consist mainly of two live axles hanging under a simple body, they're very primitive and unsophisticated compared to today's average passenger vehicles. And, because the original concept has stood the test of time, they remain viable thirty years on. Just about anything that will go wrong in a street-driven Jeep is the same stuff that will go wrong on any vehicle. The parts that make a Jeep a Jeep are some of the best parts ever made...Reliable engine, bullet-proof tranny, the list goes on. Later additions, like emission sensors, etc., are shared with ALL vehicles, and thus are no more or less reliable, or difficult to service.

Websites like this are a great tool, full of useful info (especially NAXJA). Probably the most knowledgeable and user-friendly site on the web. But, the interface between the screen and the other end of the wrench or screwdriver is the one piece of the puzzle that no one here can control. That comes from within the user, a desire to affect the outcome. Skinned knuckles, and a little spilled blood are the price for a hopefully satisfying result. Any good mechanic has people lined up, waiting to contribute money for a service they're either too unskilled or time-pressed to perform. Like most on this forum, I have an interest in things mechanical, and get satisfaction from a job completed.

Find a place to perform your repairs, a decent selection of tools, and get out there and do it. Don't be afraid to take night classes, or possibly some courses at a community college. But, first, you must show the aptitude and desire to deal with mechanical items, or quit whining and get in line with the rest of the people with more money than time or aptitude, and most of the folks on sites such as this will be more than happy to Hoover out your pockets.

You can LOL all you want, but that attention to detail is exactly what got me into the 5%. Not by winging it, or producing products with huge amounts of relevant details missing (and not even knowing it)

After 4 days of getting under the XJ to soak the O2 with PB, I drove for about 30 minutes and got home and immed. sprayed the O2 with more PB and tried to remove it while hot with a longer 1/2" drive socket with adapter.
Wouldn't move. Done with this crap. Taking it to the mechanic and paying him $300 like he deserves to replace this thing.

I agree this thread is a great lesson to all n00bs. N00bs, XJ's are nothing like Hondas, and require industrial grade set of tools and professional ASE experience to work on. Oil filter adapter? Hope you have an angle grinder and bench vice to make your own tools. Shocks? Hope you have an air compressor to chisel out welds. O2 sensor? Hope you have a blowtorch. Oh, and PB Blaster doesn't do jack. It's snake oil. Save your money. The thread also serves to remind veteran gearheads just how challenging auto mechanics is. Don't agree? Well maybe you can think about why 99% of people can't even open their hood and change an air filter, and why mechanics make $150 in 12 mins.

This argument is invalid because just like all your other threads, everything you've argued as been explain and shown, the only difference is that now your saying Hondas, guess you got caught and shown how bs your claim for BMW are easier huh?

Just quit now man, its obvious your just a whiner, looking for attention and likes to argue. Sell the xj to spare it grief and to hopefully give it an owner who'll actually has balls to fix it right unlike you

I think this explains the most and puts your situation in to the most simple way.

py8y9y2y.jpg

^ bummerwhatever. Explain this, and tell us how you wanted to learn how to fix things but you manage instead to just take it to a mechanic??? Where's the learning now??

LOL the 5%

I was in the 1% for my age group till I decided I hated NYC and couldn't deal with the ridiculous madmen running the company I was working for.

I am happier now with no money than I was then with five figures in savings.

I think this explains the most and puts your situation in to the most simple way ^ bummerwhatever. Explain this, and tell us how you wanted to learn how to fix things but you manage instead to just take it to a mechanic??? Where's the learning now??

What part do you not understand? I tried to remove the O2 sensor but was unable to. The bottom line is that unlike with other cars, you need blowtorches for the XJ. That's way out of my league. So, when things are out of your league, you pay a professional to do the job. How is that complicated?

Contrary to typical internet myths, the XJ is a much harder car to work on compared to other cars. I have only managed a handful of smaller jobs on the XJ but increasingly, it is clear that on XJ's, jobs like shocks and O2 sensors are not for beginners. Anyone who tells you they work on an XJ with a basic socket set is a liar. I've learned that an XJ should only be something you graduate to once you have many years of automotive experience and a professional caliber set of tools at your disposal (torches, vices, grinders, air compressors, etc) And if you think THOSE tools are basic, you're living in one heck of a bubble. Most people don't even own a drill or socket set anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back