• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new here and questions

amsoilman1980

NAXJA Forum User
ive lurked on here before but never had anything useful to add in my opinion. i live in northeastern oregon and have a 2002 dodge 1500 4x4 as a daily driver and 2 chevy projects. i used to have a cherokee a few years ago but it was a junker i just used to run back and forth to work but when the tranny started to go out i just sold it, it only had the little v-6 in it too.

im looking at a cherokee chief right now its a 87 2 door with 4" lift and 33" tires. it has the 4.0L and a 5 speed, 153K on the jeep, A/C, PS, and some fender trimming in the front. he says the front had some clicking noise in the axle and he bought a new front axle for it and the original front axle quit making noise so he didnt swap it but the axle comes with it.

what axles came in these jeeps? im guessing 30 front 35 rear.

what gears came stock in this year cherokee? the owner doesnt know.

i hear alot of people running aussie lockers in the rear. are these good in the front?

anyother pros, cons, good ideas for this year?

thanks all who post here, ill get more pics once i get it home if the deal goes through.

Last edited:
thanks, yah im aware to check in the door way for wrinkled sheet metal. i bought my dad a cj5 last year and there is some pretty bad spots in the door ways where they had jumped it.

When I buy my next Xj, this spring. I wil check for
  • Water leaks, or the apperance of what leaking on driverside
  • engine block and tranny seals for leaks
  • unibody for any crumpling on the front end
  • Rear hatch for open/closing straight.
  • top door hinges where they attach to the A-Frame.
  • Check air intake for oil from blow-by
  • Make sure heater switch works, and not just defrost.

CLICKING is probally front cv joints, gears will be tall if a 5 speed rig, guessing 3.09 or so, junkyard auto's should have 3.55's, auto 4 bangers might have 4.10's.
if tis been jumped the roof will be wavy, check gaps at the trailing edges of the doors, should be even top to bottom, if the gap is closter at the top than at the bottom its tweaked (like mine:))

well im not getting that cherokee. i have to drive it back and he says the tires are basicly rotted, the window motor quit working, the tags are expired. im not looking for anything perfect but i want it to be mechanicaly sound. hell if i wanted a project my neighbor has an old one with no motor or tranny and gutted interior i could make a trail wheeler

Back