• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAXJA users into GeoCaching.

Are you a Geocacher?

• Into Geochaching

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • Not into Geocaching

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • What is Geocaching

Votes: 55 47.4%
  • Not interested in Geocaching

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering who does and who doesn't
Asked a question kind of like this on the Intermountian Fourm a few months back.
I saw another post here and it just got me thinking.

you read mary's post too huh? i am interested in it but i just dont have any time to fit it in.. a friend got me interested in it and we have gone out to find a few caches.. its a fun challenge but i havent gotten into it much.. i need to get into a land-navigation class to get a better handle on it.. i know maritime navigation and that gets me by with what i need but i know there are alot of things i am missing and rusty on.... i might try to get something going around here next spring.. and was thinking about doing some when i hit Moab in april..

sidriptide said:
you read mary's post too huh? i am interested in it but i just dont have any time to fit it in.. a friend got me interested in it and we have gone out to find a few caches.. its a fun challenge but i havent gotten into it much.. i need to get into a land-navigation class to get a better handle on it.. i know maritime navigation and that gets me by with what i need but i know there are alot of things i am missing and rusty on.... i might try to get something going around here next spring.. and was thinking about doing some when i hit Moab in april..
Personaly I think Geocaching is the best way to learn land based navigation. Or at least it will make you know your GPS real well. I find them all the time even while I work(I drive truck). I don't have alot of time but I try and find a few each month.

I've been interested in orienteering, and GeoCaching seems to be sort of a spin-off from that. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds like fun.

are there any web sites devoted to this? I'd like to find out more about it as it might be fun to do one next year at the Moab Fall Fling. Anybody steer me in the right direction here? Thanks, Danno

geocaching.com is the big one. you just type in your zip and bam 100's if not 1000's of caches in your area.

I saw a program about it a couple years ago on the Travel channel- which peaked my interest- and now I am addicted.

Danno said:
are there any web sites devoted to this? I'd like to find out more about it as it might be fun to do one next year at the Moab Fall Fling. Anybody steer me in the right direction here? Thanks, Danno
WWW.Geocaching.com That is the site. Yeah its a blast. I have been using a GPS for years but this is the best way to get your moneys worth out of one.
Not to mention it gets a fat guy like me out doing something :pig:

Ethan and I got hooked this year while on the SoCal Calico run. Don't have a lot of spare time for it, there are quite a few in the local area though.

I found out about it by accident a couple of years ago. We were out in the desert shooting, and when we were cleaning up at the end of the day, we noticed an old .50 cal ammo can with a sticker on it sitting under a nearby tree.

I looked into the website when I got home, and the one we found had alot of comments like "I took my durango, and the road was so bad, I would never go back again", and "The place was very pretty, but the road was horrible" Bad road? I didn't even put it in 4wd - and that was back when I was stock.

The concept seemed pretty cool, but it looked to me like most of the users (of the site at least) were pretty lame.

Been into for about 4 years now. We usually fit it into our camping/4wd/hunting/fishing trips. It's a cool reason to say "Hey I wonder what's down this road." I've found some cool areas by chasing geocaches. This summer we found one at probably one of the highest roads that you can drive in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a8af265d-457b-4abe-a984-3d68b91030ef

DrMoab whats your user name at GC?

Zebaru said:
The concept seemed pretty cool, but it looked to me like most of the users (of the site at least) were pretty lame.
ya know, I thought that too when I first joined. Actually I still do. The cool thing is its something you can do without ever needing to deal with anybody else. Also there are quite a few wheelers on there. I know of a few in Moab that are on the jeep trails and a couple up Providence Canyon here in Utah.
Here..http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=153610 So I guess its all how you look at it.

karstic said:
This summer we found one at probably one of the highest roads that you can drive in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a8af265d-457b-4abe-a984-3d68b91030ef

I might have your road beat. This was in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in the White Mountains of California. :)
standard.jpg

I also geocache, but haven't been in a while.

Handlebars said:
I might have your road beat. This was in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in the White Mountains of California. :)

I also geocache, but haven't been in a while.
these are a few pics from a trip the geocache site that I took at a cache site. Goes to show you how you can do it even if you don't have time...I had my wife and kids with me on a trip and found this one off the freeway between Mesquite and Vegas on I-15
d55b1ae6-5b58-43be-b80a-15340edc26d5.jpg

c3e9ad5a-7964-4566-8162-8b142907aae8.jpg

If you look in the second one you can barly see my truck..this was about how far off the freeway it was.

i first heard of it maybe 6 months ago.. one of the 4wd magazines i get had a write-up in it about a family down south maybe Luisiana?, that had a few XJs and they did familly vacations/outtings based on Geocaching.. my kids love doing it.. they love the searching part.. its like hunting for pirate treasure to them i guess..
heres a spot that i have always known for wheeling but turned out to have a cache too....

standard

sidriptide said:
i first heard of it maybe 6 months ago.. one of the 4wd magazines i get had a write-up in it about a family down south maybe Luisiana?, that had a few XJs and they did familly vacations/outtings based on Geocaching.. my kids love doing it.. they love the searching part.. its like hunting for pirate treasure to them i guess..
heres a spot that i have always known for wheeling but turned out to have a cache too....

standard
yeah, my kids love it too. even my three year old loves it. Have you planted any? I have a couple...One of them in one of my favorite mountian lakes that you really need a 4wd to get too.

we havent planted ay yet.. i was thinking about it for next year... i have to get more experience in finding them first....

I am really into geocaching since about June of the year. They are everywhere, just go to the website at geocache.com and plug in a zip code.

There are plenty in the Moab area and I was able to do some while on the Klondyke Bluff/Tusher Tunnel trail ride this past October.

Check out my log(Oct 8) on this link you may know some of the people:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=03548b66-a38f-4d6c-b8e4-03462d3a14b2

It is great to do and like the first post I did w/ Boatwrench, there are a lot of places that need a Jeep to get to. It is a great combo outing.

Mary

Back