• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My WalMart Light Rack

xjh3 said:
Well, it's funny, I decided I wanted to take off the roofrack. I didn't want to completely ditch the roof lights with it, so I recalled on one of oo7's threads from a while back and thought that this would be the best way to go. Then this thread came up and now I'm the third person to have the same lights in the same place. I guess I'm kind of a copy catter... Oh well I'm over it.

Here it is before with the rack:
P1250006.jpg

Kinda seems naked to me like this, but I'm getting used to it.
P1250011.jpg

I already notice a difference in driving around without the rack.

Your alternator hates you! Seriously though, that before shot is amazing. I have 4 hella 500s on my roof right now too, but I think after seeing your jeep I'll get another set for the bumper when the budget allows.

Ba-Riedo said:
Would that be a strobe for changing traffic lights.;)

-Alex
Nope, just led lights. Far as I know strobes don't change traffic lights.

97XJ Jeeper said:
Nope, just led lights. Far as I know strobes don't change traffic lights.

Some traffic lights are controlled by sensors mounted on top of them at intersections, they respond to lights flashing. Look for a little jobber about the size of a thin spray can up there, thats the eyes.

The only problem with putting lights up high on the Jeep like that, is unless your the trail leader, you cant even use them when wheeling. They blind the person in front of you, and are useless!

Other then to look cool, I dont see a point in having that many lights.

A single set of lights with 100watt bulbs puts out plenty of light for any night wheeling I've ever done.

Although, you could alway upgrade to a set of Hella HID's, those bad boys will put out more light with 15 sets of normal driving lights!!

(Yes I know the one isn't aimed right, it was moved for the winch install and I didn't put it back before the picture.)
winch2.jpg

Yea, very true, I usually just run my fogs when I'm in line at nite on the trail though I have not gotten any complaints with the E codes unless somebody bends down like the spotter in front of me :D :D :D

True, but they do help a ton on back roads at night, or for use in repair situations, or for spotlighting deer, or for pissing off the dude that just passed you doing 80 :)

RichP said:
Some traffic lights are controlled by sensors mounted on top of them at intersections, they respond to lights flashing. Look for a little jobber about the size of a thin spray can up there, thats the eyes.
Normal lights won't do it. IR is the only thing that can do it. And MIR units are EXPENSIVE. Not to mention ILLEGAL as all hell. You'd be dumb to put them in plain view like that.

crazyjim said:
Normal lights won't do it. IR is the only thing that can do it. And MIR units are EXPENSIVE. Not to mention ILLEGAL as all hell. You'd be dumb to put them in plain view like that.

Yeah its illegal, I said it as a joke. Next time you see an aid car go by look at the center of the light bar, usually theres a strobe that is there for switching lights.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
Yeah its illegal, I said it as a joke. Next time you see an aid car go by look at the center of the light bar, usually theres a strobe that is there for switching lights.

-Alex
Not normally, that center "light" is usually a take down, at least on police vehicles. Being as that I'm a police officer I know these things :D It may be different other places, but in California, most aid vehicles don't have MIRT's (mobile infrared transmitters). They would almost ALWAYS cause an accident, we just slow down and look both ways, make sure people stop.

crazyjim said:
Not normally, that center "light" is usually a take down, at least on police vehicles. Being as that I'm a police officer I know these things :D It may be different other places, but in California, most aid vehicles don't have MIRT's (mobile infrared transmitters). They would almost ALWAYS cause an accident, we just slow down and look both ways, make sure people stop.
what we call take down lights are in the light bar on marked units, they are bright lights built into the lightbar like this, we use them for traffic stops to light up the inside and around the vehicle. the light in my pic is just an led dash light like this.

Actually if you want an infra red light just find a military supplier, every vehicle in the US inventory has one, sometimes two. They are the round ones that look like small KC's with the dark lens. The lens filters out everything BUT the IR band. Up here a standard strobe will do it provided it's aimed up correctly.

RichP said:
Up here a standard strobe will do it provided it's aimed up correctly.

same in illinois....even works w/a skillfully placed mag light burst.

Splitz, which way do you have yours mounted, writing on lens upside down or right side up? I have mine upside down and pointed strait out and they shine like 30 ft on the ground in front of the Jeep. Just wondering how yours are and where they shine. It's to cold to mess with right now. Thanks.

IMG_4212.jpg

camarors8992 said:
Your alternator hates you! Seriously though, that before shot is amazing. I have 4 hella 500s on my roof right now too, but I think after seeing your jeep I'll get another set for the bumper when the budget allows.

Yeah, I'm sure it does. The rackless look is kind of growing on me, especially with the 4 highway mpg jump I saw. I saw your pics in your picture thread. Looks good, but it should look real nice after the lift! This summer when I can afford it my name will be turning red as well...

Anybody know if the longer rails would work on the newer ones with the shorter rails, i like this mod especially cuz its low profile but dont have the long rails on my '01

Anyone know if this would work with some 5x7 spot lights mounted upright? I am wanting a "real" light bar up top at some point, but am trying to skim by for now....lol

Back