• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first ever major project on my 99 XJ...

uncc civilengineer said:
OR give Tarheel 4wd a call and see what they have in stock.

Katie....I just picked up some from tarheel 4wd this afternoon for mine...cost me $10.67 with tax for 4*.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Katie....I just picked up some from tarheel 4wd this afternoon for mine...cost me $10.67 with tax for 4*.

What!!!, you mean NAPA or Advanced didn;t have them....:shocked: .......

ZacSquatch said:
What!!!, you mean NAPA or Advanced didn;t have them....:shocked: .......

Didn't even look to be honest....plus it gave me an excuse to go down to tarheel and ooooo and ahhhhh over the stuff I know i'll never be able to put on the Jeep...lol.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Didn't even look to be honest....plus it gave me an excuse to go down to tarheel and ooooo and ahhhhh over the stuff I know i'll never be able to put on the Jeep...lol.
Haha sounds like me! I've been to 4WP many a time just to look at stuff I'll probably never need and probably never afford...lol

Where's Tarheel 4x4 located on N Tryon? I'm not real familiar with that part of town... but glad to hear a price on them, I think I can afford them! hehe ;)

BTW, I've put ~160 miles on my lift w/ no shims & u-joint noise...is that really bad? I mean, is something gonna break? I only hear bad vibes from 30-40mph but when I take my foot off the gas after accelerating, I hear what you called u-joint noise...it also seems to happen when I brake too... :( should I be concerned? :huh:

Oh yeah, and I took my car over to my buddy's work today to have them check the ball joints, only they said they were behind so bring it back 2moro...so I got up at 8am for nought! *grumbles* And I'd kinda like to be there to hear what they say...if they check out okay, I might have them go ahead and mount and balance the new tires and align the front end...I trust their work and they're not gonna bullshit me...

Of course, that new tire smell does kinda make my car smell nice ;)

i have the wobble and the noise also. its the worst around 30mph. i dont think its anything to worry about if you dont drive like a crazy person. ive had my RE 3.5" sf in for a little over a month with no sye(putting it in later this week). the noise hurts my soul but i think the ujoints are fairly strong, just dont do any crazy driving or wheeling until you get it solved.

Tarheel 4wd is about 10-15 minutes towards downtown from UNCC.

here's a map

Personally, with the vibes like that, I'd try to minimize unnecessary driving till you get it fixed.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Tarheel 4wd is about 10-15 minutes towards downtown from UNCC.

here's a map

Personally, with the vibes like that, I'd try to minimize unnecessary driving till you get it fixed.

Cool thanx for that map! It looks like it's about 20 mins from my house.

And i didn't really think the vibes were that bad...

99XJSPORT06 said:

Tim, your full of shit... they aren't nearly that bad at all... go climb a curb or something and get real.

ZacSquatch said:
Tim, your full of shit... they aren't nearly that bad at all... go climb a curb or something and get real.

You sure are an angry drunk. Forgive me for trying to help her.

Well I won't be able to get to tarheel until at least tomorrow, so no progress will have been made till then. And I'm gonna try to get the tires put on sometime this week if I have time. I'm so sick of this crap tho it's driving me nuts and has turned into more of a headache than I could possibly imagine.

99XJSPORT06 said:
You sure are an angry drunk. Forgive me for trying to help her.

Lol, sorry Tim...:gee:

Lol Katie, you worry too much... Do like me and Tim, crank your music up and forget about the lil stuff for a bit.

ZacSquatch said:
Lol, sorry Tim...:gee:

Lol Katie, you worry too much... Do like me and Tim, crank your music up and forget about the lil stuff for a bit.
Reminds me of using a ratchet strap to hold your trans in place the last time we wheeled together at URE...fun time.

rob92xj said:
Reminds me of using a ratchet strap to hold your trans in place the last time we wheeled together at URE...fun time.

Lol! I hope I can make it out to URE one of these days...

rob92xj said:

haha, ended up being the blasted motor mount... not the trans... better than when I first got the jeep.. the tranny mount wasn't even bolted on, just sitting in the holes.. And of course, since then I've sheared the motor mount bolts in my block twice from a heavy foot... why can't an axle shaft or somthing die on me finaly, damn..

Well I figured i'd update you all on the progress. Got the axle shims, gonna have them put on tomorrow, as well as getting that annoying bolt out and my shock put back on.

I've got an appt. at 10am at Tarheel 4wd to get the bigger rubber installed and to have them give the ball joints one final check.

Wish me luck! I hope nothing goes crazy after they put the 31s on...fingers crossed! ;)

Just be a good girl and take some video washing it.

OK so I got the new tires put on today and balanced...but when I get to around 50mph, the steering wheel feels funny; it's not a vibration or shaky, it just feels like the steering wheel isn't controlling the car. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I paid Tarheel 4wd to mount and balance the tires, but I don't see any weights on the wheels like the last place that balanced my tires...is balancing and aligning the same thing or different? I've heard of a front-end alignment, but can you have a tire alignment?

I'd like to take it back to them and tell them to take it on the highway and then come back and tell me it's perfectly balanced.

Other than that issue, and the fact that my XJ feels sluggish, like it has to work harder to get anywhere, I'm happy with it.

Here's some pics:

DSCF4241.jpg

DSCF4242.jpg

DSCF4243.jpg

DSCF4244.jpg

I'm glad I didn't sell my wheels after all--the new tires didn't stick out nearly as far as I thought they would. :D

Back