• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first ever major project on my 99 XJ...

Does it feel like a popping from a rotating part, or from a part that's moving due to the suspension moving? Could be a ball joint, but if it's popping while you're turning and moving, I'm still thinking you got a driveshaft u-joint on the way out.

I'm betting on a loose track bar.

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Now, my only real complaint right now is that there is a very loud popping noise that I can both hear and feel near the left front tire. I first noticed it last night when I went to move my XJ from the curb back into the driveway. It only popped once, but I got paranoid.

Today, I was driving around, needed to get gas, and it popped several more times, from that area only. I was like, hmmm well I guess if nothing falls off...

But tonight, when I went to move the Jeep in, it popped 3 times during a 3-pt turn. It also seems to do it when I'm turning the wheels. Could it be a bad ball joint? any ideas? I don't really feel safe driving it around until I can address the issue, and I was advised by 4wp (not that I take all their advice) to get the ball joints replaced first, then put the bigger tires on and get it aligned.
Sounds like a loose track bar.

rob92xj said:
Sounds like a loose track bar.

Yeah that's exactly what it was. Zac stopped by for an hour or so and took care of it. He also took my shock off that was rattling against the exhaust and tried to get the bolt out but didn't have the right drill. He confirmed that 4 degree shims is all I need for right now.

Anywho, it's not popping anymore now, thank god! So hopefully the shims will take care of anything else and my u-joints will stop making noise :( *fingers crossed*

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Yeah that's exactly what it was. Zac stopped by for an hour or so and took care of it. He also took my shock off that was rattling against the exhaust and tried to get the bolt out but didn't have the right drill. He confirmed that 4 degree shims is all I need for right now.

Anywho, it's not popping anymore now, thank god! So hopefully the shims will take care of anything else and my u-joints will stop making noise :( *fingers crossed*
No need to drill out the broken bolt break the welded nut off
The bolts on my right rear shock when I installed my lift last year
93343.jpg

The fix break the nuts off the body and install 2 5/16 bolts and nuts
93346.jpg

But then again I work on Jeeps for a living.

Have you checked out jeeperz?(Since you know Zac)
Link to pics of the rebuild of my XJ http://jeeperz.tenmagazines.com/ew/mygallery.asp?id=291&album=7621

Hey rob, her vibes are not near bad enough for a SYE... shims will do the trick... hell I have over 5" on 4* shims and 1" drop...

The trac bar was the popping.. few turns on the breaker bar got er tight

... and I will need to break the nut off... broke an easy out tryin to remove the stud today.

I also concurr with Tim's diagnosis of the ball joints.. tight as a virgin... 4WP can blow ot out their butt

Last edited:
ZacSquatch said:
mall crawler extrordinier (sp)
You numnuts Zac that's me, Tim's lookalike!

NCjeepgirl83 said:
And once I get all this straightened out, I'm gonna put this on the front:

Picked it up on Ebay for pretty cheap...:D
Did you get that from someone in Missouri?

Last edited:
rob92xj said:
93343.jpg

93346.jpg

OMG. I'm glad my XJ and I don't live someplace that does this to a vehicle! Here's what mine looked like before I started my lift:
dscn3289.jpg

DougJ said:
rob92xj said:
93343.jpg

93346.jpg

OMG. I'm glad my XJ and I don't live someplace that does this to a vehicle! Here's what mine looked like before I started my lift:
dscn3289.jpg
My XJ served the first 12 years of its existance in Long Island, NY(winter road salt and weekends on the beach) the red stuff is mud that will probably never come off again the bolts on the passenger side broke because of my large exhaust system heating them to the point I might as well have welded the bolts to the body. I did have the original shock bolts in it when I installed my 2" lift with shocks about 4 or 5 years ago.

Zac with my XJ at 6" with 3* or 6* shims and my t-case drop the vibes my XJ had were only when braking.

Last edited:
Katie the shims I have are the wrong ones for a XJ they are for a CJ which has a thinner spring then a XJ, you could order them fron Rustys off road or Rubicon Express. If I find another set which I though I had I'll let you know.

good luck getting dc4wd on the phone.... ive been trying to order crap from him all morning....

they are good people though, so you cant blame em for being busy

xcm said:
good luck getting dc4wd on the phone.... ive been trying to order crap from him all morning....

they are good people though, so you cant blame em for being busy

he's insanely busy (supposedly the #1 RE dealer in the country)... and from my past experience Monday's a tough day to get ahold of him.. your best bet is to leave a message and he'll call you back...

It's worth it for the $$ savings though IMO...

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Nope it came from Kansas I believe.
Oh yeah, that's right. I knew it was either Kansas City, Missouri or Kansas City, Kansas. I was watching that close on eBay because I'm only about 2.5 hrs from there and it did stay pretty cheap; I was half tempted to drive down and get it. Glad to know someone on here got it.

uncc civilengineer said:
he's insanely busy (supposedly the #1 RE dealer in the country)... and from my past experience Monday's a tough day to get ahold of him.. your best bet is to leave a message and he'll call you back...

It's worth it for the $$ savings though IMO...
10-4 on that, just got ahold of them, and got a rk 3 upgrade for 490 shipped, 100 below retail. but got quoted 16 days for shipping....

im spoiled on RE shipping, being in california shit arrives quick, anyone know rock krawlers warehouse location and/or actual estimated ship time?

The RK kit is pretty much made to order nowadays. You are waiting on them to build it.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Correct. Do the shims, then drive it and see if your vibes/grinding has gone away. If it's still there, THEN consider an SYE. Sorry, should have cleared that up a bit more for you earlier.
Don't forget to have those tires spin balanced. Bigger tire= bigger wobble. Keep that pressure up on-road.

Mine doesn't have shims on the leaf perches, but my OME TC drop works wonderfully. Tight, baby!

Last edited:
Back