• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first ever major project on my 99 XJ...

alright!!! Looks good! I've been waiting to see some final pics of it!

NOW it's a jeep!

tayman said:
alright!!! Looks good! I've been waiting to see some final pics of it!

NOW it's a jeep!

Aww thanks! That makes me feel good to know! :heart:

Now I just gotta get the axle shims in and hope the grinding noise that I keep hearing more frequently now will go away...it used to be mainly from 30-40mph, but now it seems to be happening at under 20mph :( and it most often occurs after I take my foot off the accel pedal...

NCjeepgirl83 said:

Now I just gotta get the axle shims in and hope the grinding noise that I keep hearing more frequently now will go away...it used to be mainly from 30-40mph, but now it seems to be happening at under 20mph :( and it most often occurs after I take my foot off the accel pedal...
Did you put a transfer case drop on her?

Edit: Or him or it...not sure what you refer to your red heep as, but mine is a girl =]

NCjeepgirl83 said:

Thats just the slip yoke rattling on the output shaft of the T-case. Its not hurting anything and it will most likely get better over time. I lubed mine with some Lucas "Red-n-Tacky" gease and it all but went completly away. I eventually went to a SYE but that was for trail convienance more than anything. I can drive it home on the front shaft without loosing fluid or swap shafts front/rear now if I need to.

Drive it, wheel it, enjoy it! Nice Jeep!

lancey3 said:
Did you put a transfer case drop on her?

Edit: Or him or it...not sure what you refer to your red heep as, but mine is a girl =]

Yup you can see it in the side pic--it's bright silver hehe...it's funny you should talk about sex, b/c I've never really thought of my Jeep as being anything but an 'it', while with the 911, it's been a 'him' to me...

xjtrailrider said:
Thats just the slip yoke rattling on the output shaft of the T-case. Its not hurting anything and it will most likely get better over time. I lubed mine with some Lucas "Red-n-Tacky" gease and it all but went completly away. I eventually went to a SYE but that was for trail convienance more than anything. I can drive it home on the front shaft without loosing fluid or swap shafts front/rear now if I need to.

Drive it, wheel it, enjoy it! Nice Jeep!

Oh good I feel better knowing that it's not hurting anything. I always cringe when I hear it cos I think, oh god, I'm breaking something...silly Tim told me it was my u-joints making noise...:dunno:

It seems to be getting worse rather than better, but I might try to find that red-n-tacky stuff you used n give it a try...

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Yup you can see it in the side pic--it's bright silver hehe...it's funny you should talk about sex, b/c I've never really thought of my Jeep as being anything but an 'it', while with the 911, it's been a 'him' to me...
Stick some heavy stuff in the back and let the leaves settle which will reduce the angles too.

edit: and flex them out with the heavy stuff in them. sidenote.. Have you ditched your rear sway bar yet?

lancey3 said:
Stick some heavy stuff in the back and let the leaves settle which will reduce the angles too.

edit: and flex them out with the heavy stuff in them. sidenote.. Have you ditched your rear sway bar yet?

OK cool thanx! And no, I haven't yet. Why would I need to ditch it?

Oh and someone better show me how to flex the damn thing! I feel retarded!:doh:

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Oh good I feel better knowing that it's not hurting anything. I always cringe when I hear it cos I think, oh god, I'm breaking something...silly Tim told me it was my u-joints making noise...:dunno:

It seems to be getting worse rather than better, but I might try to find that red-n-tacky stuff you used n give it a try...

You will need to pull the drive shaft and put the grease inside the slip yoke on the splines. But if you or your friends think it may be the u-joints then address those first, they are cheap insurance to prevent throwing a shaft.

NCjeepgirl83 said:
OK cool thanx! And no, I haven't yet. Why would I need to ditch it?

Oh and someone better show me how to flex the damn thing! I feel retarded!:doh:

Its unecessary because of your new stiffer springs. Sway bars limit 'flex', which is the ability for your suspension to travel to make your car more 'street friendly'

Maybe someone could drive down there and show you, and tim too how to flex and wheel off pavement! :rof:sorry tim I had too..

Does anyone have any tips for making my XJ faster? The acceleration sucks. It no longer drives like a quick, turn-on-a-dime fun machine but rather a slow, ambling one and I've burned rubber on my new tires twice just trying to pull out quickly. In other words, I'm not really all that happy with it, but I guess I've just gotta get used to it. And this is only city driving I'm talking about. I don't ever take it on the highway. :(

OK but doesn't regearing cost a lot of $$? Like $2000? Cos I don't have anywhere near that amt. of money!

There's not gonna be any "cheap" ways to get more get-up-and-go out of you XJ now. Gears (or a V8 :cool: ) is gonna be the way to go.

BTW, aren't you glad you went with the 31's? I think it looks great!

RenegadeStang said:
There's not gonna be any "cheap" ways to get more get-up-and-go out of you XJ now. Gears (or a V8 :cool: ) is gonna be the way to go.

BTW, aren't you glad you went with the 31's? I think it looks great!
Thanks for the info and compliments. While I'm glad I got the 31s for the looks factor, I'm not happy with the acceleration and handling factor...oh well. I swear it handled better and was actually a lil faster on the stock tires...

It definitely used to be a very peppy car...I think it's just pissed off with me for lifting it ;)

NCjeepgirl83 said:
It definitely used to be a very peppy car...I think it's just pissed off with me for lifting it ;)

Somewhere around here there's a theorem that illustrates :

offroad capability gains are directly inverse to the onroad performance + gear ratio squared, factor for temperature constant, windspeed velocity...

Nah, it's pretty simple. Pushing bigger tires is harder for your vehicle, unless you re-gear to increase the mechanical advantage your driveline has, or get a bigger engine to increase the amount of power that pushes your driveline.

You will definitely lose pep each time you go up in tire size and don't accordingly increase the force that pushes those tires.

welcome to the world of a lifted rig, lol

Well maybe I spoke too soon about the slowness of my XJ...it's not that slow, and the revs don't get anywhere near 4000rpm unless I'm flooring it (which I'm usually not)...my solution for now is just have a heavier right foot...but with that, there goes the gas mileage lol. But so long as I'm only filling it up once a week, then I'm not gonna worry about it too much; that's normal for me even before I got the lift...:viking:

Back