• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first ever major project on my 99 XJ...

well then you should be fine... I didn't really notice much, if any, difference...

You could find a Dana 30 out of a 4 cyl with a tow package and theres 4.10s for ya.

probably more work than she wants to do... IMO

tayman said:
probably more work than she wants to do... IMO

you're 100% correct, i was just throwing it out there. :eek:

haha, ok.

jeepgirl, you can always try taking off in 3rd instead of OD, that will help a lil because you are using a lower gear, then once you hit cruising speed shifting it up into OD.

ladywolf said:
jeepgirl, you can always try taking off in 3rd instead of OD, that will help a lil because you are using a lower gear, then once you hit cruising speed shifting it up into OD.

I have no idea how to do that. I have an auto trans. I don't even know what OD is, other than it stands for Over Drive.

NCjeepgirl83 said:
I have no idea how to do that. I have an auto trans. I don't even know what OD is, other than it stands for Over Drive.

k your jeep should have an AW4. your gearshift looks something like:
Park
Reverse
Neutral
Overdrive/Drive
3rd
2nd/1st

Back up normal like pulling out of a parking spot, etc. . ., then instead of putting it into Drive or Overdrive, merely shift it down into 3rd. when you get up to speed just shift it into OD or D. Doesnt hurt the transmission, and the lower gearing will help you more quickly from a stopped position in traffic. Basically all you are doing is manually shifting the transmission using the shifter instead of letting it autoshift (feeling the transmission change gears as you speed up)

hey, your in my parking spot...

And I'm sure that regearing price is 4WP price huh... try $750 max... If we find someone willing to help.. and I know some folks.. but wait til summer, it'll be fine for now.

NCjeepgirl83 said:

Just shift your tranny to "3" instead of "D" when you go to drive it.

Your transmission will do the rest, "D" is basically gears 1-3 plus it will lock up the torque converter (long story short, torque converter is good for mileage, bad for pep and power). By keeping it short of "D," you'll get a bit more stank out of the 4.0

Good call ladywolf, I get by with my 33s the same way. Soon come the gears though.

You should only use OD on the freeway. It generates heat and is hard on the trans at speeds lower than 50 mph. The 4.0 is most efficient in the 2K-2500 rpm range. People actually ruin their transmissions using OD while driving around town.

fubar XJ said:
You should only use OD on the freeway. It generates heat and is hard on the trans at speeds lower than 50 mph. The 4.0 is most efficient in the 2K-2500 rpm range. People actually ruin their transmissions using OD while driving around town.

Wait a min...is OD and D the same thing? Are you saying I shouldn't put it in D when I'm driving in town? That doesn't make any sense. And I never use the freeway, only in-town driving.

So can someone explain what the diff. is b/w 3 and D? I just took it around the block in 3 and it drove well but I'm just wondering how fast you can drive in 3...for instance, I get up to 50mph fairly frequently.

The AW4 is a four speed automatic, with fourth being an overdrive. When in overdrive the transmission output speed is higher than the input speed. In your Jeep 3rd gear is a 1.00 ratio and 4th is 0.75. (With torque converter locked) So when in 3rd the output shaft will rotate once for each rotation of the input shaft, when in overdrive the input shaft only has to rotate 3/4 of a turn to make the output shaft rotate once. All you really need to know is that it's simply a higher gear.

If you pay careful attention you will be able to see your transmission make each shift then lock the torque converter. From a stop you're in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (OD), then tq converter lockup. The tq converter can also lock in 3rd... If you are driving under a light load at low speed the transmission can shift into 4th, but with the taller tires it's more likely that it wont lock the tq converter. (At that given speed, say 40 mph) If you somehow manage to hold that specific speed and load that keeps the tq converter unlocked the transmission will generate more heat than normal. You can play around with driving in 3rd and D and counting shifts. Stopped you're in 1st, if you count each "shift" all the way to when the tq converter locks you'll end up counting to five if in drive and four if you're in 3rd! Might sound confusing to you but you're simply counting each gear then once more when the tq converter locks.

So, since you've raised your overall effective gear ratio by going to bigger tires, for a given RPM each gear is moving the Jeep farther down the road. That's why you feel that it seems more sluggish, it is! Your automatic is set up for that lower ratio you used to have. If it was a manual trans you might find yourself holding 3rd where you would have been in 4th before. By selecting 3rd instead on D in your automatic you're doing the same thing. I.E. preventing the trans from shifting into OD.

Hope that helps.

Hey again,

well I went out and took a few pics of me attempting to flex...unfortunately there aren't many places around my neighborhood that have high curbs or anything to get any decent flex, so this'll have to do for now...I'm sure the other drivers wondered what in the heck I was doing...hehe ;)

DSCF4264.jpg

DSCF4269.jpg

DSCF4271.jpg

DSCF4275.jpg

That looks good girl! You made the right choice bumping upto 31's! Long story of why I have 30's on mind but Here is what they look like on a 3.5 RE lift with trimmed fenders looks. Yes I'm going up to 33's this week.

main.php

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Hey again,

well I went out and took a few pics of me attempting to flex...unfortunately there aren't many places around my neighborhood that have high curbs or anything to get any decent flex, so this'll have to do for now...

I'm sure you have some smaller cars with hoods fairly close to the ground... :D

RenegadeStang said:
No long story. You had 30's on stock suspension. You got a lift. You now have 30's on a 3.5" lift. :laugh:

LOL! Needed new tires and picked up the rims for $20 then put on MTs instead of ATs. With the offset on rims and sagging and negative arch on one rear springs I couldn't even clear them when lightly wheeling.............decided to put lift on it and wheel it! Still my DD. Sold the Zuk and trying to sell the Waggy to fund more build and another DD so I can start building the Dana 60 I have. That will be long range goal though..........OK so not a real long story because I left out the conversationss with the wife...........:woohoo:

Anywho, sorry to side track the thread NCJeepGirl83. No go find a bigger curb, rock, neighbors car and flex that bad boy a little more. It's got more than that girl! :yelclap:

Back