• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOAB-2013

I drive straight through, no stops for gas, one food break, I set the cruise at 63 in CA, 68 once im outta state, takes me a little over 12 hours.

I usually have to stop for gas in Barstow, Vegas, Cedar City, and Richfield. I'm planning to leave that Friday, Oct 4 after work. Stop in Cedar City for the night, then finish the drive on Sat.

I'm gonna take my time on the way up. No need to rush it. If anyone wants to caravan up from so Cal Monday or Tuesday, then let me know.

The dinner/raffle is Fri night. There will be a Show and Shine BBQ at a local park Wed or Thu night.

There will be organized runs each of those five days, but they tend to get overfilled. Each run has a separate staging area.

Thanks for the info.

is there any reason to even tow the jeep out there?

I've driven to Moab and wheeled the crap out of the XJ many times. You have to drive it to and from the trail each day, if it will do that you can drive it home. :)

Also, a separate speed limit for trailers is only in CA, no such thing in NV and UT.

I plan on leaving Fri evening. My usual schedule is to leave after work and drive to Mesquite or Cedar City (depending on when I get away) and then get to Moab the next afternoon. It's a 12-13 hr drive if you drive straight through.

Driving through Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Capital Reef national parks on Hwy 12, either going or coming, is a damn nice drive.

I have been going to Moab since 1999 and have driven the Jeep to and from Moab each time including driving the Jeep home to Escondido after rolling on Rusty Nail in '03.
Just need to know your limits or lay in a BIG supply of spare parts.
A lot of owners that trailer their Jeeps also THRASH their vehicles on the trail since all they need to do is get the Jeep back to the trailer instead of driving home too!!!
To each there own..... That's not for me.

I've driven to Moab and wheeled the crap out of the XJ many times. You have to drive it to and from the trail each day, if it will do that you can drive it home. :)
i was mostly curious if there was any actually hard wheeling out there, or if it was maybe on big bear's level of dificulty.
big bear level = drive out there
hammers level = trailer

I'll be there. I haven't reserved lodging yet though, need to think about dates a bit.

As for the drive itself I typically make it to the rest stop near Beaver, Utah, take a few hours of sleep, then continue on the road. It's about 700 miles from my door to Slickrock CG.

i was mostly curious if there was any actually hard wheeling out there, or if it was maybe on big bear's level of dificulty.
big bear level = drive out there
hammers level = trailer

I'll probably bring the buggy. :)

One of the cool things about Moab is that you can have a great time in a stock XJ or in a buggy, and everything in between. The wheeling is great, but the scenery on the trail is even better, and the whole concept of camping in town with gas stations, grocery store, restaurants, parts houses, and 4x4 shops close by is very cool.

Normal day in Moab. Get up, drink coffee and visit with friends in camp, go top off the gas tank, go to City Market and buy lunch and maybe a couple donuts, go run a very fun and scenic trail, come back to camp and visit with friends, go to a restaurant and have dinner with friends, go back to camp and sit around a camp fire laughing and drinking beer, eventually go to bed. Get up the next day and do it all again.

I'll probably bring the buggy. :)

One of the cool things about Moab is that you can have a great time in a stock XJ or in a buggy, and everything in between. The wheeling is great, but the scenery on the trail is even better, and the whole concept of camping in town with gas stations, grocery store, restaurants, parts houses, and 4x4 shops close by is very cool.

Normal day in Moab. Get up, drink coffee and visit with friends in camp, go top off the gas tank, go to City Market and buy lunch and maybe a couple donuts, go run a very fun and scenic trail, come back to camp and visit with friends, go to a restaurant and have dinner with friends, go back to camp and sit around a camp fire laughing and drinking beer, eventually go to bed. Get up the next day and do it all again.
guess i'll see how goatfest goes and go from there. both from the standpoint of my jeep and tow rig. not sure what's worse, driving a 22 year old 225k mile jeep 12 hours to go wheel and drive back, or driving a 23 year old 300k mile chevy towing the jeep the same distance lol

FYI, this goes for anyone in Socal. If my jeep is driveable at the end of the week, and yours isn't....yours will be on my trailer and you can drive mine home.

Back