• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Specific Moab Wheel On XJ

DirtySouthXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have a set of Moab wheels with MOPAR markings on both the Wheels and center caps, they are also marked "2013" and "17x7.75" but there is no mention of bolt pattern that I can tell (could be in a code or something, there are other numbers). Does anyone have any idea what these wheels would have came off of, what the bolt pattern would be and what would need to be done (hubcentric bolt pattern adapter? What thickness?) to use them on a 96 2 door/2wd XJ with street style tires (currently no tires on the wheels)? I searched but there seems to be multiple Moab versions, including ones that possibly would just bolt on an XJ and some that won't. Thank you!

They look like these.

At least one has a tire pressure sensor/sender at the valve stem. I'll write down all the markings and post them as soon as I'm able. Right now it is looking like possibly 2013 Wrangler wheels, so very likely not a direct bolt on to the XJ. Going to need to figure out what thickness hubcentric bolt pattern adapter to run, there is all kinds of options. I want to run these at stock ride height (possibly lower, it's lifted 3-4" now), so being able to turn etc. without rubbing fenders/flares/suspension is a concern.

Being 17" and having Mopar center caps they may not be Jeep wheels!

The 17" Moabs are JK wheels. The 16" Moabs are TJ wheels. The TJ wheels are a direct bolt on.

Being 17" and having Mopar center caps they may not be Jeep wheels!

The center cap says Jeep on the outside (normally viewed side) but has Mopar markings on the inner side (towards hub). The wheel itself has Mopar markings (and others like 17x7.75 and 2013) on the inner side of the wheel (out of view when mounted).

Jeep JK. They are 5 X 5 bolt spacing.

Thank you!

The 17" Moabs are JK wheels. The 16" Moabs are TJ wheels. The TJ wheels are a direct bolt on.

Thank you! These came with the XJ (loose, no tires), so I'd like to use them if possible. The 5 x 5 pattern means I'm going to need hubcentric adapters at least. Any idea of what adapter thickness I should run for these specific wheels with street tires?

Measure the wheels that you have and get spacers that are long enough for the hub studs to not bottom out on the back face of the wheel, and try for somewhere around 4.25”-5.25” net backspacing (wheel BS minus adapter thickness).

You could use WJ hub bearings on the front. I have. I used WJ rims. I am aware of 17" and 18" rims that are 5 on 4.5, for Libby's. Also, there are 16" rims that came on 00-01 XJs.
If you go with WJ hub bearings, then you would need to drill some 00-01 rotors. I did the WJ Big Brakes.

I suspect that running WJ bearings and no adapters will result in those wheels being too far inboard. Keep in mind, JK axles are fairly wide.

There are guys on here who run those 17" wheels on their XJs. Hopefully one of them will chime in with their adapter thickness.

I think markw has those wheels on one of his XJs. The OP might want to send him a PM.

Measure the wheels that you have and get spacers that are long enough for the hub studs to not bottom out on the back face of the wheel, and try for somewhere around 4.25”-5.25” net backspacing (wheel BS minus adapter thickness).

I'll have to look into that, it seems there were multiple offset/backspacings for the different Moab wheels.

You could use WJ hub bearings on the front. I have. I used WJ rims. I am aware of 17" and 18" rims that are 5 on 4.5, for Libby's. Also, there are 16" rims that came on 00-01 XJs.
If you go with WJ hub bearings, then you would need to drill some 00-01 rotors. I did the WJ Big Brakes.

I'm glad you brought that up. I was looking into the WJ front brake swap (keeping 2wd) and Ford 8.8 or 9" with discs in the future, so those two items would be considerations.

The other aspect is the size of the tire.

Looking to do SUV street style tires, mid to low profile (?). It's 2wd and I have no plans of wheeling it (although I do have a 84 4wd parts XJ); maybe another XJ in rougher/already modified shape or a WJ one day, this one is too nice to cut up or bang up imo. I might consider going full time AWD if I can make it hold the power I eventually want to be at and not require ireversible modification. Ultimately, I want to build this XJ into sort of a street/sport SUV; along the lines of the 90's boxy 2 dr Tahoes and just keep it in good condition.

On my XJ's I ran a 32- 10.5 width and presently a 31-9.5 or so. The actual tires are Metric. I do run Ford 8.8. You will need to run spacers or the Yukon axles.

On my XJ's I ran a 32- 10.5 width and presently a 31-9.5 or so. The actual tires are Metric. I do run Ford 8.8. You will need to run spacers or the Yukon axles.

Copy, thank you! Yeah the Ford 8.8 sounds like an easy/er solution for rear discs, limited slip and ability to hold power with an aftermarket.

So I took a better look at one of the four Moab wheels and these are the markings I saw

- Chrysler (penta) logo
China M10

- 2013 (and an alphanumeric sequence I can't read under it, 9 characters long).

- 17x7.75 J and a circular code I can't read (maybe manufacturing date, location code?).

- T-DOT
44.45 offset
1AH78TRMAE

- A few other markings that are hard to describe/decipher

44.45 mm (I'm assuming mm) offset is 1.75 in inches; not sure how that effects fitment, necessary adapter fitment etc.

Hi,

I have a set of Moab wheels with MOPAR markings on both the Wheels and center caps, they are also marked "2013" and "17x7.75" but there is no mention of bolt pattern that I can tell (could be in a code or something, there are other numbers). Does anyone have any idea what these wheels would have came off of, what the bolt pattern would be and what would need to be done (hubcentric bolt pattern adapter? What thickness?) to use them on a 96 2 door/2wd XJ with street style tires (currently no tires on the wheels)? I searched but there seems to be multiple Moab versions, including ones that possibly would just bolt on an XJ and some that won't. Thank you!
Then some 1-1/4" adapters would make it the same as a factory TJ Rubi rim.
https://www.alloyusa.com/wheel-adap...-5-x-5-inch-to-5-x-4-5-inch-bolt-pattern.html

Heres my Rubi's with 265/75-16's............
P1080569_zpsdib4k3dm.jpg

I did have to have some nuts welded on the WJ knuckles with the R17's. I do run the R16 Rims with the WJ Big Brake set up. I had to do some clearance on the Ironman Swaybar extensions. You might check the backspacing between the rims you have and some WJ rims.

Then some 1-1/4" adapters would make it the same as a factory TJ Rubi rim.
https://www.alloyusa.com/wheel-adap...-5-x-5-inch-to-5-x-4-5-inch-bolt-pattern.html

Heres my Rubi's with 265/75-16's............
P1080569_zpsdib4k3dm.jpg

Nice! Looks sweet! Thank you! So looks like I need 1 - 1/4" adapters for front and rear and longer studs for the rear at least.

I did have to have some nuts welded on the WJ knuckles with the R17's. I do run the R16 Rims with the WJ Big Brake set up. I had to do some clearance on the Ironman Swaybar extensions. You might check the backspacing between the rims you have and some WJ rims.

Copy, thank you!

Back