• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ DD build

Pat, you should make you and me a set of rear bedside armor/integrated taillight housings.

That would be so rad!! But I donno about a full length lol. maybe like center of wheel well and back.. Couple updates as well coming up

Kind of why I mentioned "rear". Not just "bedside" armor.
I think some sorta of extended protection on the bedside would simplify taillight housing mounting.
I think I want to use the Maxxima Hybrid LED lights that Mnkyboy runs. But you wouldn't have to cut out the tail light box if you didn't want to

Longbed vs short bed will essentially be different with the body line to the fender area anyways. I can get you measurement to longbed fender center if you need it.

is it recommended to weld the 8.8 tubes? Also what prep work should go into welding them besides cleaning the metal. do you need to press the tubes together or anything?

The MJ is looking sweet man, keep it up!

is it recommended to weld the 8.8 tubes? Also what prep work should go into welding them besides cleaning the metal. do you need to press the tubes together or anything?

the tubes are pressed in and I believe have a couple plug welds holding them in. Welding the tubes to the center section will keep the center section form spinning under high torque loads. Its a good idea to preheat the area since you will be welding to the cast center section. If you don't the welds can crack.

The MJ is looking sweet man, keep it up!

the tubes are pressed in and I believe have a couple plug welds holding them in. Welding the tubes to the center section will keep the center section form spinning under high torque loads. Its a good idea to preheat the area since you will be welding to the cast center section. If you don't the welds can crack.

Ok! So clean off the weld area, then hit it with a blow torch? Then weld? I fee like it would be kindof hard to preheat the entire weld area at once, do you stitch weld it?

Cast keeps its heat pretty well. Once you start welding it will keep it hot as well so you dont need to stitch weld it... you should also take time to let it cool as slowly as possible too.

Cast keeps its heat pretty well. Once you start welding it will keep it hot as well so you dont need to stitch weld it... you should also take time to let it cool as slowly as possible too.

Ok so blowtorch it then weld it then put a space hearer on it for a bit so it doesnt get shocked by the cold winter air

I used a propylene torch for preheat and then threw a HF moving blanket on it. It's a frigid 65-75 degrees here so it cooled well. Worked great and I actually didn't clean any of the crud off aside from a wire brush. I'm sure I got some porosity in some but I don't think I'll have an issue unless I swap a v8 :D

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Just ordered Synergys lowpro Perches and plates. Also grabbed a spicer flange to 1310 adapter. I cleaned the mounts all off tonight! The brakes on it were brand new so I just need to clean some stuff up and weld the other crap on. Probably do 3 passes on each side of the perches. This Miller surprised me. Seems to be a bit hotter than my Hobart although it could be because I haven't burned Flux in a while :shrug:

I'm going to SOA the 8.8. Looking into options for leaves. Seeing about a Explorer bastard pack or a j10/wagoneer bastard. Or maybe something else I find! I'll be a test dummy.

Trying to keep it LOW after soa. Shooting for 4.5" over stock. Also decided if I'm going to 4wd swap. I might just look for a 44 that's built. Or somewhat built. That's a long ways out.

Some fun things I've been working on.. Got the carrier and shafts out of the 8.8.. Decided I'm going to make very low pro perches out of 3/8" flat plate and gussets with U-Bolt eliminators.

Went wheeling and shooting out at Osceola National forest was a ton of fun.. Very cool and completely different from CA forests.. All pines.

Built a crazy clearance bumper out of 1.5"x3". Had to cut a **** ton of stuff. Gussets in the corners and tie ins to the factory brackets.. Need to trim the tailgate more in the morning. Ignore that little shackle in the back :D
Couple pics:

I like that bumper. I can get you some receiver tube man.

Are you really gonna run short shocks? Or go through the bed?

Back